Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Gorringes

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Many years since I purchased at Auction TodayI purchased some books on Gorringes online auction. Should have looked before but surprised by fees involved . 21% to Gorringes and 4% to online auction house. I think Gorringes charge same to seller. I remember many years ago people used to buy well at auction and resell at profit at another auction. With these fees those days must have gone

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Many years since I purchased at Auction TodayI purchased some books on Gorringes online auction. Should have looked before but surprised by fees involved . 21% to Gorringes and 4% to online auction house. I think Gorringes charge same to seller. I remember many years ago people used to buy well at auction and resell at profit at another auction. With these fees those days must have gone

If you don't like their fees, perhaps you should try one of their competitors:

www.gapples.com

www.gananas.com

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Me too :D:D:shootself

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
NSC for all its faults and accusations of clusters of old fogeys, rarely coincides with the BBC daytime obsession with Antiques and auctions. Apologies [MENTION=20814]amexer[/MENTION] but I am kind of glad this hasn't turned into a hot thread ....yet!

Whenever they talk about making cuts at the BBC my first response is to cut the antiques/auction/moving house shows from about ten down to one and the series length down to one show and just keeping showing it day after day in all the daytime slots they currently occupy with this endless drivel. If they negotiate low repeat fees, they will soon save plenty of cash - Rant Over.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah Gorringes - The scene of a nightmare that still haunts me today.

I thought I had a genius idea when stumped for a birthday present for the good lady.

I gave her some cash and an Gorringes brochure.
She gets something she likes for her birthday with the added 'thrill' of the auction.

Bidding day arrives and I'm playing a very dutiful role throughout the viewing.
At this point I should say this was weeks away from MAMIL/Lycra clad culture, genuinely just a few weeks, but there was clearly something on the horizon.

I was being so dutiful although I'd spied a cycling poster/print I didn't investigate further.

Auctioneer steps up.
Everything is an even bigger blur than this greenhorn was expecting.

Then it happen

"Lot 36, 15 antique posters of a cycling theme, how much am I bid?"
'Wait what...'
"£5"
'Did he just say 15 posters'
"£10"
'Blimey they'll be worth a fortune'
"sold for £20, lot 37"...

'I really must bid for those posters' :facepalm:

To this day every time I see a framed antique cycling poster in a shop or cafe, and I see a lot, I think what might have been.

F*%king Troika vase.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Plus the VAT on the commission adds another 5% to purchase price at those rates

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
tenor.gif

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
If you don't like their fees, perhaps you should try one of their competitors:

www.gapples.com

www.gananas.com

Why did I bother clicking on those links?

Two people pre-warned me, yet I still clicked on the links... punish:

FML

I've had a long day at work....I clicked them:facepalm:.
I'll pick the penny up in a minute

I didn't even get as far as the warnings..... Click. punish:

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I looked at the Ewbanks site. The give a guide to the expected sale price of an item. Everything I saw far exceeded the sale price and then you have to add on the best part of 30% + VAT............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here