Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Leather Car Seat Repair

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Looking at buying a used car and the drivers seat has quite a large tear in it, also the door card at the rear has got a couple of nicks in them that I'd like sorting.

Has anyone got any recommendations of places in Sussex that can do the work? Don't mind a bit of a drive to get someone decent to do the work but want to get back to the car dealer tomorrow with an offer taking into consideration the work required.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Looking at buying a used car and the drivers seat has quite a large tear in it, also the door card at the rear has got a couple of nicks in them that I'd like sorting.

Has anyone got any recommendations of places in Sussex that can do the work? Don't mind a bit of a drive to get someone decent to do the work but want to get back to the car dealer tomorrow with an offer taking into consideration the work required.

What on Earth were they doing to tear leather? or is it the seem come unstitched?

Madafwo

Nov 11, 2013
What on Earth were they doing to tear leather? or is it the seem come unstitched?

I think something got caught in one of the holes, maybe a key.

IMG_20200521_200245.jpg

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Ahh.. that's perforated leather. The perforations make it weak to start with, and a right twunt to repair.

Is the car expensive? If so, it may be worth the time and effort to either buy a second hand seat in perfect condition, or buy another one with a tear in it and give it to an upholsterer to rob a swatch of leather from for the repair.

Madafwo

Nov 11, 2013
Ahh.. that's perforated leather. The perforations make it weak to start with, and a right twunt to repair.

Is the car expensive? If so, it may be worth the time and effort to either buy a second hand seat in perfect condition, or buy another one with a tear in it and give it to an upholsterer to rob a swatch of leather from for the repair.

It's only a Mondeo so not massively expensive but I'm using it as a negotiating point, whatever they tell me it's going to cost to fix is what I'm going to tell the dealer.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
It's only a Mondeo so not massively expensive but I'm using it as a negotiating point, whatever they tell me it's going to cost to fix is what I'm going to tell the dealer.

You may find then that if it's not an expensive car - and it's used, they'll just shrug their shoulders. It's like buying a pair of second hand shoes and trying to knock the seller on price because the heels are worn. :down:

I used to deal in cars many years ago - and your best tactic is to find multiple issues, not concentrate on one. You need a barrage of things to disarm the seller.

So (as an example) - pick out kerbed alloys, scratches to the paint, ripped leather, brakes looking low, incomplete service history, switches and dials not working, carpets worn, tyre brands all odd (or low depth), spare tyre low or flat - anything like that. Make a list, hit him with a plethora of moans, say that you think you can find better elsewhere if you look, but you'd be happier buying this one at a discount as you can't be arsed driving all over Sussex looking at others.

Hit him, then give him a chance to come back.

It's all a big game really, but if you play it well you'll get a fair deal.

Madafwo

Nov 11, 2013
You may find then that if it's not an expensive car - and it's used, they'll just shrug their shoulders. It's like buying a pair of second hand shoes and trying to knock the seller on price because the heels are worn. :down:

I used to deal in cars many years ago - and your best tactic is to find multiple issues, not concentrate on one. You need a barrage of things to disarm the seller.

So (as an example) - pick out kerbed alloys, scratches to the paint, ripped leather, brakes looking low, incomplete service history, switches and dials not working, carpets worn, tyre brands all odd (or low depth), spare tyre low or flat - anything like that. Make a list, hit him with a plethora of moans, say that you think you can find better elsewhere if you look, but you'd be happier buying this one at a discount as you can't be arsed driving all over Sussex looking at others.

Hit him, then give him a chance to come back.

It's all a big game really, but if you play it well you'll get a fair deal.

Oh there's a list. The rest I can either sort myself or I know where to take it to get a good job done, I've just never had to have a seat repaired before.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Oh there's a list. The rest I can either sort myself or I know where to take it to get a good job done, I've just never had to have a seat repaired before.

I think you'll struggle to get perforate leather repaired mate - and the seller will know that. If it was easy they'd have had it done.

I'd just either accept it, or try and find a used seat on eBay with no rips...

Try looking for passenger seat squabs (that's what they're called) if they're the same - or buy a passenger seat and get an upholsterer to nick what he can from it. Reason? - everyone searches for driver seats when they have a knackered drivers seat...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't you just rip the passenger seat in the same place?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here