Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 40 years ago today

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Going to have to post this.
Please believe me when I say this is done with the best of intentions and love in my heart.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
There are various online Joy Division events tonight if anyone's interested: 8-10pm Dave Haslam's curated tribute to Ian Curtis, with contributions from Bernard Sumner and Steve Morris. From 10pm someone's playing a soundtrack inspired by Curtis's favourite music - Kraftwerk, Iggy Pop etc. Peter Hook and the Light are also streaming the 3-hour Joy Division set they played in Macclesfield in 2015, when they performed the entire Joy Division back catalogue. This is available for 24 hours. Just watching it now - excellent so far.

Event links here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/189357192165895/

https://www.facebook.com/events/694738701353590/

https://www.facebook.com/events/241151517323613/

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Love Will Tear Us Apart is one of the greatest tracks ever

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

Watching Ian Curtis performing Transmission on TV was a high light of my teenage years. I played the clip to my daughter a few years ago and she was hooked as well. Last year we saw New Order in Bristol and they did a few Joy Division songs as a tribute to Ian. The film Control is well with watching as well as Stephen Morris’s book Pause Record Play.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Going to have to post this.
Please believe me when I say this is done with the best of intentions and love in my heart.

Very odd. Love Stephen’s drumming though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That is ‘Still’ incredible.

Funny how music affects everyone differently. With a passion for their music, I find songs like that stunning, uplifting, reaching one’s sole.

Whereas JD haters say it’s so depressing. I get where they’re coming from, but following their logic Katrina and the Waves would be THE pinnacle of music.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
A true genius.

Like many, I was inspired by Joy Division in my youth. Saw New Order last year at Victorious and they’ve still got it.

She’s Lost Control is just awesome in so many ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
There was an excellent interview with Peter Hook on Nihal's progamme on 5 Live today.

He was on excellent form full of fond memories and anecdotes. Particularly amusing was his story of when they played a gig in Edinburgh. Hooky was wearing a 'Heart and Soul' T shirt, and a Hibs fan mistook it for a declaration of support for Hearts.

As Hooky said, "He chinned me."

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's my favourite track too. Paul Morley captured JD the best when he said that space was their key element and, primarily, another dearly departed is responsible for that, Martin Hannett.
RIP Ian and Martin.

I must confess shedding a tear when I listened to that track earlier today. The singing is just so full of passionate anguish. The drumming and guitar are brutal. Even the bum note early on seems to add to it's pure raw substance.

Oh, and 'hi' to [MENTION=16592]Crispy Ambulance[/MENTION]. Was listening to his namesakes yesterday on random play on the iPOD.

Edit, also it is 21 years and 10 days since another great of that era Adrian Borland took his life. :(

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I must confess shedding a tear when I listened to that track earlier today. The singing is just so full of passionate anguish. The drumming and guitar are brutal. Even the bum note early on seems to add to it's pure raw substance.

Oh, and 'hi' to [MENTION=16592]Crispy Ambulance[/MENTION]. Was listening to his namesakes yesterday on random play on the iPOD.

Edit, also it is 21 years and 10 days since another great of that era Adrian Borland took his life. :(

I've just listened to that link you posted. Haven't heard Still for decades. As good as the live version is, it doesn't hit the heights of the studio version, for the very reason of space, to repeat an earlier point.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've just listened to that link you posted. Haven't heard Still for decades. As good as the live version is, it doesn't hit the heights of the studio version, for the very reason of space, to repeat an earlier point.

I'll check the studio version later. I know it (and have the CD) of course, but in my mind the live version has a certain poignancy . . . .

Edit - listening now. I note a comment on youtube "Joy Division makes me less depressed and more depressed simultaneously." That's how I felt when I started listening to Velvet Acid Christ. Another tortured soul (Bryan Erikson) who has survived, in part by being a bit of dick for quite a long time.

The studio version is so delicate....vocal not recorded well. Muted. He's in control. Just turned up the volume. It is majestic, but I still prefer the live version. But I am biased. Still is a very special album for me. But thanks for prodding me into listening to the track :cheers:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That is ‘Still’ incredible.

Funny how music affects everyone differently. With a passion for their music, I find songs like that stunning, uplifting, reaching one’s sole.

Whereas JD haters say it’s so depressing. I get where they’re coming from, but following their logic Katrina and the Waves would be THE pinnacle of music.

Totally with you.

I also adore Joy Division and find their music wonderful, personally uplifting, and inspirational. As someone born into a completely different world, in Cuckfield 2 years after Ian took his life, I can’t explain why exactly but their music and story really touch me.

My other half can’t understand this at all, she says she finds it incredibly sad and depressing.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Incredible band.
Closer just gets better and better, the perfect album. back in the mid 2000s I got it on CD, but didn't listen to it for ages, fearing that it might have dated.

It hadn't and never will. A sublime album.

RIP Ian

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here