Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Electrical advice required!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
One of the circuits in our house seems to have tripped.

Sockets and lights aren't working in the kitchen.

However nothing is tripped in the fusebox, all the switches are still in the 'on' position – see photo.

Apart from the big switches saying RCD protected circuits – the one on the left appears to be up, but the one on the right 'in the middle'. However my wife says she can't "put the one on the right up" (I'm not at home, am trying to solve this remotely!). Or is it actually that the one on the left should be 'in the middle', not up (as that looks to me like the downstairs/kitchen circuits)?

Any idea what I can do? Thanks!

fusebox.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Watt do you want to know?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Sorted it, mods you can delete this thread or just let it sink. Thanks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Good news! Must be a worry when you don’t have electricity in your h-Ω.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

You can't leave it at that ! What was the issue ? Looking at the photo the switch on the right above the green sticker doesn't actually look fully up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’d advice calling the landlord if your house is cur-rented.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
You can't leave it at that ! What was the issue ? Looking at the photo the switch on the right above the green sticker doesn't actually look fully up.

You really want to know? ???

Yes, it was the right hand RCD switch. We turned off every circuit switch, which enabled us to then turn the RCD switch back on. Then flipped each circuit back on, one by one, until we found the one that tripped the RCD switch. This revealed which socket circuit had the issue. Then it was a case of testing every appliance on that circuit until we found what (the toaster, natch) was tripping it.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Ohm glad you got it sorted

It’s easy to get con-fused when you’re trying to fix things remotely

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seemed like a 30 minute job.

20 minutes more than is necessary.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
You really want to know? ???

Yes, it was the right hand RCD switch. We turned off every circuit switch, which enabled us to then turn the RCD switch back on. Then flipped each circuit back on, one by one, until we found the one that tripped the RCD switch. This revealed which socket circuit had the issue. Then it was a case of testing every appliance on that circuit until we found what (the toaster, natch) was tripping it.

So what you did was turn it all off, and then back on again?

Who'da thunk it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
One of the circuits in our house seems to have tripped.

Sockets and lights aren't working in the kitchen.

However nothing is tripped in the fusebox, all the switches are still in the 'on' position – see photo.

Apart from the big switches saying RCD protected circuits – the one on the left appears to be up, but the one on the right 'in the middle'. However my wife says she can't "put the one on the right up" (I'm not at home, am trying to solve this remotely!). Or is it actually that the one on the left should be 'in the middle', not up (as that looks to me like the downstairs/kitchen circuits)?

Any idea what I can do? Thanks!

View attachment 123887

You are gonna take electrical advice on the internet from NSC ? - Even though you know that Plumbers on here advise on Tax Matters and Tax Professionals on here advise on Plumbing Matters ?

Good Luck with that one !

I will keep an eye out for the '' RIP bhafc99 '' thread next week

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here