Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Luke Chadwick: "I wouldn't want to go out..."

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I found this sad and poignant reading on the BBC website today.

Luke Chadwick, a 'running joke' on the BBC series They Think It's all Over because of his appearance used to live in dread of the show coming on the TV and made him not want to go out. Fair play to Luke Chadwick speaking out, and fair play also to the host, Nick Hancock, saying how appalled he is with himself. I can't recall with any certainty all these years later, but chances are I was probably sat at home laughing along at the jokes too. :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52652459

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Luke Chadwick, a 'running joke' on the BBC series They Think It's all Over because of his appearance used to live in dread of the show coming on the TV and made him not want to go out. Fair play to Luke Chadwick speaking out, and fair play also to the host, Nick Hancock, saying how appalled he is with himself. I can't recall with any certainty all these years later, but chances are I was probably sat at home laughing along at the jokes too. :(

BBC Breakfast had a long live interview this morning with Hancock and also Jason ‘Pineapple On His Head’ Lee. I think Hancock may also have been a writer for the mid-90’s Baddiel & Skinner Fantasy Football League, which featured that song. Hancock genuinely regretted both send ups. Far more insensitive times for comedy?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
BBC Breakfast had a long live interview this morning with Hancock and also Jason ‘Pineapple On His Head’ Lee. I think Hancock may also have been a writer for the mid-90’s Baddiel & Skinner Fantasy Football League, which featured that song. Hancock genuinely regretted both send ups. Far more insensitive times for comedy?

I think TV comedians etc are far less likely today to make fun of someones physical appearance and similar things (perhaps with the exception of politicians), its just not as accepted anymore - and thats a very good thing, because not only could harm the "celeb" itself (in this case Chadwick) but also anyone who feels insecure about their look. I can imagine 90s caused a shit load of eating disorders, i.e.

Too bad that a lot of comedians realising this and changing their comedy dont mean shit since social media, x1000, took their place as bullies of society.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think TV comedians etc are far less likely today to make fun of someones physical appearance and similar things (perhaps with the exception of politicians), its just not as accepted anymore - and thats a very good thing, because not only could harm the "celeb" itself (in this case Chadwick) but also anyone who feels insecure about their look. I can imagine 90s caused a shit load of eating disorders, i.e.

Too bad that a lot of comedians realising this and changing their comedy dont mean shit since social media, x1000, took their place as bullies of society.

I was thinking that last bit too. It’s free season for bullying over the internet.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I was thinking that last bit too. It’s free season for bullying over the internet.

Grew up watching Fantasy Football (and to a lesser extent They think it’s all over) and the running joke on Jason Lee seemed hilarious to me at the time. Having just watched back an old sketch, there are some funny moments but there’s so much you wouldn’t even attempt let alone get away with in this day and age.

- White man in blackface
- Black man has hilarious hairstyle which looks like pineapple
- Dreadlocks can be used as straw through which juice can be drunk from said pineapple
- Etc.

I’m a big believer that you have to view old TV programs in the context of the era they were created in - growing up I never really saw any harm in the The Simpson’s character Apu Nahasapeemapetilon (surname successfully copied and pasted), but in the cold light of day there are some pretty clear cut racial prejudices on display.

However, whilst there are times I lament ‘snowflakes’ and the ‘woke generation’, I think cases like Luke Chadwick and Jason Lee are a stark reminder that maybe it’s for the best that times have moved on.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Grew up watching Fantasy Football (and to a lesser extent They think it’s all over) and the running joke on Jason Lee seemed hilarious to me at the time. Having just watched back an old sketch, there are some funny moments but there’s so much you wouldn’t even attempt let alone get away with in this day and age.

- White man in blackface
- Dreadlocks can be used as straw through which juice can be drunk from said pineapple
- Etc.

I’m a big believer that you have to view old TV programs in the context of the era they were created in - growing up I never really saw any harm in the The Simpson’s character Apu Nahasapeemapetilon (surname successfully copied and pasted), but in the cold light of day there are some pretty clear cut racial prejudices on display.

