Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Celtic Champions & Hearts relegated

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
it means something and that is why they are a very well supported club. Amazed at the animosity on here.

We have the same problem in PL except we have 2 clubs ( maybe 3 with chelsea) but we just accept it and play for the highest place we can get to.

If and when the SKY money moves we will have the same problem in England and the quality of football will plummet,

Funnily enough Brighton might do better if the playing field was levelled a bit more.
That is laughable. As has been said, Aberdeen were the last club to break the old firm strangehold, 35 years ago! In that time, NINE different English clubs have won the league: Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Leeds Utd, Man Utd, Blackburn, Man City, Chelsea and Leicester.

Scottish football is crap because it is dominated by two clubs built on bigotry and glory hunting in equal measure. Their idea of an exciting finale is when the gruesome twosome are locked level on points (about 35 points clear of anyone else) and the title goes to whoever can absolutely batter the village team they are playing by the most goals.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Can you imagine anything worse than being a Celtic fan, celebrating every goal and win and league title and cup pick-up like it actually meant anything?

It hasn't always ben the case that Celtic have been the dominant club in Scotland. Rangers had their 9 in the row in the 90's and its not Celtic's fault that Rangers financial collapse happened in recent years.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Supporting Celtic must be like a crap 90s football management computer game. You surely stop playing it after winning the title for the 6th time in a row and realise its boring the tits off you.

Unless someone updates the collective skill level from "Village" to "Semi pro" it will just remain something we can justifiably take the piss out of.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Slotting your 5th goal in against Hamilton for the fourth time of playing them in one season must never get tiring for Celtic fans, the ecstasy in the stands something us PL fans can never hope to experience.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Slotting your 5th goal in against Hamilton for the fourth time of playing them in one season must never get tiring for Celtic fans, the ecstasy in the stands something us PL fans can never hope to experience.
This season, Hamilton had a gate with less than 800 home fans in attendance (against Aberdeen).

What an incredible achievement for Celtic and Rangers to both finish above them every single year.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The Spanish league is quite similar, all be it with a slightly better quality. Juventus and Bayern Munich seem to win their leagues all the time in recent years.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Spanish league is quite similar, all be it with a slightly better quality. Juventus and Bayern Munich seem to win their leagues all the time in recent years.

A modicum of research paints a very different story:

Seven winners of Serie A in the last 35 years
Seven winners of La Liga in the last 35 years
Six winners of the Bundesliga in the last 35 years
Nine winners of the English top flight in the last 35 years
then:
Five in Holland
Ten in France
Seven in Switzerland
Six in Belgium

So none of them anything like Scotland then. Even Portugal with it's famed big 3 has four different champions in that time, twice as many as Scotland.
I can't be arsed to check the Scandinavian countries or places like Greece and Turkey, but I bet they have all had more than a meagre two champions in that time.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Me being ever the conspiracy theorist, do you reckon Hearts have had a bit of cash shoved their way to swallow it so that everyone can draw a line under the season? ???

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Ok I get what the Simster last post is stating. Should Celtic and Rangers be invited to play in England like Cardiff and Swansea?

With TV money they would probably become a rival to the top English clubs with their fan base. If not then I don't see how anything changes north of the border.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
https://www.skysports.com/football/...r-unjust-relegation-from-scottish-premiership

Hearts are considering legal action following the "unjust" decision to relegate them from the Scottish Premiership.

The Edinburgh club will drop into the Championship after the SPFL opted to end to the 2019/20 Premiership season on Monday, with the campaign determined on a points per game average.

Hearts were four points adrift at the foot of the Premiership when the season was suspended on March 13, resulting in their second relegation in six years.

A statement from Hearts suggests they will challenge that decision, while they have also not given up on a restructuring of the league.

The statement read: "We have stated from the outset that we don't believe it is right that any club should be unfairly penalised because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

"It was previously indicated that league reconstruction would not generate enough support to pass a vote between member clubs. In recent days a number of positive talks have been held with both the SPFL and member clubs and this topic is currently being revisited.

