Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Somerset hospital closed to new patients to halt spread of coronavirus

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A general hospital in Somerset has temporarily stopped accepting new patients in an attempt to stop the spread of Covid-19 on site.

Weston general hospital in Weston-super-Mare stopped taking admissions, including into its A&E department, from 8am on Monday “to maintain patient and staff safety”.

The hospital had experienced a “spike” in infections "

A second wave has already begun?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
A general hospital in Somerset has temporarily stopped accepting new patients in an attempt to stop the spread of Covid-19 on site.

Weston general hospital in Weston-super-Mare stopped taking admissions, including into its A&E department, from 8am on Monday “to maintain patient and staff safety”.

I think more logically we are likely to see a wave where perhaps people are now moving around the country more a la Cummings.

Previous infection rates are likely to have been lower in the West Country so any increase looks like a second wave whereas in reality it’s like importing cases from another country.

If we see the same in London or Birmingham then perhaps it’s time to worry.

Yoda

English & European

Sounds to me that patients being admitted to the Green Zone (Non-CV19 side) have been contracting the disease, so some form of cross contamination from the Red Zone (Covid Wards) has been happening.

Very good move if this has been happening if you ask me.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sounds to me that patients being admitted to the Green Zone (Non-CV19 side) have been contracting the disease, so some form of cross contamination from the Red Zone (Covid Wards) has been happening.

Very good move if this has been happening if you ask me.

Yes. That’s how I read it as against the titter populist view that it was down to VE celebrations and one conga in Leicestershire :whistle:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bit more flash on the bone...copied across from The Guardian website

Bosses at a UK hospital that has temporarily stopped accepting new patients due to the high number already being treated there with Covid-19 have said there is an “emerging picture of asymptomatic staff testing positive for the virus”.

Weston General Hospital in Weston-super-Mare, in Somerset, stopped taking new admissions, including into its A&E department, from 8am on Monday “to maintain patient and staff safety”.

In an update on Tuesday evening, Dr William Oldfield, the medical director at the University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust, said:

There are currently a high number of patients with coronavirus in the hospital. We have tested all inpatients and will undertake retesting in line with national guidance, and we have appropriate segregation in place for patient care.

Testing for symptomatic staff and household contacts has been offered across the trust since the beginning of April.

In addition, there is an emerging picture of asymptomatic staff testing positive for the virus. Any members of staff who have tested positive have self-isolated in line with national guidance. We are also in the process of testing all staff in clinical areas at the hospital who may have had some patient contact.

Appropriate levels of personal protective equipment (PPE) are available and this is being used in line with Public Health England guidance, and there have been significant efforts to minimise unnecessary staff movements across the hospital.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here