Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Advice needed: Buying a drill

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I started out with a single ryobi drill, jsut for DIY stuff. now have a car buffer, jigsaw, hammer drill, screwdriver and hedgetrimmer of theirs. All working well still!

I have the combi hammer drill, multi-tool and lawn mower! :D

I was going to get their chainsaw but just couldn’t justify the price vs a corded version for the amount I’d use it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I like the DeWalt stuff, initially bought their impact wrench for use on the car and ended up getting their combi drill and impact driver. Absolutely love the driver and is the tool I've used the most, any excuse to whip it out. Flat pack furniture is a breeze with it.
The original dewalt was really good quality the shite they sell in screwfix is often the end of a bad range. I’ve a 10 year old battery drill which has out lived three of the newer models and still going strong. I believe the screwfix range is black & decker with dewalt colours and stickers. If you go to the official dewalt site and enter model numbers from Screwfix you will find many have been discontinued.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
The original dewalt was really good quality the shite they sell in screwfix is often the end of a bad range. I’ve a 10 year old battery drill which has out lived three of the newer models and still going strong. I believe the screwfix range is black & decker with dewalt colours and stickers. If you go to the official dewalt site and enter model numbers from Screwfix you will find many have been discontinued.

Good job I didn't get it from Screwfix then, I'm just a fairly incompetent DIYer but had the DeWalt impact wrench for working on the car, it worked out cheaper to get their combi and impact driver using the same battery system than get another brand. The only thing I'm annoyed with is they don't do a battery powered ratchet.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
My advise would be to look at what Which recommend as they test everything . Buying a drill would be as alien to me as getting on a space ship . I’ll leave drilling to workmen who know how to use them . I can barely use a screwdriver !

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Thanks again to all for the advice - it sounds like I can't really go wrong for the purposes I need it for!

In the end I have got myself a DeWalt DCD795 as it seemed to be on a good clearance offer from Toolstation. Only came with one (small) battery but seemed decent value even then, and it'll be enough to get me started. Plus it'll give me an excuse to buy something else to get a second battery :whistle:

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne
Thanks again to all for the advice - it sounds like I can't really go wrong for the purposes I need it for!

In the end I have got myself a DeWalt DCD795 as it seemed to be on a good clearance offer from Toolstation. Only came with one (small) battery but seemed decent value even then, and it'll be enough to get me started. Plus it'll give me an excuse to buy something else to get a second battery :whistle:

Good choice.

Now all you need to do is buy another couple of batteries. And another combi, one for drilling, one for screwing. And a Jigsaw. And a circular saw. Don't forget the sander. Or the router. An Angle grinder comes in useful every few years too.....:whistle:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've never owned or used an electric drill in all my 50+ years and don't intend to. Once borrowed an electric screwdriver from a mate com it was carnage!

So how did you make holes before cordless drills which first emerged in the early 1980's? Brace?

My dad bought me a corded B&D drill in 1983 when I left home and it finally died last year so I got 35+ years use out of it [DIY only] - now have a £25 [cheepo] cordless and a decent Bosch hammer corded - between them they meet my needs ....

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Diy’ers seem to have identical kits, I often see them under the stairs or in the garage on jobs. A green Bosch battery drill usually the one that takes a day to charge, Stanley black & yellow screwdriver set and a hammer. Single women often have the crappy little Ikea tool set.

Now this really gets me, I’ve unloaded a load of my kit into their house professional tools all over the gaff and they go ‘ oh I’ve some tools in the cupboard if you need them’

I mean come one why would I ever need to use your kiddie tool kit ffs :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here