Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herd Immunity 2.0?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yesterday Johnson "Coronavirus vaccine might not come to fruition"

Today Raab "UK may live with the virus for months if not years"

Whether we like it or not it we've being softened up, the lockdown is well and truly over. Seems like Herd Immunity 2.0 to be me

Do we have any choice?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well I think a lot of elderly including my own are thinking just that.
I think theres quite a lot thinking the opposite now, havent seen lewes road so busy for months today

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Whether we like it or not it we've being softened up, the lockdown is well and truly over. Seems like Herd Immunity 2.0 to be me

Do we have any choice?

Throughout, scientists (other than the esteemed Donald Trump) have said that a vaccine may never be found or may be years away. Lockdown’s being eased or ended across the planet, with the UK, ROI and France seemingly the last. Lockdown’s still practiced by most people and businesses, eg Canary Wharf expect in a few weeks time when they ‘get back to normal‘, that just 10,000 workers out of 105,000 will resume working there.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Do we have any choice?

I'm not sure if Raab said what you are attributing to him there, but those exact words were said by Professor Jonathan Van-Tam, England's deputy chief medical officer, in today's press briefing.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I guess every country in Europe who is easing restrictions is going for herd immunity then :facepalm:

Shielding the elderly whilst the young & healthy build up immunity categorically is the only way out of this if no treatment or vaccine is found, you might not like that but it’s true - a coronavirus family vaccine has never worked and despite resources going into this one, this could quite easily not work as well. So if there’s no vaccine and no drugs in the next 6 months, what do you suppose we do? :shrug: Answers on a post card please.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Yes. You can stay in your house for ever.

:shrug:

Great idea. I can stop working and become tax payer reliant and no longer be a tax contributor.

I’m sure my annual contribution will not be missed.

I have remove the additional comment. If you feel that you need to edit my post at least make it clear who you are any why.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We may not get a vaccine soon, but the blood plasma therapies being developed in Isreal, the Netherlands and the US, are looking good and promising and could well be a game changer.

It seems that there is a narrative to push the "hopelessness" of ever getting a vaccine, but I for one have a lot more faith in medical science than the Government doomsters and gloomsters seem to have.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
herd immunity, either by natural infection or vaccine, is indeed the only way will manage the virus. only daft buggers keep making any argument against this.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Great idea. I can stop working and become tax payer reliant and no longer be a tax contributor.

I’m sure my annual contribution will not be missed.

If your gonna edit my post at least make it clear who you are any why.

Apologies. I haven't edited your post - I replied to it but inadvertently pressed the wrong button available to me as a forum moderator, so my reply appeared embedded within your post. I have deleted my inadvertent comment, hence the 'edit' notification. I was in the middle of sending you a PM to explain this, but I guess no need for that now.

Anyway, rest assured that your post is exactly as you made it and has not been edited by me. I just ****ed up for a moment.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We may not get a vaccine soon, but the blood plasma therapies being developed in Isreal, the Netherlands and the US, are looking good and promising and could well be a game changer.

It seems that there is a narrative to push the "hopelessness" of ever getting a vaccine, but I for one have a lot more faith in medical science than the Government doomsters and gloomsters seem to have.

It’s from scientists (not just UK’s). They talk positively of hopes for a vaccine, but always with the caveat that a vaccine may never be found or may take up to a couple of years to go through all stages of development and testing.

Wouldn’t expect them to say anything less.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Who knows how close we are to herd immunity already? At the moment I have no idea.

I keep reading things that 50% of people have already had it (relatively high R0, relatively low IFR), or 5% (relatively low R0, relatively high IFR).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It’s from scientists (not just UK’s). They talk positively of hopes for a vaccine, but always with the caveat that a vaccine may never be found or may take up to a couple of years to go through all stages of development and testing.

That is almost a truism, but the doomsters and gloomsters in the UK Government clearly have an agenda at play to talk up the hopelessness of ever having a vaccine.

It is easy to see why they say this.

If there will never be a vaccine, then they can easily push the argument that the lockdown should be lifted asap.

However, if a vaccine is on the horizon then lifting the lockdown now is negligent if it leads the loss of just 1 extra life.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Vaccine being trialled by oxford infected ALL 6 monkeys with corona virus, we simply cannot rely on there being a vaccine. This is one of the reasons why although NZ/Australia look smart now with their response, ultimately in the long wrong it could be a disaster.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That is almost a truism, but the doomsters and gloomsters in the UK Government clearly have an agenda at play to talk up the hopelessness of ever having a vaccine.

It is easy to see why they say this.

If there will never be a vaccine, then they can easily push the argument that the lockdown should be lifted asap.

However, if a vaccine is on the horizon then lifting the lockdown is negligent if it leads the loss of just 1 extra life.

As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] pointed out the OP quote came from a scientist, not a politician.

The vaccine is not on the horizon. But the R number is on the retreat. Nations across Europe are reopening on an ambitious schedule far more advanced that ours eg Italy and Spain. Hotels, restaurants, shops, airports and flights, barbers and salons. A balancing act by the world’s governments of preventing economies, businesses, livelihoods and mental wellbeing all crashing, against some inevitable increase in covid deaths. We literally can’t lockdown indefinitely, for years possibly.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] pointed out the OP quote came from a scientist, not a politician.

The vaccine is not on the horizon. But the R number is on the retreat. Nations across Europe are reopening on an ambitious schedule far more advanced that ours eg Italy and Spain. Hotels, restaurants, shops, airports and flights, barbers and salons. A balancing act by the world’s governments of preventing economies, businesses, livelihoods and mental wellbeing all crashing, against some inevitable increase in covid deaths. We literally can’t lockdown indefinitely, for years possibly.

I have much more faith in world medical science, and I'm quite disappointed in the pushing of the narrative that medical science will take years to find a solution.

The ongoing work into blood plasma treatments all look very promising. The research into the link between bad outcomes and vitamin D deficiency seems interesting.

That is now. In another month there will be other new breakthroughs, and so it will go on.

But yes, let's chuck the towel in and meekly wave the white flags.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Apologies. I haven't edited your post - I replied to it but inadvertently pressed the wrong button available to me as a forum moderator, so my reply appeared embedded within your post. I have deleted my inadvertent comment, hence the 'edit' notification. I was in the middle of sending you a PM to explain this, but I guess no need for that now.

Anyway, rest assured that your post is exactly as you made it and has not been edited by me. I just ****ed up for a moment.

Thanks for confirming what was going on - I felt “hacked” !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have much more faith in world medical science, and I'm quite disappointed in the pushing of the narrative that medical science will take years to find a solution.

The ongoing work into blood plasma treatments all look very promising. The research into the link between bad outcomes and vitamin D deficiency seems interesting.

That is now. In another month there will be other new breakthroughs, and so it will go on.

But yes, let's chuck the towel in and meekly wave the white flags.

I see this as an inevitable compromise.

For now an unsustainable lockdown, here and overseas, is being eased.

Whilst scientists, backed by huge resources globally, work 24-7 to find a vaccine. I’m optimistic, based on nothing but hope. Politicians and scientists speak positively about the research, but neither group will celebrate until if and when it’s found. I don’t hear any of them depressingly throwing in the towel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here