Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] One Parking Solution warned by a Judge that they may face a civil restraint order

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
I'm posting this here now for local interest and information to help people know how to fight private parking charges. This is a factual post so that there can be no objection from the Claimant firm, who are a notorious local parking company who currently go by the name of One Parking Solution Ltd. They are the parking firm of choice (at the moment) for BHCC.

The press are interested now and so you might read about it soon anyway, but may not have realised, it's one of mine!

This judgment can be used in evidence for parking charge appeals and especially to support court defences. Although county court decisions are not a 'precedent' and have no effect as such on other cases, you can use a court transcript like this to illustrate a point and invite the Judge to make the same decision.

As some of you know, I also post as Coupon-mad on MSE and was the 'lay representative' in this case, so I spoke and presented the Defendant's case. Let's just say, the Judge has torn One Parking Solution Ltd a new one:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.co...an-application-for-a-civil-restraint-order/p1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejv0ytejgnu4f57/One Parking Solution v Ms W 5 Feb 2020.pdf?dl=0

I've read it a dozen times - ignore the typos, the court handed this down during lockdown last month so there are some amusing errors, the best one being ''dinner'' instead of ''in a'' and the various spellings of the surname of the person whose name was on the Claimant's Witness Statement. It is a genuine scan of a court judgment from Lewes Court.

Still waiting to see if One Parking Solution try to appeal it.

I was also the lay rep in the Southampton case this judgment refers to, where it was held that parking firms cannot pretend the 'debt' is £160, because that's double recovery and not lawful. Judges all over the country have picked that one up and they are repeating those findings.

To avoid issues for this forum, I'd suggest no naming names of those who run OPS, and please no speculating here on the forum as to who I am, in case someone knows me! I'm happy that my name appears on court transcripts and in the press - if they write about it as they say they will - but that's it.

:cool:

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
I'm posting this here now for local interest and information to help people know how to fight private parking charges. This is a factual post so that there can be no objection from the Claimant firm, who are a notorious local parking company who currently go by the name of One Parking Solution Ltd. They are the parking firm of choice (at the moment) for BHCC.

The press are interested now and so you might read about it soon anyway, but may not have realised, it's one of mine!

This judgment can be used in evidence for parking charge appeals and especially to support court defences. Although county court decisions are not a 'precedent' and have no effect as such on other cases, you can use a court transcript like this to illustrate a point and invite the Judge to make the same decision.

As some of you know, I also post as Coupon-mad on MSE and was the 'lay representative' in this case, so I spoke and presented the Defendant's case. Let's just say, the Judge has torn One Parking Solution Ltd a new one:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.co...an-application-for-a-civil-restraint-order/p1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejv0ytejgnu4f57/One Parking Solution v Ms W 5 Feb 2020.pdf?dl=0

I've read it a dozen times - ignore the typos, the court handed this down during lockdown last month so there are some amusing errors, the best one being ''dinner'' instead of ''in a'' and the various spellings of the surname of the person whose name was on the Claimant's Witness Statement. It is a genuine scan of a court judgment from Lewes Court.

Still waiting to see if One Parking Solution try to appeal it.

I was also the lay rep in the Southampton case this judgment refers to, where it was held that parking firms cannot pretend the 'debt' is £160, because that's double recovery and not lawful. Judges all over the country have picked that one up and they are repeating those findings.

To avoid issues for this forum, I'd suggest no naming names of those who run OPS, and please no speculating here on the forum as to who I am, in case someone knows me! I'm happy that my name appears on court transcripts and in the press - if they write about it as they say they will - but that's it.

:cool:

May be of interest to you

Attachments

• Bankfodder.JPG
    Bankfodder.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 640

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
That is one hell of a judgement and although it doesn't set a precedent it is very interesting that the judge has concluded that any grace period is in addition to parking, reading the contract etc.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I work for a debt advice charity so this is of interest to me. They're one of the worst companies that I have to deal with

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Blimey she kept the engine running on a 12 minute call - Great won't be happy! Fantastic work btw.

My folks received a threatening parking charge letter recently from the lot managing car parking at University of Brighton Falmer campus. The, I assume newly installed, ANPR had clocked them entering the campus at a certain time and exiting an hour or so later and must have run an automatic check with parking tickets purchased in that time and not finding one for their little Fiesta issued a PCN...not realising that they legally parked in the Virgin Active which can only be accessed through the University - that will hopefully screw their future efforts to issue such revenue-generating notices!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Blimey she kept the engine running on a 12 minute call - Great won't be happy! Fantastic work btw.

My folks received a threatening parking charge letter recently from the lot managing car parking at University of Brighton Falmer campus. The, I assume newly installed, ANPR had clocked them entering the campus at a certain time and exiting an hour or so later and must have run an automatic check with parking tickets purchased in that time and not finding one for their little Fiesta issued a PCN...not realising that they legally parked in the Virgin Active which can only be accessed through the University - that will hopefully screw their future efforts to issue such revenue-generating notices!

ANPR took over from OPS when they lost yet another contract. The cameras seem to capture every car than goes on to, or past the campus including Virgin Active members, staff, visitors and contractors. I was wondering how they avoided ticketing them, they obviously don’t!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

ANPR took over from OPS when they lost yet another contract. The cameras seem to capture every car than goes on to, or past the campus including Virgin Active members, staff, visitors and contractors. I was wondering how they avoided ticketing them, they obviously don’t!

Unless they get this sorted, it's going to be fun when Virgin active reopen when its safe to do so.

If this is their current approach I'm surprised my wife hasn't had a ticket yet, as she usually goes to Virgin Active at least 3 times a week.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Excellent work madam and congratulations on a justified success, however one thinks this whole saga would have been avoided if the defendant had paired her phone to the car's Bluetooth.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I wonder if someone furious will be along “shortly” :whistle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I work for a debt advice charity so this is of interest to me. They're one of the worst companies that I have to deal with

I'll PM you advice. Citizens Advice are useless in this situation. They actually think these 'contracts' and 'fines' are valid and enforceable. They are not.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I picked up one of those comedy PCN's from Homebase carpark in Old Shoreham Road a few months ago, pre-lockdown. I'd had a very casual stroll around Homebase and didn't realise there was actually enforcement, it's been a long time since there was - or since I parked for more than an hour. I've had two letters about it, both torn up and thrown away without a response or acknowledgement from me. It did make me wonder about the cars always parked in the section by Leighton Road. Either they must never leave the carpark or they're getting tickets all over the place - presumably they're just ignoring them as well?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I picked up one of those comedy PCN's from Homebase carpark in Old Shoreham Road a few months ago, pre-lockdown. I'd had a very casual stroll around Homebase and didn't realise there was actually enforcement, it's been a long time since there was - or since I parked for more than an hour. I've had two letters about it, both torn up and thrown away without a response or acknowledgement from me. It did make me wonder about the cars always parked in the section by Leighton Road. Either they must never leave the carpark or they're getting tickets all over the place - presumably they're just ignoring them as well?

"Managed" by G24 who are about as scary as a jelly. Wouldn't normally advise ripping them up but G24 have never done court. I notice there is now a charge if you stay over an hour. If they think I'm paying to shop at Homebase, or Carpet Right, they have another thing coming. I once phoned the G24 offie asking to speak to the CEO ( who I won't name as it will get me into trouble with Bozza ! ) over a 100 times in one day - they weren't amused :lol:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Well done [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] !!!

"Please don't make it personal" .... hmmm, GB's post ? Not that I have a an issue naming and shaming con artists or right wing TEOs in GBs case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here