Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herd Immunity 2.0?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
With that we need to be real.

Scientists might break all records and have something prepared in months.

But then again, it might take years or might never come. Vaccines usually take years and coronavirus vaccines are very hard to make.

At this point, we don't know what that future holds.

For the present, we need to live with this like we do other illnesses. The best thing we currently have is our own immune systems. I'd like to see the emphasis on encouraging the boosting of those. There seems to be a lot of suggestions that Vitamin D could help stave off the worst of Covid-19 (before you get it). This might be why BAMEs are dying more than Europeans. Their dark skin repels sunlight while ours absorbs it.

Perhaps start focussing on that. A Vitamin D tablet or two won't do any harm.

I think the war on obesity initiative recently floated is another attempt to build up health and immunity.

I do like the idea of more cycle lanes, exercise embedded into daily routine. The £650m from government is a great move (did I just say that)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52708687

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
herd immunity, either by natural infection or vaccine, is indeed the only way will manage the virus. only daft buggers keep making any argument against this.

Is that the daft buggers who may die if they contract the virus. Currently there are 2.5 million daft buggers shielding. Just let them die, problem sorted.

It's worked for the care home crisis, plenty of beds in old people's homes now!

A rather neat way of sorting out the pensions and care home crisis all in one go, nice spot of natural euthanasia working in the government's favour!

And yes, I am being dramatic, but this is the reality facing some...

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Is that the daft buggers who may die if they contract the virus. Currently there are 2.5 million daft buggers shielding. Just let them die, problem sorted.

It's worked for the care home crisis, plenty of beds in old people's homes now!

A rather neat way of sorting out the pensions and care home crisis all in one go, nice spot of natural euthanasia working in the government's favour!

And yes, I am being dramatic, but this is the reality facing some...

It’s clear you’ve taken what he said and spun it into your own context, young healthy people building up immunity not only benefits the younger generations but in the long run helps stop vulnerable people being infected, whilst the vulnerable are shielded the more people who become immune = less people who can infect those vulnerable.

Another point I would add, I think there is a big switch going on in older/vulnerable people, I have 3 older relatives who to begin with were scared to go out but are now sick of all this, they acknowledge the risk to themselves but they are becoming more willing to take the risk and don’t want to waste their golden years locked up indoors not knowing when they’ll ever be able to leave the house again. The mental toll it takes on you knowing you are locked up with no end date is torture for many older people.

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It’s clear you’ve taken what he said and spun it into your own context, young healthy people building up immunity not only benefits the younger generations but in the long run helps stop vulnerable people being infected, whilst the vulnerable are shielded the more people who become immune = less people who can infect those vulnerable.

Another point I would add, I think there is a big switch going on in older/vulnerable people, I have 3 older relatives who to begin with were scared to go out but are now sick of all this, they acknowledge the risk to themselves but they are becoming more willing to take the risk and don’t want to waste their golden years locked up indoors not knowing when they’ll ever be able to leave the house again. The mental toll it takes on you knowing you are locked up with no end date is torture for many older people.

To be fair I can't disagree with anything you say, it was the use of "daft buggers" I objected to, as in anyone that thought staying in was stupid, i.e. a daft bugger irrespective of their circumstances

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yesterday Johnson "Coronavirus vaccine might not come to fruition"

Today Raab "UK may live with the virus for months if not years"

Whether we like it or not it we've being softened up, the lockdown is well and truly over. Seems like Herd Immunity 2.0 to be me

Do we have any choice?

I think this is exactly the plan, I fear we are becoming immune to the new cases/ deaths figures faster than to the virus.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think this is exactly the plan, I fear we are becoming immune to the new cases/ deaths figures faster than to the virus.

Would this not be the same for every type of death that’s announced daily?

If We announced Cancer deaths a day people wouldn’t pay as much attention in 2 months time

Don’t know what the answer is

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
False binary. Number 10 and the media were on the same side for ages pushing the fear narrative.

