Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Happy birthday to two Albion t-shirt icons.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Never realised that Johnny Crumplin 'Football Genius' and Clive 'Flash' Walker shared the same birthday, albeit a decade apart.

Crumps turns 53 today whilst Clive is 63.

Happy birthday Gents, many happy memories of season 90/91.

Whilst Crumps was the pioneer of the Gulls Eye t/shirts, Walkers had to be modified, we had wanted to go with 'Flash, AHA, Saviour of the Albion', in homage to not only Clive but also Freddie Mercury, but our t/shirt man, a certain Mr Dave Costa, step son of Liz, thought it might be misconstrued as a reference to an urban myth from the 1970's, which I've never seen any concrete evidence of, so we went with Britain's Fastest Winger, although even then some Rugby League nut from the Frozen North took issue with me in a bar in Portugal that summer claiming it was Martin Offiah not our Clive.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Indeed great memories of both. Crumps is the perfect example of how to respond to criticism. From being the boo boys target he just put his head down and ultimately became a cult hero. Memories that stick in my mind were the 35 yard screamer at home. Was it Burnley on a boxing day? And of course the performance against Liverpool and the back post header v Leeds.

As for Flash my clearest memory is slightly obscure one. I always maintain that worst match I've ever seen was us away to John Beck's hoofball team with Dublin and Claridge. It was cold and wet and the Abbey stadium was a dump. Never have I wanted a game to be over as it was so poor. However, salvation was in sight when in the dying minutes Clive was put through on the keeper. Inexplicably he managed to scuff it past the post.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
20200526_142716.jpg

Didn't they have this whiskey named after them :D

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Indeed great memories of both. Crumps is the perfect example of how to respond to criticism. From being the boo boys target he just put his head down and ultimately became a cult hero. Memories that stick in my mind were the 35 yard screamer at home. Was it Burnley on a boxing day? And of course the performance against Liverpool and the back post header v Leeds.

As for Flash my clearest memory is slightly obscure one. I always maintain that worst match I've ever seen was us away to John Beck's hoofball team with Dublin and Claridge. It was cold and wet and the Abbey stadium was a dump. Never have I wanted a game to be over as it was so poor. However, salvation was in sight when in the dying minutes Clive was put through on the keeper. Inexplicably he managed to scuff it past the post.

Yes l remember seeing Flash miss quite a few one on one chances. The one l prefer to remember him by though, is a clinical fiish at home to Millwall in a Play Off Semi Final at the Goldstone, which we won 4-1.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Vaguely remember newspaper reports concerning Clive Walker and an incident in his Chelsea days which you allude to and agree with Mr Costa that it could have been misconstrued.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I ,too immediately thought of JCs absolute cracker, and then, the first time my nephew heard me use the F word.
When the Football Genius nutmegged John Barnes in the Anfield Cup game.
****ing hell, did you see that??

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The one l prefer to remember him by though, is a clinical fiish at home to Millwall.

He did indeed put that fiish into the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Never realised that Johnny Crumplin 'Football Genius' and Clive 'Flash' Walker shared the same birthday, albeit a decade apart.

Whilst Crumps was the pioneer of the Gulls Eye t/shirts, Walkers had to be modified, we had wanted to go with 'Flash, AHA, Saviour of the Albion', in homage to not only Clive but also Freddie Mercury, but our t/shirt man, a certain Mr Dave Costa, step son of Liz, thought it might be misconstrued as a reference to an urban myth from the 1970's, which I've never seen any concrete evidence of, so we went with Britain's Fastest Winger, although even then some Rugby League nut from the Frozen North took issue with me in a bar in Portugal that summer claiming it was Martin Offiah not our Clive.

Ian,wasn't there some controversy with Johnny Crumplins tee shirt? Didn't he get a bit shirty:)lolol:) about you using his image without permission,or something?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Walker took Millwall to bits in the playoffs and Crumps had John Barnes in his pocket for 90 minutes. Happy days.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Ian,wasn't there some controversy with Johnny Crumplins tee shirt? Didn't he get a bit shirty:)lolol:) about you using his image without permission,or something?

No he made some comment about in the press about the profits going to charity, until we ‘semi politely’ pointed out that Gulls Eye were in the process of having to pay of a £9,000 legal bill for being sued after suggesting all was not well in the Goldstone Boardroom.

Of course our suggestions were unfounded, and the club didn’t have to sell the ground and nearly drop out of the Football League or go bust 🙈

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Walker took Millwall to bits in the playoffs and Crumps had John Barnes in his pocket for 90 minutes. Happy days.

Rarely have l been more nervous at a football match as l was in the 2nd leg of that Pay Off semi at the old Den. When the Millwall grannies realised that the game was up they set fire to the terracing on one side of the pitch.

What pleasant people they were.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Rarely have l been more nervous at a football match as l was in the 2nd leg of that Pay Off semi at the old Den. When the Millwall grannies realised that the game was up they set fire to the terracing on one side of the pitch.

What pleasant people they were.

You will also recall they set fire to a Metropolitan Policeman's helmet, thankfully he wasn't wearing it at the time...….

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
You will also recall they set fire to a Metropolitan Policeman's helmet, thankfully he wasn't wearing it at the time...….

Beat me to it. Fortunately the glow of victory allowed us to laugh but if my memory serves it was still 45 mins before they let us out!

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Beat me to it. Fortunately the glow of victory allowed us to laugh but if my memory serves it was still 45 mins before they let us out!

And we were very pleased with the police guarding us all the way back to the station with all the local nutjobs trying get at us down every side street. One of the great nights following the Albion:D The final, not so much:(

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Loved my Simply The Best t-shirt. Lasted ages too. Who would you do / what would they say , if you re-releaseD them for existing squad members?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Loved my Simply The Best t-shirt. Lasted ages too. Who would you do / what would they say , if you re-releaseD them for existing squad members?

Top 6 Solly is already in development, along with a depiction of The Pope absolving Glenn for playing for Palace.

I would imagine it would be a matter of minutes before club contact was made if an attempt was made to roll back the years.

You've got me thinking here, in all seriousness, with my favourite Charity, Chestnut Tree House urgently needing funding at the moment, do you think a 100 of each of the original t shirts, ie, Crumps, Wilkins, Digweed, Small, Chiv and Walker would sell for a very good cause?

I'm thinking people basically buy the set of 6, what do you think?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Top 6 Solly is already in development, along with a depiction of The Pope absolving Glenn for playing for Palace.

I would imagine it would be a matter of minutes before club contact was made if an attempt was made to roll back the years.

You've got me thinking here, in all seriousness, with my favourite Charity, Chestnut Tree House urgently needing funding at the moment, do you think a 100 of each of the original t shirts, ie, Crumps, Wilkins, Digweed, Small, Chiv and Walker would sell for a very good cause?

I'm thinking people basically buy the set of 6, what do you think?

They’d sell.
Pm me if you do it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here