Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton Town and City (for those that were there and are here)

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
In response to another thread... Acrostic

Born (1960) and bred Brightonian. Formative years until 19 in this town/city (then 20+ years elsewhere until return to have kids).
Ridiculously good place to grow up. Downs to the North, Beach - yes it's got ****ing pebbles - to the South.
Incredible pubs and clubs: Shades, Sussex, Druids, DC, Sherry's, Suite, Bonsoir, Papillion
Growing up in a town that was "Helping Police with its enquiries" was ****ing ace if you were post pubescent and Brighton did not disappoint
Hove was a place where you went to wine bars and (tried to) pick up girls over 25
Two o'clock was when you were thrown out onto West Street when everything shut
Only got a drink after closing time if you had a bowl of chips/scampi in your lap
No it isn't what it was, it's probably better now, but Brighton is a BRILLIANT place

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hove Place, the Mongolian Restaurant, Cinderella’s at Stroods Motel and King’s Club the member’s club too. I remember how old most of the clientele seemed to be in Kings. Full if what we’d now call MILFs, the permanently grumpy owner and his wife with the long blonde hair and the stunning figure who was 100% mutton dressed as lamb. Or so it appeared to me at the time.

The Curtain Club for after hours drinking.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When the kids were little, Saturday mornings always meant the Clock Tower Golden Triangle of Gamleys, Beatties and Uncle Sams. Sunday afternoons could only mean Pirates Deep

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Young manhood in Brighton was fantastic. My memories..... simple things like walking by the arches on wild windy days thrilled at the power of the sea. The Downs ,Devils Dyke, and the inn up there, Stanmer Park ,Wild Park....
Night time all the pubs and eating places. Was that big pub at the bottom of East St. called the Pickwick? Enormous pizzas at Al Forno’s .
I had some great mates too.... and must mention The Goldstone ! Yay!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sister Rays'.

I'll hazard a guess I would recoil in abject horror if 50 year old me travelled 30 years back in time. :lol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Brighton born and bred in 1970.
Had forgotten about the Mongolian BBQ - thanks [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION]
Nights trying to pull at the Pink Coconut. Nights and early mornings spent at The Gloucester after evening shifts at the Black Lion.
Kicking around the old grey but fun Churchill Square with my brother while Mum was shopping in Bejams
The secret all night bar in Alice Street where you had to knock on the door of what looked like a house and go down to the basement - can't remember the name.
Late night Grubbs burgers
The 2p slot machines on the PALACE Pier
Going for dog walks with my Dad in Stanmer woods before it had a chunk cut off by the bypass.
Stopping at the garage up the old A23 on the left in the days before there was a roundabout or bypass
Visiting the farms in Stanmer village when there were still animals to feed ice creams to
Always enjoyed the folded pizzas in the Italian in Queens St just up from the Clock Tower - once again, can't remember the name

God I feel old now !

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Worst acrostics EVER! :D

Bhnktrltgsva? Is that Brighton in Swahili?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Worst acrostics EVER! :D

Bhnktrltgsva? Is that Brighton in Swahili?

I didn't know what "Acrostic" meant, so looked it up in my dictionary. I was then able to make the decision to award you a "Thumbs up"!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I didn't know what "Acrostic" meant, so looked it up in my dictionary. I was then able to make the decision to award you a "Thumbs up"!

I'm waiting for a certain DULLARD to turn up. He is an expert at inadvertent acrostics that randomly say rude things about people.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I misread it the first time and thought " What has acoustics got to do with this?"
Then I saw your reply !

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Brighton born and bred 1956. I'll never move away. This is my home.
Remember trolley busses.
I went to Elm Grove Infants' School when the trains were running underneath to Kemp Town Goods Yard.
Going to Saturday morning pictures at the Astoria.
Having to get two buses to school. 48 or 45 from Woodingdean to Old Steine, 46 or 46B to Varndean.
The outdoor swimming pool at Rottingdean. Spent every day, every summer there in my early teenage years.
On the piss aged 17 at the Pickwick, Sherry's and most places between East Street and West Street and puking up as soon as I got home.
Never getting caught shop-lifting in my mid-teens at Millions of Shirts in Duke Street, Woolworths in London Road, Smiths in East Street and most tobacconists in St.James' Street!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'm waiting for a certain DULLARD to turn up. He is an expert at inadvertent acrostics that randomly say rude things about people.

I can't THINK who you mean!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Born in Buckingham Road maternity hospital, 1958. Brought up in Rottingdean then Portslade, Brighton was where we went out.

Black Rock. Palace (yes, Palace) Pier. West Pier. Banjo Groyne. Volks Railway.

Virgin records at the Clock Tower. The Cottage for second hand LPs. The Dome, Basement, Resources centre, Alhambra, Buccaneer, Jenkinson's, Top Rank.
The Hungry Years.

King and Queen, Shades, Basketmakers, The Eagle

Missing the last train and walking home :lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Born in Buckingham Road maternity hospital, 1958. Brought up in Rottingdean then Portslade, Brighton was where we went out.

Virgin records at the Clock Tower. The Cottage for second hand LPs. The Dome, Basement, Resources centre, Alhambra, Buccaneer, Jenkinson's, Top Rank.
The Hungry Years.

A few other places I should have added :thumbsup:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

The Hungry Years.

I must have bumped into you quite a few times ....

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Brighton born and bred 1956. I'll never move away. This is my home.
Remember trolley busses.
I went to Elm Grove Infants' School when the trains were running underneath to Kemp Town Goods Yard.
Going to Saturday morning pictures at the Astoria.
Having to get two buses to school. 48 or 45 from Woodingdean to Old Steine, 46 or 46B to Varndean.
The outdoor swimming pool at Rottingdean. Spent every day, every summer there in my early teenage years.
On the piss aged 17 at the Pickwick, Sherry's and most places between East Street and West Street and puking up as soon as I got home.
Never getting caught shop-lifting in my mid-teens at Millions of Shirts in Duke Street, Woolworths in London Road, Smiths in East Street and most tobacconists in St.James' Street!

Ah yes, the trolley buses. The 43 mysteriously turned into the 44 and then back again. Sherry's, of course ...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To me the sweetest thing in our Dickensian-at-the-time town was that you could go to what we used call a discotheque just so long as you consented - on account of our local ByeLaws - to the lights going up at 11pm, the music stopped, and a finger buffet served. Then at 11.30pm the lights could go down again and the music could restart.

Jeez! Even writing that makes one feel quite Victorian equivalent, tho it was only the Seventies. A bit like being openly mocked by yer kids for calling the Sea Life Centre the DOLPHINARIUM :down:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Another Buckingham Road Babe but 1942. My formative years living in Hangelton revolved around youth clubs, the Grenadier and on Saturday nights the Regent. Plus O'Hagans hot dogs, the Lagoon and of course The Goldstone.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Hove Place, the Mongolian Restaurant, Cinderella’s at Stroods Motel and King’s Club the member’s club too. I remember how old most of the clientele seemed to be in Kings. Full if what we’d now call MILFs, the permanently grumpy owner and his wife with the long blonde hair and the stunning figure who was 100% mutton dressed as lamb. Or so it appeared to me at the time.

The Curtain Club for after hours drinking.

Remember Kings club. Run by the Huttons and remember doorman called Brian. Spent a lot of time there and not once did I see any trouble. Do member only night clubs still exist ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here