Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Refereeing Question

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I was watching the highlights of Albion's 2-1 home win over MASSIVE back in 2017.

Hutchinson is sent off in the last minute for a potentially career ending challenge on March.

Watching and freeze framing the video it appears Hutchinson may not have actually had contact. March avoiding the challenge and playing the ball propels him back.

Obviously it was an offence for studs up reckless play and Hutchinson, already on a yellow, is correctly sent off.

But I did wonder. Did the referee give a second yellow because he is happy that it was the only worthy of that, or, if it was a red card offence, should he have shown a straight red instead ?

And is a challenge such as that, regardless of contact being made, a red card offence ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've only reffed a few times (its surprisingly good money even on really low levels but running... is not my thing) but I've found that regardless if you want to strictly to adhere to the rule book or not, you make different decisions based on the outcome of the situation.

If someones makes a poor challenge but the target gets away or avoid the impact of the tackle, I'm more likely to let it go. The one time I gave a red I gave it because I could hear the studs connect with the shin pads and the guy screaming in pain.

To lesser extent I think its the same on higher levels... if a tackle is dangerous but the player just avoid it, its "difficult" to give a straight red... because frankly in that case there should be 3-4 red cards every game.

I'd say: the rule book is important but fingerspitzengefühl rules. Not only the offense but also the consequence are what most make their decisions from.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I've only reffed a few times (its surprisingly good money even on really low levels but running... is not my thing) but I've found that regardless if you want to strictly to adhere to the rule book or not, you make different decisions based on the outcome of the situation.

If someones makes a poor challenge but the target gets away or avoid the impact of the tackle, I'm more likely to let it go. The one time I gave a red I gave it because I could hear the studs connect with the shin pads and the guy screaming in pain.

To lesser extent I think its the same on higher levels... if a tackle is dangerous but the player just avoid it, its "difficult" to give a straight red... because frankly in that case there should be 3-4 red cards every game.

I'd say: the rule book is important but fingerspitzengefühl rules. Not only the offense but also the consequence are what most make their decisions from.

You are Mike Dean and I claim my £5.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

...Gaston V Stephens.

I remember Hutchinson was a ticking time bomb in that game. The ref was probably delighted to have got rid of him without anyone getting hurt. He lost his head when we saved the penalty I think...or am I getting my games confused?

Anyway, I think if the final outcome is still a red card, if the 2nd offence is deemed a yellow, you still have to show a yellow, and if the 2nd offence is deemed straight red, then you show a red. I’m sure there’s back office stuff, suspensions and fines that require the precise decision. But I haven’t reffed, just going by observation.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
...Gaston V Stephens.

I remember Hutchinson was a ticking time bomb in that game. The ref was probably delighted to have got rid of him without anyone getting hurt. He lost his head when we saved the penalty I think...or am I getting my games confused?

Anyway, I think if the final outcome is still a red card, if the 2nd offence is deemed a yellow, you still have to show a yellow, and if the 2nd offence is deemed straight red, then you show a red. I’m sure there’s back office stuff, suspensions and fines that require the precise decision. But I haven’t reffed, just going by observation.

A straight red card for a dangerous tackle will normally result in a 3 match minimum ban, whereas 2 yellows generally, though not always, will mean a one match suspension.

SAC

May 21, 2014
We want the letter of the law if it is to our advntage but common sense if it isn't.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
...Gaston V Stephens.

Hutchinson was sent off very near the end of the game - after we’d gone 2:1 ahead, and not long after Fletcher had been given a straight red. Massive had basically lost the plot - was one of the best nights at the Amex [emoji16]

Should have been a straight red for the intent IMO - he was trying to hurt March, no question. It’s about 15s from the end in these highlights (it was similar to Knocky’s challenge v Bournemouth- basically a reckless challenge with a long run up !)

https://youtu.be/Zm1ckvsrpUQ

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Hutchinson was sent off very near the end of the game - after we’d gone 2:1 ahead, and not long after Fletcher had been given a straight red. Massive had basically lost the plot - was one of the best nights at the Amex [emoji16]

Should have been a straight red for the intent IMO - he was trying to hurt March, no question. It’s about 15s from the end in these highlights (it was similar to Knocky’s challenge v Bournemouth- basically a reckless challenge with a long run up !)

thanks mate ...i needs that..:kiss:....massive :lolol:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Yeah, that's my point. The freeze frame indicates that he may not have made contact so is that what saves him from the direct red ? It appears he may have got the second yellow because he was lucky to have missed March.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here