Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Here’s an odd one for you - mystery delivery

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This morning a tiny package dropped through the letter box addressed to my wife. It had a customs form on the front, clearly the package was from China. Wife opened it, and inside is a rather tacky, brand new men’s, gold wristwatch wrapped in a piece of bubble wrap. No note, no printed packaging, just the Chinese customs label. My wife has not ordered it, there is no record of her having done so on her eBay account, or amazon, and we’ve certainly not paid anyone in China , or elsewhere for a nasty gold watch. Anyone got any thoughts why this package would have been sent to her? It was perfectly accurately addressed to her, and there doesn’t appear to be a return address.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
What time did it arrive?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Blimey. Well, the scientific explanation would be that it is from a distributor that your wife has previously ordered from and somehow the label has been printed with her details rather than the intended recipitant.

On the document that you have is there an indicator of some sort of reference number ?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This morning a tiny package dropped through the letter box addressed to my wife. It had a customs form on the front, clearly the package was from China. Wife opened it, and inside is a rather tacky, brand new men’s, gold wristwatch wrapped in a piece of bubble wrap. No note, no printed packaging, just the Chinese customs label. My wife has not ordered it, there is no record of her having done so on her eBay account, or amazon, and we’ve certainly not paid anyone in China , or elsewhere for a nasty gold watch. Anyone got any thoughts why this package would have been sent to her? It was perfectly accurately addressed to her, and there doesn’t appear to be a return address.

This is potentially a recorded delivery scam. Has your wife ordered anything else online? If so, this low cost item may have been sent for the scammer to use as evidence of proof of delivery when the expected item fails to arrive.

Don't be surprised if they offer a 50% refund for the missing item.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have also received a similar parcel, containing 10 watches. I now have a lot of time on my hands.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Check to see if there's any markings to find out the manufacturer.

But be quick, the clock is ticking.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
There was a loosely similar scam to this doing the rounds a year or so back involving mobile phones.

The scammer has obtained your details and ordered you a new contract mobile phone - the scammer then contacts you to say if was an error and they will collect the phone for return. They pick the phone up and you think that's the end of the matter but the phone company still has you registered as the phone and contract owner and insists you pay or return the phone [which you no longer have]. Scammer has a phone for which you have become liable.

For a watch, it might be a bit different - I'd hang on to it and see what transpires - but I'd be vary wary - check your credit card and bank statements online ASAP to see if anything unexpected has appeared.

Could be a genuine error - if that's the case, sooner or later someone will be asking for it back ....

Remember for email and online scams you can now notify support@phishing.gov.uk

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Have you contacted Crimewatch?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Blimey. Well, the scientific explanation would be that it is from a distributor that your wife has previously ordered from and somehow the label has been printed with her details rather than the intended recipitant.

On the document that you have is there an indicator of some sort of reference number ?

Nothing apart from the customs label.

There was a loosely similar scam to this doing the rounds a year or so back involving mobile phones.

The scammer has obtained your details and ordered you a new contract mobile phone - the scammer then contacts you to say if was an error and they will collect the phone for return. They pick the phone up and you think that's the end of the matter but the phone company still has you registered as the phone and contract owner and insists you pay or return the phone [which you no longer have]. Scammer has a phone for which you have become liable.

For a watch, it might be a bit different - I'd hang on to it and see what transpires - but I'd be vary wary - check your credit card and bank statements online ASAP to see if anything unexpected has appeared.

Could be a genuine error - if that's the case, sooner or later someone will be asking for it back ....

Remember for email and online scams you can now notify support@phishing.gov.uk

Will check all statements.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I had a similar delivery about 3 months ago except it contained 3 pairs of Burberry socks,no explanation or delivery note enclosed,originated from China.Seemed reasonable quality but crappy pattern. I gave them away.WTF is that all about?:shrug:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Has it been Covid19 tested?

Genuinely though, sounds like it might be the old 'brushing' plot that such firms have been doing for a while.

Nowt to worry about, it's for their benefit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here