Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Question re Netflix

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Nothing earthshattering just curious, does anyone know how they will factor in Netflix into a movie's returns?

My example, The Irishman, according to Wikipedia it had a budget of $200 but a box office return of $8, which on the face of it would make the film one of the biggest box office bombs in Movie history, but clearly it isn't, but how will they calculate income from the streaming site?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Nothing earthshattering just curious, does anyone know how they will factor in Netflix into a movie's returns?

My example, The Irishman, according to Wikipedia it had a budget of $200 but a box office return of $8, which on the face of it would make the film one of the biggest box office bombs in Movie history, but clearly it isn't, but how will they calculate income from the streaming site?

Apparently they don't..
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...etflix-amazon-gross-reporting-1202191357/amp/

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I don't see it as a failure if it only lost $192 or £158 which is only a good day out, when compared to Heaven's gate which lost $144m (adjusted to 2019).
I would instead congratulate the special effects team for getting such great effects for a minimal cost.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I don't see it as a failure if it only lost $192 or £158 which is only a good day out, when compared to Heaven's gate which lost $144m (adjusted to 2019).
I would instead congratulate the special effects team for getting such great effects for a minimal cost.

Forgot the Million :ffsparr:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

They do but not publicly.

Companies like Netflix and Amazon have disrupted the normal way of doing things. They are after subscribers, but viewing figures for one particular programme.

For example, Amazon don't care that the viewers for the Grand Tour are minuscule compared to Top Gear if it attracts people to pay their yearly Amazon delivery fees up front and at a discount.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
The exact ROI on film X, Y or Z is irrelevant as the purpose is to generate content and subscribership. They pay for every piece of content on the website and the barometer of success will be macro rather than micro (although I'm sure with a big release like The Irishman they will have a projected figure for new subscribers which will be some benchmark of success).

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003

To qualify for a Oscar nomination they have to release it at the cinemas. To do this they give it a limited release hence the small return.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here