Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stockdale let go..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I imagine they don't give a shit about my opinion, and frankly, neither should you.

It's just a shame they ALL didn't quite give enough of a shit to win the bestest trophy in football.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Yeah a hero of the promotion season.
Will be fondly remembered by me.

Hope he got a good deal from Harry and doesn't need to worry about money.
It will be difficult for him to pick up a decent deal now.

Managers don't 'do deals' anymore, Chief Execs do them. HR would've played no part in the salary negotiations.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Did very well for us. End of contract only interested in money and would have signed for anyone. Assume his first season at Birmingham where Rednapp was was throwing money away was ok. After that looked like just happy to see his contract out and rake in the money. Will always be something that grates with me about football that players with contracts can just sit on backside and still earn a fortune. The employment rules that came in meaning clubs to protect investment have to extend contracts before last one is over has a lot to answer for.

It was Birmingham's money not Redknapps. Managers don't fund signings and salary's.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It was Birmingham's money not Redknapps. Managers don't fund signings and salary's.

Indeed, and if History shows us anything, it's that Harry is very good at spending other people's money.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Another vote for his double save against Sheffield Wednesday being one of the standout moments of our promotion season. It was breathtaking stuff.

All the best Stockers!

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Indeed, and if History shows us anything, it's that Harry is very good at spending other people's money.

All managers are good at that. Can never understand the snobbery on here towards HR, he had a really good managerial career. Maybe if he didn't speak with a cockney accent the snobs on here wouldn't be so quick to condemn.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That is a cracking answer!! Difficult to disagree!!! Have a good day Dazzer.

Norwich away was more like a party than a football match..........never enjoyed a defeat so much :lolol::lolol: Lost to a team that had literally no shots on target thanks to 2 bouncing in off Stockdale, and very noisily singing 'Alex Pritchard is a ******' as he was being interviewed after getting MOM. With hindsight should have been more annoyed we didn't seal the title there............

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Did very well for us. End of contract only interested in money and would have signed for anyone. Assume his first season at Birmingham where Rednapp was was throwing money away was ok. After that looked like just happy to see his contract out and rake in the money. Will always be something that grates with me about football that players with contracts can just sit on backside and still earn a fortune. The employment rules that came in meaning clubs to protect investment have to extend contracts before last one is over has a lot to answer for.

You need to take it up with the people that write contracts. Not sure it is anything to do with employment rules, more the individual contract. I don't know for sure but he was on a reasonable wedge which Birmingham couldn't really afford but if he had played a certain number of games for them that triggered a clause that they had to offer a new contract which they obviously didn't want to do hence the contract ran down and he left on a free.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Norwich away was more like a party than a football match..........never enjoyed a defeat so much :lolol::lolol: Lost to a team that had literally no shots on target thanks to 2 bouncing in off Stockdale, and very noisily singing 'Alex Pritchard is a ******' as he was being interviewed after getting MOM. With hindsight should have been more annoyed we didn't seal the title there............

Yes that was hard to take, especially as the lads were playing as if they had a bottle of Becks in each hand. Even a half reasonable performance would have earned us a point, and thus the title.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
All managers are good at that. Can never understand the snobbery on here towards HR, he had a really good managerial career. Maybe if he didn't speak with a cockney accent the snobs on here wouldn't be so quick to condemn.

I think there probably is a bit of that to be honest. I listened to him on the Peter Crouch podcast last week and thought he was great.

But you can't deny that he has happened to leave a very high ratio of his clubs just before they face severe financial difficulties. Maybe he is just very good at convincing chairmen to part with their cash as you say. He's also a bit of a throwback - very much a manager rather than a coach, one who always seemed to be much more involved in transfers than the majority of top level managers at the same time as him.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I seem to remember that there was a great deal of speulation on here during his last season with Albion as to wether he would stay. He cannily said nothing, but I've wondered since if he really did want to leave. What was even stramger was that he then ended up as deputy to Kuszack at Birmingham and in the end neither got a game there at all. A slimmed down (yes!) Stockdakle popped up down the road at Wycombe Wanderers for a week's loan but nothing more was heard of him. Given that he cost (I think) a million from Fulham when he came to Albion the whole thing is a puzzle, to me...

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I think there probably is a bit of that to be honest. I listened to him on the Peter Crouch podcast last week and thought he was great.

But you can't deny that he has happened to leave a very high ratio of his clubs just before they face severe financial difficulties. Maybe he is just very good at convincing chairmen to part with their cash as you say. He's also a bit of a throwback - very much a manager rather than a coach, one who always seemed to be much more involved in transfers than the majority of top level managers at the same time as him.

How many clubs has he left in the sh*t? How do you know he was 'always much more involved in transfers than the majority of top managers?' Have you proof of this?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
How many clubs has he left in the sh*t? How do you know he was 'always much more involved in transfers than the majority of top managers?' Have you proof of this?

You've misquoted him there.

He said "seemed to be much more involved" which implies a degree of opinion rather than an outright statement of fact as your misquote seems to show.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

As said above, no proof, just a random opinion/observation from afar. But we all saw the rolled down window on deadline day and the "he's a terrific player" quotes. It was just in an era where managers tended to keep quiet on transfers and let people behind the scenes do the work. Pretty sure Bournemouth, Southampton, Portsmouth and QPR all struggled with expenditure after he'd left to varying extents.

It was a random throwaway comment about a massive football personality, wasn't expecting such a staunch defence of him to be launched on a BHA messageboard!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Totally agree with you, Redknapp was a quality coach and manager who turned Spuds from decades of near nothingness into a team that could compete in Europe and at the top of the PL.

It wasn’t his fault that his hopeless boss Peter Storrie at Portsmouth did a Risdale and bankrupted the club. When Poyet demanded yet more spending on players, Bloom eventually said “no”, because the Albion are led by a businessman, not an idiot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here