Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Advice needed: Buying a drill

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Looking for a bit of advice/recommendations from the good folk of NSC; I'm after a cordless drill for a bit of home diy - I've not needed one before and the range of options seems to be pretty much infinite, so was wondering if anyone could recommend what's actually needed?

It will just be used for fairly small jobs initially (e.g. putting some shelving into the walls) so don't need anything super powerful, but equally would like some thing decent that will last, and with a bit of headroom for when my ambitions expand! Assuming a combi-drill would be the best option, and with a budget in the £100-£200 bracket, I was looking at the Bosch 'Universal Impact' as it seems to tick a lot of boxes in terms of functionality, price and the range of other equipment which shares the same battery (I realise that, whichever one I go with, I'll then be locked into that brand to some extent).

However, its stated max torque is 30Nm, which seems a bit low compared to others. Has anyone got one of these and able to give an honest assessment?

How much torque do you you really need?

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bosch are generally good.

what ever you do make sure you get a hammer drill option for masonary ( assuming you have proper walls) and 2 batteries so you don't have to stop and wait . . . .

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
610iZkYw0bL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=18V+ONE+™+LITHIUM-ION+STARTER+DRILL+KIT+ryobi&ref=nb_sb_noss

Ideal for small DIY jobs, had it a couple of years no problems. :thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I got this exact drill last week, been fine for the relatively small DIY jobs I've used it for. Seemed good value for a good brand and included a couple of batteries

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Combi drill /screwdriver
Makita or Dewalt
As stated by the OP
The hammer option enables you to drill
Into brick /masonry
With out checking the exact model
Steer clear of the impact guns
As they don't have the clutch settings
That Combi drills do
If your putting up shelves per say
You can overtighten with the impact

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Erbauer in Screwfix does decent budget power tools. I got a combi drill and impact driver last year and really happy with both.

Obviously you can't argue with Makita, Dewalt and Bosh kit but if it's double the price it's not good value for the DIYer.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Combi drill /screwdriver
Makita or Dewalt
As stated by the OP
The hammer option enables you to drill
Into brick /masonry
With out checking the exact model
Steer clear of the impact guns
As they don't have the clutch settings
That Combi drills do
If your putting up shelves per say
You can overtighten with the impact

Weird looking haiku

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Thanks all, very much appreciated. Yep, will need to go into brickwork, so was assuming I'd need the hammer option, but we're not talking massing holes so a full on hammer drill would be over the top.

Hadn't considered Ryobi, but that looks a decent option, will investigate.

I was a bit wary of the cheaper brands but is that misplaced?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Thanks all, very much appreciated. Yep, will need to go into brickwork, so was assuming I'd need the hammer option, but we're not talking massing holes so a full on hammer drill would be over the top.

As others have said a combi drill should cover all bases. Think you're thinking of an SDS hammer drill that's OTT, but you deffo need the hammer option on a combi to go into brick. That Ryobi one will do the job.

Regarding budget ranges, in my experience the budget stuff in B&Q is crap and packs up pretty quickly. What I've had from Toolstation and Screwfix has been decent, better than the entry options of the big brands.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Makita, I have 3, I wouldn’t buy anything else.

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne

I use Makita tools and am really happy with them, combi's, impact driver and other 18v tools in the system.
However, I borrowed my neighbors Dewalt combi a couple of weeks ago and that was something else! I didn't have my Impact driver with me and my combi wasn't powerful enough, but the Dewalt combi had no problems.
He has this one - DCD778D2T-GB - it's small batteries and longer charge time than the Makita equivalent, but for DIY it will be fine.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Get a twin pack - doubles up your battery, and if drilling & screwing no need to change the tools

I got this a year ago and have done a kitchen , and 2 bedrooms with the assoiated drilling, shelves, cunbaords etc

the impact driver is v torquey but just be gentle with it

https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/kits-twinpacks/cat830712

DeWalt DCK2060D2T-SFGB 18V 2.0Ah Li-Ion XR Brushless Cordless Combi Drill and Impact Driver Twin Pack (210HF)

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I use my bosch stuff at work, dewalt at home. I also have parkside and ferrex(lidl and aldi). Wouldn't knock 'em until you try 'em, they're adequate. They're not designed for professional, continuous use but ideal for entry level diy stuff

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
I wanted a cheapo one so I bought a Mac Allister just for the name. It's ok but not really powerful enough for screwdrivering in hard wood. Nice carrying case though. I call it Alexis.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i wouldnt have thought torque was very important, the bit does the work with wood/steel and the hammer action for masonry.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here