Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Why do the media hate Brighton town so much?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Interesting this morning that every site you click on has a photo of Brighton in with people "enjoying the sun" and "defying lockdown".

Here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Here

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coro...s-during-heatwave/ar-BB14o9n1?ocid=spartandhp

(pubs have been doing takeaway from the start via delivery services, also seafront office have been in contact with seafront businesses to advise they can serve takeaway)

And as the main MSN banner photo.

Then, in the football, we are the main enemy of Project Restart despite Deeney not training and Watford having three confirmed virus cases.

Does anyone else think it's weird that the spotlight is on a town that has had only 409 cases, only 5 new ones in the last week and that has repeatedly asked people NOT to travel or gather here?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think the exact opposite - it shows we're on the map ( both city wise and club wise ). In normal times, when The Sun headline is "Phew, What a Scorcher !" you can bet your bottom dollar the picture will be of either Brighton and HOVE ( tsk for leaving that out of your post ! ) beach or Bournemouth.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You should experience the FB battles in Arundel. Everyone's favourite place for a cream tea and a mindless meander, the traders are opening and selling teas and ice creams and us locals are pee's off because they've gobbled up all of our safe exercise space ... the natives are getting restless, they'll be a belligerent scowl in a moment!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's quite simple: the right-wing press have organised a conflict between the provinces (where their readership is largely based) and the metropoles, home of 'the elite' of which Brighton is one of the most exemplary exponents (and where their readership is far lower).
Within this crude divide, NSC is quite an interesting test case as there are representatives of both amongst B&HA fans, although I suspect there are more of the latter than the former (it might be that the latter are more vociferous -- "the chattering classes" against "the silent majority"). This also explains how so many of the political arguments/debates/discussions are structured on NSC.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Interesting this morning that every site you click on has a photo of Brighton in with people "enjoying the sun" and "defying lockdown".

Here

Here

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coro...s-during-heatwave/ar-BB14o9n1?ocid=spartandhp

(pubs have been doing takeaway from the start via delivery services, also seafront office have been in contact with seafront businesses to advise they can serve takeaway)

Then, in the football, we are the main enemy of Project Restart despite Deeney not training and Watford having three confirmed virus cases.

Does anyone else think it's weird that the spotlight is on a town that has had only 409 cases, only 5 new ones in the last week and that has repeatedly asked people NOT to travel or gather here?

Wasn’t aware the media had any form of dislike for our once proud town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It's quite simple: the right-wing press have organised a conflict between the provinces (where their readership is largely based) and the metropoles, home of 'the elite' of which Brighton is one of the most exemplary exponents (and where their readership is far lower).
Within this crude divide, NSC is quite an interesting test case as there are representatives of both amongst B&HA fans, although I suspect there are more of the latter than the former (it might be that the latter are more vociferous -- "the chattering classes" against "the silent majority"). This also explains how so many of the political arguments/debates/discussions are structured on NSC.

This “silent majority” you talk of continually frustrate the chattering classes in anything that resembles putting a X on a bit of paper in a booth, and it must be extremely irritating.

Maybe the chattering classes would do better by stop chattering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Reckon Southend had far worse press yesterday

The majority of media photos I've seen this week, about people on the beach, are of Southend?

Yes and Devon and Cornwall. Lots of stories about people traveling to their beaches from all over the country. We had similar at Norfolk beaches. I guess though that you choose a story to read dependent upon your pre existing interest. I am more likely to read one about East Anglia than elsewhere just as Brighton residents are more pre-disposed to read stories/absorb photos about Brighton.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Yes.

Brighton is associated with, (and nationally renowned for) youth, tolerance, diversity, environmentalism and remain. This puts us on the front line and a target in chief for the billionaire press and their pathetic culture war.

I take pride in my city when the Daily Mail slates us.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Oh and is there a mod who can change the OP's description of Brighton as a town to a city :)

Jan 30, 2008
Yes.

Brighton is associated with, (and nationally renowned for) youth, tolerance, diversity, environmentalism and remain. This puts us on the front line and a target in chief for the billionaire press and their pathetic culture war.

I take pride in my city when the Daily Mail slates us.
more like a deluded oasis in the UK, a bit like a little London set up totally unaware of its surroundings
regards
DF

boik

Here

Here

I think it's most likely that the word "Brighton" grabs your attention so you read those articles. If it said "Harrogate" for example you'd probably skip past it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The right wing media have been putting in the boot for longer than some realise. I'd say it goes back to the mid-80s. Since we stopped being a kiss-me-quick seaside town.

Not bothered about such coverage except the blatant lies that are spread. They are only writing for their own audiences plus the few PPFs that exist here.

PS- It will always be a town to me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think it's most likely that the word "Brighton" grabs your attention so you read those articles. If it said "Harrogate" for example you'd probably skip past it.

Wrong. Here's a really snide example from The Independant. Just scroll down on MSN.

brighton beach.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here