Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Harry’s Heroes

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wot no thread ?

That was really quite painful to watch towards the end. Poor old Razor is a mess and it’s deeply troubling Merson who’s been there himself.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Wot no thread ?

That was really quite painful to watch towards the end. Poor old Razor is a mess and it’s deeply troubling Merson who’s been there himself.

Razor’s wife was crying that she couldn’t do anything with him, yet earlier was encouraging him to drink Jaegar bombs etc.
Merse was genuinely pleading with him to save his life.

I think the programme makers have a lot to answer for by including him in the first place. Giving him a platform to play up to the cameras and in front of the others wasn't in his best interests when it was clear he could never play because of his health.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think the programme makers have a lot to answer for by including him in the first place. Giving him a platform to play up to the cameras and in front of the others wasn't in his best interests when it was clear he could never play because of his health.

It’s possible they didn’t know. Razor didn’t tell Harry until they were in France.
I get the impression he needs the money, as I’ve very recently seen a clip from Can’t Pay, Take it Away where Mrs Ruddock is abusing bailiffs.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It was clear in the one they did last year that he can’t be trusted not to be an arse or just head to the nearest boozer.

I met him, Mark Wright, Paul Walsh and Don Hutchison at a charity football event last year - great raconteur but a total mess. You could tell he was effectively a benign bully pretty much dictating how the group acted what they did etc.

They spent half an hour wandering around chatting to the teams but literally every five minutes Ruddock was asking what pub the awards were in and why didn’t they just head there and get started and wait for us to finish our tournament.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Ruddock has always come across as a dislikeable character and the pub scene last night showed him at his very worst. And his wife is a total contradiction of herself. Everything he says and does is laddish.

I seriously hope he sorts himself out. Merson didn't deserve that treatment from him.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It goes to show how over-edited (or possibly booze free, or both) Celebrity Masterchef is. Ruddock was presented as an honest geezer who likes good old fashioned British Grub on there. Probably bonded with Gregg, the ex-Millwall hoolie.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I was half watching this - after last year I thought it would be a case of "same old, same old" in a cheesy format and the usual silly banter. But I might well watch it again. Razor is actually a decent fella - well when I met him - sad if he doesn't want to change and lose a few stone. It's exactly my honeymoon era as a kid - late eighties - when football had real characters. Mark Dennis, Tony Adams, Bryan Robson etc.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I totally agree.

The programme is just a Celebrity version of '' Benefits Britain - Life on the Dole'' or ''Can't Pay We Will Take it Away''

Put some people on screen who have fallen on hard times. Pay them a bit of cash knowing that they are hard up through their own making, be it drink, drugs or gambling. Just so that we can either feel sorry for them, or not, whatever, peoples differing views maybe. And once one of them potentially takes their own life we can as a nation be ''outraged''

There is obviously an appetite for such programmes because we all watch them but I can't help but think the people who go on them must be so desperate for money that they have to expose themselves to Public Ridicule. Quite sad really.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was clear in the one they did last year that he can’t be trusted not to be an arse or just head to the nearest boozer.

I met him, Mark Wright, Paul Walsh and Don Hutchison at a charity football event last year - great raconteur but a total mess. You could tell he was effectively a benign bully pretty much dictating how the group acted what they did etc.

They spent half an hour wandering around chatting to the teams but literally every five minutes Ruddock was asking what pub the awards were in and why didn’t they just head there and get started and wait for us to finish our tournament.

Paul Walsh was playing in the matches last night - along with Steve Howey, Trevor Steven and (the Palace) Andy Gray. The were all listed as ‘England substitutes’ in the credits, but for some reason always edited out of any close ups / bits of action / dressing room angles, etc. Bit odd, I thought - surely Paul Walsh is as interesting as Mark Chamberlain or Mark Wright? Why not just include them all in the program properly? :shrug:

They did the same last year - Lee Hendrie was one of the un-named subs.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

He is clearly a bad influence on the rest so once they realised he couldn't play he and his Wag Mrs should have been sent home.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He is clearly a bad influence on the rest so once they realised he couldn't play he and his Wag Mrs should have been sent home.

Agree, but wouldn't have made such compelling telly then though, would it...............as [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] says, it's sad. I think Merson was genuinely distressed.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Agree, but wouldn't have made such compelling telly then though, would it...............as [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] says, it's sad. I think Merson was genuinely distressed.

It made me embarrassed to watch a former has been with 1 cap sitting pissed in a pub with a bra on his head. As for Mrs Ruddock's pout?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It made me embarrassed to watch a former has been with 1 cap sitting pissed in a pub with a bra on his head. As for Mrs Ruddock's pout?

Indeed - does look like they knew what they were doing when they signed him up...as for Mrs Razor, I'm less interested in her pout TBH.....but more the way she flipped from 'needing to keep an eye on him', to downing jaegers with him, and then bawling about how he's killing himself perhaps said quite a bit about her. It's completely ruined the essence of the programme anyway - it's now the Neil Ruddock Show and all about him. Should have binned him off when he announced he couldn't play if they wanted the programme to be about 'legends football'. Seaman called it right when he stomped off in a huff before the game v the naked footballers muttering 'I used to play for England'.

