Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Getting a dog

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Plus the ability to cope with a bag of warm stinking poo in your hand twice a day.

Yeah that can get you but I feel the same about my grandkids poo. It’s such a small price to pay if you ‘Get it’

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne
Those eyes :smile: very nice looking dog, someone that lives near me has got a Springer and Cocker cross, a Sprocker I believe, it's stunning.

She certainly knows how to use those eyes for personal gains...

Always had Border Collies before, but we now have two spaniels. I thought Collies had energy, but Spaniels are bonkers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yeah that can get you but I feel the same about my grandkids poo. It’s such a small price to pay if you ‘Get it’

Ah, but the Grandchildren won't always be rolling around in there own pooh and leaving one by the front door ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There are some Spaniels near us, yes they are definitely boxes of frogs

Went for a walk with Mrs V at Findon a few weeks back, a lady was walking towards us with a Spaniel off the lead...… it came steaming towards us tail wagging like crazy but veered off almost as it got to us and instead dived into a water trough on the edge of the path and refused to come out. !

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
She certainly knows how to use those eyes for personal gains...

Always had Border Collies before, but we now have two spaniels. I thought Collies had energy, but Spaniels are bonkers.

Some friends have got a young working Cocker, definitely bonkers. If we walk 5 miles I'm sure she does 10 with all the running around.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s a 5 year degree course to be a vet . So whilst not the 7 years required to be a medical consultant, it’s a highly skilled job . So don’t be that surprised when the bills as you say aren’t cheap !

What irritates me is when a basic brickie whose probably spent 3 months job shadowing a builder , had the cheek to quote me £750 for less than 2 days work to do some repointing . I won’t pay more than £250 per day for any tradesmen unless it’s at least semi skilled like a plasterer and even then I begrudge paying people that kind of money to people who don’t even have a degree. Not trying to sound pompous or on a wind up but I think it’s only fair that people that worked hard at school and at further education should be paid more . It always used to be like that , tradesmen have only been really earning good money since the 1970’s onwards .
Firstly I wasn’t moaning about paying the vets bill simply stating it’s something to consider when owning a dog.

Not sure why you started bashing tradesman maybe it’s because I’m a sparky ??? And for the record I’ve probably studied for seven years including update courses to be fully qualified & competent.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
For years, my wife and kids have been nagging to get a dog and my efforts to postpone the inevitable are as flimsy as Boris defence of the Cumquat. Whilst I know what will happen - after 2 weeks I'll be the only one walking the thing whilst the kids smash the PS4 - I've cracked and starting to think of the practicalities of owning one and bagging a turd in the morning before work.

Advice from the floor please as I don't know where to start

Do's, don'ts, makes, models, stories of how it changes the dynamic in the house but none about dogs at work. I've read enough about those on here. One of us is working at home so it won't be lonely.

I guess we want one that isn't on the go all the time, not massive or has more hair than Richard Keyes and I don't want a small yappy one like scrappy do or an angry one that looks like it wants to eat small children. Mrs would like a cockapoo or similar but they are upwards of a grand FFS.
I would think very seriously if you’ve got the time and patience that being a dog owner takes
It is a lovely addition to the family but having my Labrador completely changed my life
He was my mate and I loved him but he was exceptionally hard work he would eat anything when out off the lead except dog shit but he would often eat human shit which often made him sick that night so a horrible mess in the morning
He was always hungry constantly rolling in fox shit which absolutely stinks and pulled like mad when on the lead unless he was knackered. I had him with me all day in my truck for many years but when my job changed his routine changed and involved a dog walker 3 mornings a week
2017 I had a hip replacement and the 6 months leading up to it were very difficult re walking him and looking after him as I live alone so I made the decision to rehome him he went to Devon to a retired couple and despite all my moaning and groaning about him it almost killed me it felt almost as bad as when my dad died
I wouldn’t get another dog
If you’ve got help,time,space and patience go for it
Good luck I might have just been unlucky

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Firstly I wasn’t moaning about paying the vets bill simply stating it’s something to consider when owning a dog.