"Hearts will shortly submit a member's resolution that we believe is a pragmatic solution to the issues the game currently faces and a way forward that the clubs can unite behind. It is our belief that this resolution, if supported, will provide an opportunity to avoid disproportionately disadvantaging - financially and otherwise - any club.

"This is possibly the final chance for our game to stand together, protect each other and not only survive but flourish in the aftermath of this terrible pandemic. Players from across all leagues have shown a desire for reconstruction and having already received support from some clubs we are hopeful that this resolution can positively progress Scottish football.

"As previously intimated the club has been taking legal advice throughout this process and are continuing to do so. We hope that the resolution being prepared will avoid the need to go down this route. Legal action would be both time consuming and expensive. However the cost to the club of relegation would outweigh these considerations.

"To our supporters, we thank you for showing patience and continuing to back the club. We will continue to fight against what we believe is an unjust outcome."

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Me being ever the conspiracy theorist, do you reckon Hearts have had a bit of cash shoved their way to swallow it so that everyone can draw a line under the season? ???

Nope

They have been told in no uncertain terms, that they can leave the Leagues altogether if they don't like it

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
UEFA
Didn't I see that those money greedy pomps at UEFA dictated that teams have to 'play to qualify' for all Euro games next season. Meaning only leagues that finish will be able to put forward teams. Obviously this may have been changed since the French league was scrapped.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
A modicum of research paints a very different story:

Seven winners of Serie A in the last 35 years
Seven winners of La Liga in the last 35 years
Six winners of the Bundesliga in the last 35 years
Nine winners of the English top flight in the last 35 years
then:
Five in Holland
Ten in France
Seven in Switzerland
Six in Belgium

So none of them anything like Scotland then. Even Portugal with it's famed big 3 has four different champions in that time, twice as many as Scotland.
I can't be arsed to check the Scandinavian countries or places like Greece and Turkey, but I bet they have all had more than a meagre two champions in that time.

Juventus have won the last 8 championships

Bayern the last 7

PSG 7 of the last 8

and in the last 7 seasons in Spain,no team outside of Barcelona or Madrid have finished in the top 3

and I wouldn't mind betting those current trends will continue

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Juventus have won the last 8 championships

Bayern the last 7

PSG 7 of the last 8

and in the last 7 seasons in Spain,no team outside of Barcelona or Madrid have finished in the top 3

and I wouldn't mind betting those current trends will continue
But periods of dominance are nothing new in any league. Granted, Spain is as close to a permanent two horse race as you are likely to find outside Scotland, but the others aren't. PSG, Bayern and Juve are all big clubs who are frequently there or thereabouts in their domestic leagues but their dominance has been challenged regularly down the years.

And none of this really challenges the point I was making, which is that it is always the same TWO clubs in Scotland. Always. For thirty five unbroken years.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That is laughable. As has been said, Aberdeen were the last club to break the old firm strangehold, 35 years ago! In that time, NINE different English clubs have won the league: Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Leeds Utd, Man Utd, Blackburn, Man City, Chelsea and Leicester.

Scottish football is crap because it is dominated by two clubs built on bigotry and glory hunting in equal measure. Their idea of an exciting finale is when the gruesome twosome are locked level on points (about 35 points clear of anyone else) and the title goes to whoever can absolutely batter the village team they are playing by the most goals.

Religious bigotry occurs in some clubs in England though we generally decide to just identify an enemy based on some historic issue.

14 clubs have finished in top 4 in PL since its inception and most clubs have no chance of getting near there. Some of the clubs who did finish top four did so in the early days when there was a bit more equality.

Funnily enough 11 clubs have finished in top 3 in Scotland so not a lot different in the level of diversity. So your right in terms of champions its either Celtic or Rangers but as a competition not a lot of difference.

PL.jpg

spl.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I can't see what the problem is.

The solution is to obviously automatically promote the teams next season that have been relegated this season.

It's staring the football authorities in the face and I'm thinking of applying for a job there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here