Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Huddersfield owner Phil Hodgkinson warns '50 or 60 clubs' could go bust

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Hodgkinson thinks as many as "50 or 60" clubs could go bust.

He says he is looking at a "worst-case scenario" of no fans allowed in stadiums for the 2020-21 season.

"The problem is not whether we finish [this] season or not, it is what happens after that," he told BBC Sport.

Having previously owned National League North side Southport, Hodgkinson has experience of the hand-to-mouth existence of many lower-league clubs.

"If we don't come to an agreement there will be no football pyramid. There are clubs I know of that are only still trading because they are deferring wages and [tax] and other creditors. They will need paying at some point," Hodgkinson said.

"There is an absolutely real, stark probability that if something isn't agreed now within football to ensure all clubs can pay their bills and get through to the point where income is resumed, you will be looking at 50 or 60 clubs ceasing to exist. Genuinely, I am talking about that many."

Is anyone else concerned by this?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hodgkinson thinks as many as "50 or 60" clubs could go bust.

He says he is looking at a "worst-case scenario" of no fans allowed in stadiums for the 2020-21 season.

"The problem is not whether we finish [this] season or not, it is what happens after that," he told BBC Sport.

Having previously owned National League North side Southport, Hodgkinson has experience of the hand-to-mouth existence of many lower-league clubs.

"If we don't come to an agreement there will be no football pyramid. There are clubs I know of that are only still trading because they are deferring wages and [tax] and other creditors. They will need paying at some point," Hodgkinson said.

"There is an absolutely real, stark probability that if something isn't agreed now within football to ensure all clubs can pay their bills and get through to the point where income is resumed, you will be looking at 50 or 60 clubs ceasing to exist. Genuinely, I am talking about that many."

Is anyone else concerned by this?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Erm....probably provoke more of a debate by asking who isn’t

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One thing is for sure, they'll be a shit load of football on television for the next few months. It's an income clubs need and could work well.

If someone said £x a month to watch any league match any time folk would sign up in their droves.

I can see this being looked at to try and get finance in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’s right. Simon Jordan was also quality on TS tonight, on this subject.

Two things need to change as soon as possible imo:

Players need to be paid far less at all the clubs losing money through the 92 ... which is most clubs. Not as a short term measure, but as a permanent change. Spanish football expert Graham Hunter said today that Spain’s second tier clubs do not face financial oblivion, because they pay far more modest player wages than in the EFL.

8 players at Massive earn between £1m and £2m a year. It’s a joke.

The PL need to distribute more money down the food-chain. BUT, this would be a complete waste of time, if EFL clubs simply blow it on higher fees/wages than they would’ve paid without it, racking up the same old losses.

The BBC published this on 12th December, how right this was.

6CC312A1-3363-4C13-AA8E-4CAD1E48BB37.png

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He’s right. Simon Jordan was also quality on TS tonight, on this subject.

Two things need to change as soon as possible imo:

Players need to be paid far less at all the clubs losing money through the 92 ... which is most clubs. Not as a short term measure, but as a permanent change. Spanish football expert Graham Hunter said today that Spain’s second tier clubs do not face financial oblivion, because they pay far more modest player wages than in the EFL.

8 players at Massive earn between £1m and £2m a year. It’s a joke.

The PL need to distribute more money down the food-chain. BUT, this would be a complete waste of time, if EFL clubs simply blow it on higher fees/wages than they would’ve paid without it, racking up the same old losses.

The BBC published this on 12th December, how right this was.

View attachment 124044

Nailed..and the sooner the better

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here