'The fear narrative' :wozza:
What part of the ONS' 55,000 excess deaths don't you understand? You literally refuse to engage with questions that challenge the latest iteration of the Social Darwinist project that you're advocating, so have a go with this one. Once you've managed to do this one, why not address the Argentina vs Brazil responses.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I think you've managed to carve a path between disparate views here :clap:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Yep, they are just numbers on a spreadsheet, numbers on a news bulletin, they are good news when “only” 200 die!

Only they aren’t just numbers, they are real people, who have/had family members who will now be grieving for them!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Yep, they are just numbers on a spreadsheet, numbers on a news bulletin, they are good news when “only” 200 die!

Only they aren’t just numbers, they are real people, who have/had family members who will now be grieving for them!

And what about all the people who face turmoil in a few months time when their loved ones die from stopped cancer treatments or undiagnosed cancer and other illnesses? People needing organ transplants? What about all the people who have lost livelihoods and face depression and mental health issues, what about the deaths a long term economic depression is proven to cause? Just to put the cancer thing into perspective, in April alone there were 20% of the normal cancer diagnosis plus tens of thousands of people had current cancer treatments stopped. It’s catastrophic.

The people who have died from COVID, are not a number but the only way people have of seeing where we are in the crisis is to use the number, nobody is celebrating the people dying, I hate it when I see people say this it’s just deliberately taking comments out of a context you know isn’t meant like that.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
And what about all the people who face turmoil in a few months time when their loved ones die from stopped cancer treatments or undiagnosed cancer and other illnesses? People needing organ transplants? What about all the people who have lost livelihoods and face depression and mental health issues, what about the deaths a long term economic depression is proven to cause? Just to put the cancer thing into perspective, in April alone there were 20% of the normal cancer diagnosis plus tens of thousands of people had current cancer treatments stopped. It’s catastrophic.

The people who have died from COVID, are not a number but the only way people have of seeing where we are in the crisis is to use the number, nobody is celebrating the people dying, I hate it when I see people say this it’s just deliberately taking comments out of a context you know isn’t meant like that.

So you can honestly say, hand on heart that you haven’t said “only xxx have died today”, if so we’ll done...

I guess from my family’s point of view we are quite lucky as my wife’s cancer is so severe they didn’t stop her treatment...!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
So you can honestly say, hand on heart that you haven’t said “only xxx have died today”, if so we’ll done...

I guess from my family’s point of view we are quite lucky as my wife’s cancer is so severe they didn’t stop her treatment...!

Yes because this time a month ago 1000+ people were dying in hospitals alone, now hospital deaths are 1/4 that, just because people say only doesn’t mean they don’t respect that’s still a lot of people - it’s just the only way we actually have it gauging where we are with this virus.

Sorry to hear about your wife, all the best hope her treatment is successful.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Sadly yes, we are already talking of sending the kids back to school when there are currently more daily deaths due to Covid-19 than when we actually shut the schools down in order to prevent deaths, and a cataclysmic wave of cases hitting the NHS !

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes because this time a month ago 1000+ people were dying in hospitals alone, now hospital deaths are 1/4 that, just because people say only doesn’t mean they don’t respect that’s still a lot of people - it’s just the only way we actually have it gauging where we are with this virus.

Sorry to hear about your wife, all the best hope her treatment is successful.

I'm sorry, but I get very humpy when I hear people talking about the number of deaths, as clearly it is very close to home.

I need to try and chill a bit, I know!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm sorry, but I get very humpy when I hear people talking about the number of deaths, as clearly it is very close to home.

I need to try and chill a bit, I know!

This is a fraught time for so many of us, but it's more fraught for some than others. Fair play for recognising that you need to chill (although I'm not so sure you do, you're always very measured), and good luck with it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Visited a supermarket yesterday no social distancing no queues to get in, the place was rammed I quickly departed. Give it a week or so and the country will be back in lockdown.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Visited a supermarket yesterday no social distancing no queues to get in, the place was rammed I quickly departed. Give it a week or so and the country will be back in lockdown.

I went yesterday. Social distancing in place and people being sensible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Was that Aldi or Lidl?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here