However, whilst there are times I lament ‘snowflakes’ and the ‘woke generation’, I think cases like Luke Chadwick and Jason Lee are a stark reminder that maybe it’s for the best that times have moved on.

I’m fussy on comedies, but I really liked Fantasy Football League. I can still remember some good one liners, 99% of it innocent even now. No malice intended. I remember them having quick fire lookalike picture captions eg Ian Dowie and a Star Wars character I think, Phil Neville and Wilfred Bramble. I used to love The Simpsons, but haven’t watched it in 15 years. Was that character a stereotype of a small shop owner?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

- White man in blackface
- Etc.

Despite this, I was surprised to read of Lee’s reaction at the time, the opposite to Chadwick’s. Fortunately, he can now see the damage the satire could have caused.

“However his career will be best remembered for two years in the Premier League with Forest and the notoriety brought about by a pair of merciless comedians.

'I loved it,' says the Londoner. 'I can't sit here now and say I didn't, although I changed my opinion slightly later.’”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ad-PFA-Jason-Lee-Fantasy-Football-infamy.html

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I was ribbed mercilessly myself at school for various reasons, some physical and some other.
I stood on the terraces from tbe seventies , it was clear then that footballers need the skin of a rhinoceros to take the field every week . The best of them would be insulted in a manner that would intolerable, normally. Yet they seemed to thrive on it ,turning a deaf ear to it, and enjoying the cheers if a shot actually hit target .
So I was surprised by Chadwick's comments , I thought any pro player had the temperament to ignore such stuff,

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I was ribbed mercilessly myself at school for various reasons, some physical and some other.
I stood on the terraces from tbe seventies , it was clear then that footballers need the skin of a rhinoceros to take the field every week . The best of them would be insulted in a manner that would intolerable, normally. Yet they seemed to thrive on it ,turning a deaf ear to it, and enjoying the cheers if a shot actually hit target .
So I was surprised by Chadwick's comments , I thought any pro player had the temperament to ignore such stuff,

You can’t coach anyone to simply ignore abuse, particularly footballers who some people think are paid to put up with it. It is one reason that I would never criticise Cantona for his Kung Fu kick.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I feel for him. I suffered quite badly with acne when I was 14 ish, and school at the time was a bloody nightmare. Unfortunately, it was the late 70's so any concept of bullying and teachers helping me had not yet been invented.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Fantasy football league was brilliant for it's time, but yes, I'm glad society is now moving on from bullying someone for their appearance for entertainment.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

- White man in blackface
- Etc.

Agree (for some reason I can't thumbs up). What I find odd is that Baddiel hasn't apologised for this when challenged .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I think it is worth trying to separate stereotypes and prejudices. Not all of the former, are driven by the latter.

Apu is a nice guy - in a fictional town where almost every other inhabitant is thick, or a tw4t or a thick tw4t.

He’s a successful business man, with a PHD in computer science. As with the Alf Garnett stuff - nobody should look at the use of race in comedy, and automatically assume that the writer is laughing at the minority character - rather they are laughing at the dim bigots around him.

Anyway - here’s a recent discussion on Apu, with input from US-based Indians on either side of the Apu debate: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-44027613

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Michael Jordan used to make up being taunted by someone on the other team in order to humiliate the completely innocent opposition player, in question.

Unpack that mindset!!!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I think Luke Chadwick was probably really hurt by all the ridicule years ago. That was really sad to do that to anyone.

However, I sneakily think he also came out and told this story now to say - '' Look at me now - I have turned out a lot better looking than any of you guys who mocked me ever were ''

Good for him !

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
The thing I remember most from that program, and it wasn't the humour, was Nick Hancock's disgustingly yellow/orange fingers. Must have smoked 40 a day for donkey's years :smokin::sick::sick::sick:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Must have been horrible for the poor little lamb.....playing football for a living for the biggest club in the world, no doubt earning a serious wedge. Looking back now its a wonder he coped!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here