Not sure why you started bashing tradesman maybe it’s because I’m a sparky ??? And for the record I’ve probably studied for seven years including update courses to be fully qualified & competent.

I understand you weren’t moaning . I didn’t intend to bash tradesmen but I do think many of them charge too much for what they do , considering there’s lots of tradesmen that do a similar job , it’s not like they are only a few of them . Nothing personal just don’t think plumbers , electricians etc should earn what a doctor earns .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ah, but the Grandchildren won't always be rolling around in there own pooh and leaving one by the front door ?

Ok veg............. but dogs don’t tap you up.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It’s a 5 year degree course to be a vet . So whilst not the 7 years required to be a medical consultant, it’s a highly skilled job . So don’t be that surprised when the bills as you say aren’t cheap !

What irritates me is when a basic brickie whose probably spent 3 months job shadowing a builder , had the cheek to quote me £750 for less than 2 days work to do some repointing . I won’t pay more than £250 per day for any tradesmen unless it’s at least semi skilled like a plasterer and even then I begrudge paying people that kind of money to people who don’t even have a degree. Not trying to sound pompous or on a wind up but I think it’s only fair that people that worked hard at school and at further education should be paid more . It always used to be like that , tradesmen have only been really earning good money since the 1970’s onwards .

You really are an odd one. ???
Do you really think a bricklayer learned his trade in 3 months?
Why do you think a plasterer is semi-skilled? But you would pay £250+ ??? I would only pay a skilled plasterer to work in my home.
Having a degree :lolol:
You do realise that many tradespeople also have worked hard at school and gone onto further education?
I did 4 years for my plumbing apprenticeship, 4 days working and 1 long day at college weekly. Exams for City & Guilds after 2 years and Exams for advanced C&G after 4 years.

A tradesperson that has their own business also has many outgoings.

You really are pompous or on a wind up, unless you know nothing about the real world.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

What planet is he on?

Live by the sea? Get in the f*****g sea more like. :rant:

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
For years, my wife and kids have been nagging to get a dog and my efforts to postpone the inevitable are as flimsy as Boris defence of the Cumquat. Whilst I know what will happen - after 2 weeks I'll be the only one walking the thing whilst the kids smash the PS4 - I've cracked and starting to think of the practicalities of owning one and bagging a turd in the morning before work.

Advice from the floor please as I don't know where to start

Do's, don'ts, makes, models, stories of how it changes the dynamic in the house but none about dogs at work. I've read enough about those on here. One of us is working at home so it won't be lonely.

I guess we want one that isn't on the go all the time, not massive or has more hair than Richard Keyes and I don't want a small yappy one like scrappy do or an angry one that looks like it wants to eat small children. Mrs would like a cockapoo or similar but they are upwards of a grand FFS.

We caved in 18 months ago as well. Did a lot of research and ended up with an Australian Labradoodle. Don't shed, incredible tenprement, ( similar to Cockapoo) lovely family dog.........however are pretty rare and therefore not cheap.....ours was about £2K

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
You really are an odd one. ???
Do you really think a bricklayer learned his trade in 3 months?
Why do you think a plasterer is semi-skilled? But you would pay £250+ ??? I would only pay a skilled plasterer to work in my home.
Having a degree :lolol:
You do realise that many tradespeople also have worked hard at school and gone onto further education?
I did 4 years for my plumbing apprenticeship, 4 days working and 1 long day at college weekly. Exams for City & Guilds after 2 years and Exams for advanced C&G after 4 years.

A tradesperson that has their own business also has many outgoings.

You really are pompous or on a wind up, unless you know nothing about the real world.

I didn’t realise there was that much studying

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Obviously.

I forgot to mention, a carpenter I know went to private school had a very good education, but wanted to work with his hands.

My apologies, I genuinely did not think there was that much training or learning involved . I stand corrected .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here