Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    How many will be wearing face masks when grounds re-open and will you have to remove them for a stewards inspection so the cameras can see who you are.
    Jazz Festival n. The purchase of two or more Noddy books at one time.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

4 Not allowed!
      Not sure I can see a way that full Premier League crowds could be watching games within the currently-planned window for the 2020/21 season.

As others have said, the issue is not to much crowds in the stadium bowl itself, but transport to and from the ground as well as concourses, including the toilets. In a bizarre twist, our much-heralded sustainable transport setup doesn't help us much in Covid-world.

I don't really understand "the virus will burn itself out" comments, unless I'm missing something. Falling infection, hospitalisation and death rates are a direct result of the actions we have taken, which broadly come down to limiting human-to-human contact, particularly indoors. As interaction increases, and it will as we gradually release the lockdown handbrake, then all of those things can creep up once again.

It will take careful management to keep the virus at levels that health systems can deal with, but come the winter we will have the traditional flu season, and the demands it represents, coinciding with Covid-19 still in the mix.

Obviously all this changes if the Oxford or A.N.Other vaccine reaches the point of mass production and deployment before then, but that feels optimistic.

1 Not allowed!
      August 2021 is my guess
      In this great future you can't forget your past

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Not sure I can see a way that full Premier League crowds could be watching games within the currently-planned window for the 2020/21 season.

As others have said, the issue is not to much crowds in the stadium bowl itself, but transport to and from the ground as well as concourses, including the toilets. In a bizarre twist, our much-heralded sustainable transport setup doesn't help us much in Covid-world.

I don't really understand "the virus will burn itself out" comments, unless I'm missing something. Falling infection, hospitalisation and death rates are a direct result of the actions we have taken, which broadly come down to limiting human-to-human contact, particularly indoors. As interaction increases, and it will as we gradually release the lockdown handbrake, then all of those things can creep up once again.

It will take careful management to keep the virus at levels that health systems can deal with, but come the winter we will have the traditional flu season, and the demands it represents, coinciding with Covid-19 still in the mix.

Obviously all this changes if the Oxford or A.N.Other vaccine reaches the point of mass production and deployment before then, but that feels optimistic.
      All this.

Dr Chris Smith (the Naked Scientist) explained this week that probably just 5% of the UK’s population have had covid19, at most 10%. So 90%+ plus are potential new cases. Social distancing and quasi-lockdown has kept cases and mortality down.

The perfect breeding grounds of a packed cinema, theatre, or football concourses/loos/park’n’ride will be the last places to open at full capacity.

0 Not allowed!
      The narrative is quickly moving toward self-determination/risk assessment. The Government shit themselves, then the people, in order not to overwhelm the NHS. Data now shows that the vast majority of morbidity is in the over 65 (over 75) category (with underlying HC). More of this type of data will become commonplace to reassure (most u75s) regarding the risk of returning to a near normal state of behaviour. Football crowds will return but the age profile will be younger.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      I'll be brutally honest with you, I dont think we'll see a packed Amex until at least next year.
      Agree. The opening game of 2021-2022 season and there are a huge amount of ifs involved; Tracing app works, antibody tests rolled out, vaccine successfully developed, treatments work etc. Antibody tests have already been developed by Roche but need to be distributed to 7bn people. Very encouraging news on treatments today with potential T-cell treatment. But the technology will need to narrow the field of infected from millions to hundreds of thousands and then down to the crowd attending being proven to represent no risk whatsoever. And this is a long way off.

3 Not allowed!
      Shirley at some point we should be treated as sensible and intelligent human beings and invited to sign some sort of disclaimer - i.e. "I know that by taking over-packed public transport to a crowded sports stadium I could catch a life threatening virus, but who gives a sh1t". Type of thing. I'd sign on the dot as the odds on dying are minimum.

6 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Winker View Post
      Shirley at some point we should be treated as sensible and intelligent human beings and invited to sign some sort of disclaimer - i.e. "I know that by taking over-packed public transport to a crowded sports stadium I could catch a life threatening virus, but who gives a sh1t". Type of thing. I'd sign on the dot as the odds on dying are minimum.
      But you're willing to spread it to people in your community?
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      When there is a Vaccine, or an effective treatment, probably not until the season after next. By which time we will have either one, both or none of those and in that case we will just have to accept that crowds carry the risk of the disease and throw caution to the wind. But to answer your question I do not see capacity crowds until 2022/23

2 Not allowed!
      You know that bloke who sits two rows behind you and rants at Stephens every time he passes the ball sideways?

Well he's got it.
      "And the beep says goal!" - Jonathan Pearce MotD 05/05/18