Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harry Wilson showing why my dad was always moaning at him :lolol:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
bloody missed this

I was at the game as a 12 year old,remember the scaffolding being up in the Chicken Run,with all the Palace fans underneath it

1-1,they scored an own goal?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Those were the days. Or were they? I didn't see a single black face at the Golstone, either on the pitch, on the bench or in the crowd in that transmission. You had Venables interviewed later sneering at players who can't 'take it' (meaning abuse and intimidation from other players). In a later game we saw disgusting tackling (from Southampton on Fulham players) that should have resulted in red cards, yet Bobby Moore was penalised for a foul that never was and Southampton took the kick quickly and scored, then George Best was sent off for Fulam for dissent. You could see from Alec Stock's interview later that there was an elephant in the room - the referee was a cheat. Meanwhile the lazy Brian Moore just whipped up a fake angle about Best's sending off. Oh, we did eventually see a black player, subbed on for Fulham, and you can hear someone monkey chanting a few seconds later. No comment about that, of course. Generally the standard of football was poor, with the final game (Leeds versus ManUre) redolent with unfit players standing and watching, lunging tackles, crappy passing....and we actually thought England was the greatest footballing nation in the world, and were outraged when we couldn't qualify for the world cups?

Very disappointed by that. I used to love Big Match replayed, but it seems very dated and shitty now. As Danny Baker often said, never shine daylight on magic. It was magical then, but now....:shrug:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Those were the days. Or were they? I didn't see a single black face at the Golstone, either on the pitch, on the bench or in the crowd in that transmission. You had Venables interviewed later sneering at players who can't 'take it' (meaning abuse and intimidation from other players). In a later game we saw disgusting tackling (from Southampton on Fulham players) that should have resulted in red cards, yet Bobby Moore was penalised for a foul that never was and Southampton took the kick quickly and scored, then George Best was sent off for Fulam for dissent. You could see from Alec Stock's interview later that there was an elephant in the room - the referee was a cheat. Meanwhile the lazy Brian Moore just whipped up a fake angle about Best's sending off. Oh, we did eventually see a black player, subbed on for Fulham, and you can hear someone monkey chanting a few seconds later. No comment about that, of course. Generally the standard of football was poor, with the final game (Leeds versus ManUre) redolent with unfit players standing and watching, lunging tackles, crappy passing....and we actually thought England was the greatest footballing nation in the world, and were outraged when we couldn't qualify for the world cups?

Very disappointed by that. I used to love Big Match replayed, but it seems very dated and shitty now. As Danny Baker often said, never shine daylight on magic. It was magical then, but now....:shrug:

Blimey, you are a tough crowd today Harry. I really enjoyed the whole programme ! Especially the fact that they led with a Division 3 game. The best players weren’t all playing for the top teams. Look at the teams put out by Southampton and Fulham. Quite a contrast to modern football.

Mullery and Venables were pretty pally on the sofa, Venables playfully punching Meullery's thigh at one point.

That rather gives the lie to the theory that the underlying reason for the Abion/Palace rivalry started because the two fell out when Billy Nick chose Mullery as Captain of Spurs over Venables.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Blimey, you are a tough crowd today Harry. I really enjoyed the whole programme ! Especially the fact that they led with a Division 3 game. The best players weren’t all playing for the top teams. Look at the teams put out by Southampton and Fulham. Quite a contrast to modern football.

Sorry. Yes, a bit excessively grumpy, perhaps. I recall only a few years earlier we were the first game on MOTD (versus Villa), another game I was at. Me? intolerant of small irritation? Who knew? Give me his name and I'll put him on ignore :wink:

Last edited:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
27000 in the Goldstone..... I enjoyed the game and I liked the low key presentation of the programme. No flashing images or fancy camera work. Brian Moore showed what a good commentator and interviewer he was.... and NO VAR !

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Sorry. Yes, a bit excessively grumpy, perhaps. I recall only a few years earlier we were the first game on MOTD (versus Villa), another game I was at. Me? intolerant of small irritation? Who knew? Give me his name and I'll put him on ignore :wink:

try this game H

an Everton team with 6 players under the age of 22 putting Best,Charlton & Law to the sword

opening game of the season,don't know who was the current Everton manager was then,but very brave

65,000 packed into Goodison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be2wP2JCdQg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
try this game H

an Everton team with 6 players under the age of 22 putting Best,Charlton & Law to the sword

opening game of the season,don't know who was the current Everton manager was then,but very brave

65,000 packed into Goodison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be2wP2JCdQg

That's great!

'George Best, an Irish international'. Like the union flags waved at the 66 world cup, we English had little sense of Englishness back then, and yet no awareness of anything in the union that is outside England.

That crowd, though. :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here