Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Wish park cafe - Hove

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I know it probably seems petty to many but I was really irritated when I went to buy a drink at the Wish Park cafe Today . They have a big wide terraced area in front of the cafe. Yes they have taken away the chairs but all they have done is write on paper and stuck done with sellotape a 2 metre warning which you can barely read as it’s so small.

With a tiny bit of effort and a very small outlay they could have had a few half decent large laminated signs and sectioned that area off so that people have to form a proper queue .

When I politely mentioned to the woman in charge whose the owner , she simply said it seems to be working ok as it is. Clueless about social distancing.

Yes I know it not a big business but a little bit of effort would make everyone feel a lot safer . It’s just laziness in my opinion .

Rant over .

Seeing as the business has been closed for ages and has had no income perhaps spending on large laminated signs is a cost that can wait a while. Alternatively maybe you could make the signs as a goodwill gesture?

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Seems a shame to ruin a small local business, for one person's opinion.

Sure a Starbucks with Corporate money and signs will love this kind of reaction.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If you're not happy with the cafe, don't go again. If you're worried about people not social distancing, don't go somewhere small where distancing is difficult if not practically impossible. Or, deliberately put yourself in positions which can generate a good moan. The choice is yours.

This is what they mean about the new normal isnt it?

People going out their way to moan, or moaning about something they dont do anyway.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know it probably seems petty to many but I was really irritated when I went to buy a drink at the Wish Park cafe Today . They have a big wide terraced area in front of the cafe. Yes they have taken away the chairs but all they have done is write on paper and stuck done with sellotape a 2 metre warning which you can barely read as it’s so small.

With a tiny bit of effort and a very small outlay they could have had a few half decent large laminated signs and sectioned that area off so that people have to form a proper queue .

When I politely mentioned to the woman in charge whose the owner , she simply said it seems to be working ok as it is. Clueless about social distancing.

Yes I know it not a big business but a little bit of effort would make everyone feel a lot safer . It’s just laziness in my opinion .

Rant over .

Anyone that needs a sign to tell them about social distancing nowadays isn't going to pay any attention to a sign anyway. Waste of time.

I apologise for my previous post. Of course what I should have said was that there should be signs just in case anyone without a degree happens to wander in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Rant over .

I don't recall that your posts normally inspire me to nod in agreement (I may be wrong, but that's my recollection) but, on this occasion certainly, I am doing so. I don't understand why you are getting pelters, either. Of course shops/cafes etc must set up social distancing. If only one person in ten is a dimbot, that will be one dimbit blowing virus on ten if social distancing isn't observed. I counted about 7 people who appeared from byond my peripheral vision and brushed past me yesterday. That simply shouldn't be happening and exemplifies the difference between us and Germany.

And I am setting aside any arguments about 'we need to mix to build up herd immunity' and 'we can't stay in lockdown forever'. That is irrelevant given that the official advice is follow the social distancing rules (and I think the nature of official advice is very important in this country, which is on the hairy-arse end of the risk-taking spectrum). Frankly I sometimes feel the only way we can 'be alert' (to the encroachment of people appearing behind us from nowhere) is to tie a weight to a six foot long string and whirl around our head at all times.

Incidentally, LBTS, I presume you are a vocal and vehement critic of Cummings and the tories on their shit handling of Covid? I can't recall your stance. Just curious.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I went there on Saturday about midday. No probs at all. One person in front, one behind, everyone respected social distancing. The park was pretty busy as well, so my guess is that the cafe isn't getting huge footfall.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
5749543841_576d5d0f66_b.jpg

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
cant believe you have tried to tell a member of the multi tasking master race what to do ????
outrageous behaviour from a bloke !
Learn your lesson young man

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Seems a shame to ruin a small local business, for one person's opinion.

Sure a Starbucks with Corporate money and signs will love this kind of reaction.

I am def not trying to ruin their business or anyone’s business . I just think they could have made a bit of an effort to make people feel more safe and well ...appreciated for their custom .

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I don't recall that your posts normally inspire me to nod in agreement (I may be wrong, but that's my recollection) but, on this occasion certainly, I am doing so. I don't understand why you are getting pelters, either. Of course shops/cafes etc must set up social distancing. If only one person in ten is a dimbot, that will be one dimbit blowing virus on ten if social distancing isn't observed. I counted about 7 people who appeared from byond my peripheral vision and brushed past me yesterday. That simply shouldn't be happening and exemplifies the difference between us and Germany.

And I am setting aside any arguments about 'we need to mix to build up herd immunity' and 'we can't stay in lockdown forever'. That is irrelevant given that the official advice is follow the social distancing rules (and I think the nature of official advice is very important in this country, which is on the hairy-arse end of the risk-taking spectrum). Frankly I sometimes feel the only way we can 'be alert' (to the encroachment of people appearing behind us from nowhere) is to tie a weight to a six foot long string and whirl around our head at all times.

I didn’t in any way support Corbyn, as I thought he was a nasty piece of work but I do think Keir is a far better leader and I would consider voting labour with him in charge possibly . Depends on their policies . I agree Covid has not been well handled by the govt , especially when they have had lots of examples of countries handling the crisis far better and as a result having far fewer deaths per ahead of population . Eg Australia , New Zealand , C. Republic & Israel spring to mind .

I’m not a fan of Cummings, I think he is as bad as Corbyn in his own way .

Incidentally, LBTS, I presume you are a vocal and vehement critic of Cummings and the tories on their shit handling of Covid? I can't recall your stance. Just curious.[/didn’t in any way support Corbyn, as I thought he was a nasty piece of work but I do think Keir is a far better leader and I would consider voting labour with him in charge possibly . Depends on their policies . I agree Covid has not been well handled by the govt , especially when they have had lots of examples of countries handling the crisis far better and as a result having far fewer deaths per ahead of population . Eg Australia , New Zealand , C. Republic & Israel spring to mind .

I’m not a fan of Cummings, I think he is as bad as Corbyn in his own way .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here