Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] What's the Matter With Tony Slattery

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Remarkable programme on BBC2 last night. A very moving story of abuse, fame,mental illness, addiction and love. Watch it.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Read a superb article along the same lines last year.

He couldn’t have been a bigger personality in the early 90’s and mawkish though it is reading about what’s happened since then and the courage with which he’s tackled his problems is compelling.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Back in the day, I admired his wit and obvious intellect, but thought he was a bit of a smug git.

This programme is remarkable. His openness and willingness to show vulnerability is breathtaking. His partner's obvious deep love for him is utterly compelling - Slattery would probably not be alive today without it.

The programme-makers deserve plaudits too - a compelling documentary without ever taking the easy option of mawkishness or bear-baiting.

Bravo, Tony - a very brave thing to have done.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Richard Herring intervieed him for his podcast some time last year. Was amazed when I googled him after listening, to see what he looked like these days.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Back in the day, I admired his wit and obvious intellect, but thought he was a bit of a smug git.

His partner's obvious deep love for him is utterly compelling - Slattery would probably not be alive today without it.

I found their relationship very moving.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have just watched this, having seen the OP which piqued my interest. Thank you [MENTION=481]Voroshilov[/MENTION]

Incredibly moving, and I am so pleased that Tony Slattery has finally been able to confront his demons. I wonder if he needed the TV cameras to be in his session with the Consultant Psychologist in Belfast to give him the push that he knew he needed to do so.

He is such a lovely bloke, and it was so sad to see how he considered himself self-absorbed in his problems, as if he was letting everyone else down.

I hope that this becomes the catalyst for a happier and more fulfilling existence.

Last edited:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
thought it was excellent, if uncomfortable. demons are so powerful. so lucky to have the love of mark. so pleased to see chinks of light and hope. so angry that yet again, events from childhood get buried into a sealed box that has air vents.. and these vents do not allow the event to be buried... it continues to seep the poison into everyday life. got to open up the pandora's box to face it...aged 60 is a long time.. but i truly hope that there is a follow-up prog in a year or so that shows a progession to success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here