Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hertha Berlin v Union Berlin ++++ Official Match Thread ++++

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
West meets East for the first time in Bundesliga at the Olympic Stadium tonight. Union sit one place and a point behind Hertha in Bundesliga. Both have previously met in Bundesliga 2, in two seasons between 2010 and 2013. Union are ahead in the bragging rights with two wins and two draws in the five meetings since 2010. After a feisty affair both on and especially off the pitch last November, tonight will sadly be a tepid atmosphere. It's been suggested, mainly in the eastern half of the city, Hertha won't be too disturbed by playing with no fans as they are used to playing in a half empty stadium at home. Indeed, the place only ever sold out when Bayern or Dortmund were in town and the place was full of day trippers in either yellow or red shirts.

Hertha recorded a 3-0 victory in coach Bruno Labbadia’s first game in charge last week away at Hoffenheim. Labbadia is their fifth coach in a year. Others have included Jurgen Klinsmann who made himself a laughing stock in Germany, boasting when he joined, Hertha were a 'big city club' and they could go on to be successful in the champions league blah blah blah. He lasted 76 days in the job, leaving under a cloud with counter accusations & insults between him and the Hertha general manager, keeping the football world here entertained for a few weeks. The spat still occasionally rears its head. Usually from Kilinsmann to anyone who will listen to him.

Union are enjoying a decent start to life in Bundesliga and baring a choke of monumental proportions, should be good for another year. Their strength is in the intimidating atmosphere of the Alten Forsterei where the likes of Dortmund and Mönchengladbach have both come unstuck this season. The away record includes wins at Eintract, Bremen, and Mainz plus draws at Paderborn and Augsburg. Last week they returned to action at home with a 0-2 loss to Bayern Munich. Not a disaster considering the gulf in class. Indeed, Union were unlucky not to nick a point in the first fixture in Munich.

Tonight? I'm going for the city to stay red and Union to remain 'stadtmeister.' (I hope) I'll put my neck on the block. 2-1 Union.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I would love to have gone to this game as part of an extended trip to Berlin in normal circumstances - in the Union end, obviously.

Sadly, the magic has been sucked out of what should have been a wonderful occasion.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
come on Die Eisernen!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ha ho he hertha bsc!

Pinkie Brown

Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Union line up. Watch for Number 10 Andersson who has been linked with the Albion in recent months. Sometimes gives the impression of going missing, but he reappears at the vital times and is normally a clinical finisher.

Union Berlin

1Gikiewicz
5Friedrich
19Hübner
29Parensen
28Trimmel
30Andrich
21Prömel
14Reichel
32Ingvartsen
15Bülter
10Andersson

Pinkie Brown

Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Hertha Berlin

22Jarstein
2Pekarík
20Boyata
25Torunarigha
21Plattenhardt
6Darida
15Grujic
3Skjelbred
26Santos Carneiro Da Cunha
28Lukebakio
19Ibisevic

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, Pascal Gross is best friends with Flo Hubner who’s in the centre of the Union defence.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Union now 3-0 down. Quality goal with a hint of pisstaking for the 3rd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As an aside none of the CV19 stuff makes much sense to me. Players wrestling at corners with others not in their team but arm bumping and social distancing at celebrations. 4th official, subs and cameraman in masks, managers not. Players coming out of the tunnel without masks but ref emerging out with one that he then discards. Disinfected footballs that they forget to pick up at throws. And less atmosphere than a Reading away end. Fugging mad.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As an aside none of the CV19 stuff makes much sense to me. Players wrestling at corners with others not in their team but arm bumping and social distancing at celebrations. 4th official, subs and cameraman in masks, managers not. Players coming out of the tunnel without masks but ref emerging out with one that he then discards. Disinfected footballs that they forget to pick up at throws. And less atmosphere than a Reading away end. Fugging mad.

It's a topsy-turvy world out there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here