Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] PL B teams and strategic partnerships

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
With the parlous situation of EFL clubs, the Premier League B teams idea has raised its ugly head once more. I think almost everyone would agree that it's a nonstarter. However, would mutually beneficial partnerships be more palatable to the punter?

An arrangement that saw loanees, coaches and expertise heading to a league 2 club wouldn't be so bad, would it? If this became a reality, which club would you like to see Brighton linked to? Or is the very idea the work of the devil?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd rather we sent more players to Union SG, as they are in a different league pyramid.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
With the parlous situation of EFL clubs, the Premier League B teams idea has raised its ugly head once more. I think almost everyone would agree that it's a nonstarter. However, would mutually beneficial partnerships be more palatable to the punter?

An arrangement that saw loanees, coaches and expertise heading to a league 2 club wouldn't be so bad, would it? If this became a reality, which club would you like to see Brighton linked to? Or is the very idea the work of the devil?

The very idea is the work of the devil

The b team competition that we are in, and the plummeting interest after we were admitted should put paid to anyone remotely sensible thinking this is a good idea.

However we do have to work out ways for lower league clubs to survive. But not this

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
B teams - no.

I can see more flexibility in the loan system being mutually beneficial; not short term loans though - the young player would have to be committed to his host club for not less than half a season, as now. Slightly more formal links between two clubs? Not sure about that.

P.S. Am fully in favour of our B teams playing in the Checkatrade; just not in the league.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I would be voting ‘work of the devil’ if there were a poll.
Seems wrong to effectively take over the identity of another club and would only be possible because of financial muscle. It is up to the fans of the weaker clubs to oppose the idea as I am sure we would if it were the other way around.
If PL clubs want more meaningful football for their U23 players then bring back reserve teams/leagues.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I’ve always wondered why we don’t have a closer partnership with Crawley. Im not suggesting we flood their squad with our U23s, but I’m sure there could be a mutually beneficial outcome that would see us sending two or three players a season to get game time and help them push for promotion to League One.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’ve always wondered why we don’t have a closer partnership with Crawley. Im not suggesting we flood their squad with our U23s, but I’m sure there could be a mutually beneficial outcome that would see us sending two or three players a season to get game time and help them push for promotion to League One.

That kind of arrangement would not be beneficial to Crawley youngsters.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Hate the idea of PL B teams. I can understand the advantages of PL teams but not everything should be for their / our benefit.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I was under the impression that, as of 2014, Crawley no longer had a youth academy/ youth team.

Also in reply to [MENTION=25402]Blue Valkyrie[/MENTION]

I didn’t know that. Fair enough then.
Makes you wonder what the future holds for them. I would have thought that bringing through youngsters should be one of the most important roles of any football club.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Also in reply to [MENTION=25402]Blue Valkyrie[/MENTION]

Makes you wonder what the future holds for them. I would have thought that bringing through youngsters should be one of the most important roles of any football club.
It looks like they announced in September 2018 that the U23s would be back, but that has clearly been delayed it seems.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Makes you wonder what the future holds for them. I would have thought that bringing through youngsters should be one of the the most important roles of any football club.

Agreed, especially lower down the footballing pyramid. I think the closure of their academy coincided with their fall from League 1 to League 2. I know many on here see Crawley as a bit of a joke, but I certainly wouldn’t complain seeing another Sussex club doing well in the football league. Especially if they were doing us a favour by giving our U23’s experience at the same time.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
I would be voting ‘work of the devil’ if there were a poll.
Seems wrong to effectively take over the identity of another club and would only be possible because of financial muscle. It is up to the fans of the weaker clubs to oppose the idea as I am sure we would if it were the other way around.
If PL clubs want more meaningful football for their U23 players then bring back reserve teams/leagues.

Well said, for much of our history we could have been on the reciving end of these proposals. The true beauty of English football is the number of league clubs, all standing independently, and having their own history and identities.

SAC

May 21, 2014
It all changed in 2012 when they intorduced EPPP letting clubs with expensive Category 1 academies steal players from non C1 clubs. A lot of clubs decided it just wasn't worth it anymore.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think we should use Orient as a feeder club - for old time's sake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here