Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Hosepipe advice.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We're thinking of purchasing a new hosepipe for garden, never had one before, always lugging watering cans around to garden.
Have been looking at various types of expandable hoses.
Any advice would be grateful on whether the expandable hose is better than the normal solid type.
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We're thinking of purchasing a new hosepipe for garden, never had one before, always lugging watering cans around to garden.
Any advice would be grateful on whether the expandable hose is better than the normal solid type.

I haven't got one but have connected a few when installing outside taps, I suppose the advantages are they probably don't kink like some normal types, and they take up less room.
Make sure you buy one long enough though, unlike one of my customers that snapped off the new tap in her garage, the hose wasn't long enough to stretch to the end of her car on the drive. :wozza:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

We had a cheaper expandable and I could never stop it leaking at the tap connection. Must be some now with 5/5 reviews at amazon and Argos. Preferably I’d go for an unkinkable old style hose but dearer.

Did you hear about the 2 Spanish fireman?

Jose and Hose B.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'd suggest 4 key considerations
1. How long is your distance needs? i.e furthest point from where tap is/will be sited.
2. Will it be for hand spraying only, or lawn sprinkler / feed to jet-washer, etc.
3. Intended storage - where will it be kept when not in use - how tidy do you want to be?
4. longevity - there are multiple types of hose quality, some last a few years whilst others can work great for decades.

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.
Hozelock is also a must-have [other brands available] as this enables endless options [no pun intended]

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
We bought an expandable one and it was rubbish, soon when back to a proper rubber one on a winding reel that works much better.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’ve had one of these for a couple of years, 100ft version, very pleased
063f183ab97c00458cf59f1be0c489ca.jpg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I changed my standard Hozelock to a Hozelock 'Ultimate' Hose and it is much better for not bending as easy + seems harder wearing so no holes etc

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I haven't got one but have connected a few when installing outside taps, I suppose the advantages are they probably don't kink like some normal types, and they take up less room.
Make sure you buy one long enough though, unlike one of my customers that snapped off the new tap in her garage, the hose wasn't long enough to stretch to the end of her car on the drive. :wozza:

We had a cheaper expandable and I could never stop it leaking at the tap connection. Must be some now with 5/5 reviews at amazon and Argos. Preferably I’d go for an unkinkable old style hose but dearer.

Did you hear about the 2 Spanish fireman?

Jose and Hose B.

We bought an expandable one and it was rubbish, soon when back to a proper rubber one on a winding reel that works much better.

I’ve had one of these for a couple of years, 100ft version, very pleased
063f183ab97c00458cf59f1be0c489ca.jpg

I changed my standard Hozelock to a Hozelock 'Ultimate' Hose and it is much better for not bending as easy + seems harder wearing so no holes etc

Bought an expandable one earlier in the year ..son used it once and kaput!

How long a hose was Mrs AR after :whistle:

Apparently there is a fantastic hose shop in Barnards Castle.
Just a thought.

Screwfix have a good choice of normal type hose pipes, there will probably be a hose pipe ban when you buy one. :)

My vote would be for a regular Garden Hose, never had any issues

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Have decided to go for a HozeLock expandable 100ft from Amazon :thumbsup:
(yes thru the NSC link)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Said it before and I'm sure I'll be saying it again soon:-

Football will be the ruin of this place, now where are my slippers. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here