Football-themed car crash Big Brother-type stuff now.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Indeed - does look like they knew what they were doing when they signed him up...as for Mrs Razor, I'm less interested in her pout TBH.....but more the way she flipped from 'needing to keep an eye on him', to downing jaegers with him, and then bawling about how he's killing himself perhaps said quite a bit about her. It's completely ruined the essence of the programme anyway - it's now the Neil Ruddock Show and all about him. Should have binned him off when he announced he couldn't play if they wanted the programme to be about 'legends football'. Seaman called it right when he stomped off in a huff before the game v the naked footballers muttering 'I used to play for England'.

Football-themed car crash Big Brother-type stuff now.

I slightly disagree - Just slightly

I think he makes for good funny TV.

There are some players who will quite willingly put themselves forward for ridicule or admiration, so long as the price is right.

You only have to look at people like Gary Linicker and all those Naff Walkers Crisps Adverts - Gary is laughing all the way to the bank and is probably for the most part emotionally unaffected by it.

Que also Chris Kamara - He is also happy to put himself up to be poked fun at and he too laughs all the way to the bank with the TV Companies Monies in his hip pocket.

Its when they prey on the emotionally vulnerable ones like Paul Merson or Gazza to have the Public say ''Awe - Poor them '' : Programmes like X-Factor do it all the time. Throw in a sob story so that we can all have a weep about and at the expense of vulnerable people. That doesn't sit well with me.

Lots of Footballers are going through hard times by virtue of Messy Divorces or Addictions of some sort but who would never open themselves up to Public Consumption for a quick Financial Fix.

The ones who are willing to open themselves up for the money are being exploited by the TV Companies and that's a shame. It is no better than prodding a bear with a stick to make it dance for the Public as far as I am concerned, although in this instance, the stick is Dollar Bills or £ Notes.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I slightly disagree - Just slightly

I think he makes for good funny TV.

There are some players who will quite willingly put themselves forward for ridicule or admiration, so long as the price is right.

You only have to look at people like Gary Linicker and all those Naff Walkers Crisps Adverts - Gary is laughing all the way to the bank and is probably for the most part emotionally unaffected by it.

Que also Chris Kamara - He is also happy to put himself up to be poked fun at and he too laughs all the way to the bank with the TV Companies Monies in his hip pocket.

Its when they prey on the emotionally vulnerable ones like Paul Merson or Gazza to have the Public say ''Awe - Poor them '' : Programmes like X-Factor do it all the time. Throw in a sob story so that we can all have a weep about and at the expense of vulnerable people. That doesn't sit well with me.

Lots of Footballers are going through hard times by virtue of Messy Divorces or Addictions of some sort but who would never open themselves up to Public Consumption for a quick Financial Fix.

The ones who are willing to open themselves up for the money are being exploited by the TV Companies and that's a shame. It is no better than prodding a bear with a stick to make it dance for the Public as far as I am concerned, although in this instance, the stick is Dollar Bills or £ Notes.

The trouble is that even with a pacemaker Ruddock will probably still die young from something else and then there will be question marks over programmes like this.
I just want to be entertained and see some footy.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The trouble is that even with a pacemaker Ruddock will probably still die young from something else and then there will be question marks over programmes like this.
I just want to be entertained and see some footy.

Thats true but Razor is the type of Guy who would be doing this with or without the TV Programme. So getting paid for doing something he loves doing. I have a feeling Razor will be thinking ''Quids in ''

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Paul Walsh was playing in the matches last night - along with Steve Howey, Trevor Steven and (the Palace) Andy Gray. The were all listed as ‘England substitutes’ in the credits, but for some reason always edited out of any close ups / bits of action / dressing room angles, etc. Bit odd, I thought - surely Paul Walsh is as interesting as Mark Chamberlain or Mark Wright? Why not just include them all in the program properly? :shrug:

They did the same last year - Lee Hendrie was one of the un-named subs.

I think I wrote on here at the time that I spent a bit of time chatting to Walsh and he was imminently more interesting and erudite and welcomed the engagement. Now you’ve said it I seem to recall him saying there was a chance he’d join the group to play in that. Shame they didn’t focus on him but then he’s actually together and doesn’t make good tv.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So many of us are the same, a lot of social activity in this country revolves around alcohol.

I drink too frequently, or did, I've learnt to keep a better track on things. Some friends will enjoy my company but point out, from time to time, oh I saw you were out again etc etc. But, as soon as I start DryJanuary and say I'll come along but then don't drink, it's all go on, you've done great have a night off.

We tend to have booze with everything and it's only when you abstain for longish periods you really see the peer pressure we create.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
So many of us are the same, a lot of social activity in this country revolves around alcohol.

I drink too frequently, or did, I've learnt to keep a better track on things. Some friends will enjoy my company but point out, from time to time, oh I saw you were out again etc etc. But, as soon as I start DryJanuary and say I'll come along but then don't drink, it's all go on, you've done great have a night off.

We tend to have booze with everything and it's only when you abstain for longish periods you really see the peer pressure we create.

Top post and I fully concur. I have good and bad periods, during the good periods I am very conscious that I feel great, during the bad periods I get annoyed with myself that I feel shit. I try to have more good than bad now but I never see a time when I’d go 100% teetotal, I turned 18 in 1987 and those next 15 years with my mates and the UK culture then means I’ll never change, I expect millions are in the same boat.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here