Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gordon Smith's apology 1983 FA Cup Final

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
What a gentleman!

(Still think, as I did at the time, that Bailey got lucky and made a superb save).
I always felt that Robinson should have taken the shot himself any rebound would have likely gone to Smith. Plus Smith scored the goal he has nothing to appologise to me for.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Never seen that before, didn't realise he took it so bad.
Things were moving fast and quick decisions had to be made.
I wasn't expecting Robinson to pass either, Smith should hold his head up and say he tried.
He wasn't expecting the ball and got cuaght off guard.
Shame for us , but we have all been caught off guard, at least once.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shame that he feels so bad about it still and feels the need to apologise. The shot was on target and fortune favoured Bailey with the rebound. Shit happens.

What does still stick in my mind and piss me off to this day is that Whiteside tackle on Ramsey, sending off all day long. We lost our RB and United should have been down to 10. The ref and lino should be the ones apologising :tantrum:

Thanks for posting though, some great memories there.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Nothing to apologise for Gordon. You did score and you never hid from taking responsibility which is all anyone can ask.

Whiteside is the only one who should be apologising from that game. Disgusting tackle on Ramsey.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
So sorry he feels he has to apologise, absolutely no need, played his heart out with the others, gave me some brilliant memories, thank you.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nothing to apologise for. Feel sorry for him that it is probably the thing he is most remembered for.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
No apology required, and exquisite header to give us the lead, and poor old Micheal got it wrong, I felt he actually bottled it and passed the buck by giving it to Smith.
Great player and nothing but fond memories.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Jesus, 37 years on and I still hold my head in my hands when I see that miss. So how must Gordon feel? Was lucky enough to share a few beers and a singsong round the piano with him and some of the Cup Final team a few years back at the Grand and he even apologised that night. Told him there was no need and every Albion fan feels the same.
A pissed Graham Pearce even tried to pull my girlfriend.

Very hard to watch even now and can't agree that Robbo done the wrong thing. C'est la vie but still hurts like mad.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Shame that he feels so bad about it still and feels the need to apologise. The shot was on target and fortune favoured Bailey with the rebound. Shit happens.

What does still stick in my mind and piss me off to this day is that Whiteside tackle on Ramsey, sending off all day long. We lost our RB and United should have been down to 10. The ref and lino should be the ones apologising :tantrum:

This, Whiteside won the cup for the Mancs.
Ramsey was excellent in the first half, had he been able to stay on the pitch, we would have won the cup.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Very hard to watch even now and can't agree that Robbo done the wrong thing

Absolutely right. It’s kind of become accepted wisdom, that Robinson should have taken it on himself - but just watch it back - that is plainly nonsense. Robbo cuts back onto his right - he has a defender blocking his route to half of the goal, and Bailey set for a shot. Smith is to his right, in acres of space, with a free shot on goal - it would have been criminal for Robbo to NOT pass it - and had he shot and wasted the chance, we’d all still be talking now, about ‘if only he’d squared it to Smith’.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It's always been a joke moment, but I've never known anyone who got uppity with him. Mind you, we didn't have keyboard warriors then.

Fact is, he scored the first goal anyway. So we would never have been in that position.

Obviously it's a career regret. It would be. But if anyone used to give him grief I hope they regret it now.

I've always wondered what might have been, but not with any criticism of him. Shit happens. The Whiteside challenge on Ramsay was the turning point.

I wish we'd had VAR then.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Agreed that he doesn't need to apologise.

I had forgotten just how bad the Whiteside foul on Ramsey was. Definitely a red but in those days, nobody got sent off in a cup final.
(Just checked and the first was in 1985, again a Manure player)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

And 3 deliberate hand balls. That's 4 red cards today. The filth.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I hereby vow never to sing a song inferring a lack of sobriety at the time of the incident and referring to him as a stupid scots B******* .

Ahh no, what the hell, he'd probably join in. Decent fella

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If that Scotch git could just let us know where the cup final money went I might forgive him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here