Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lock Me Up or Let Me Out? Which side of the debate are you?

Lock Me Up or Let Me Out?

• I’m a Lock-Me-Upper

Votes: 31 57.4%
  • I’m a Let-Me-Outter

Votes: 23 42.6%

• Total voters

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The government and the media have finally managed to turn this debate into simple tribal politics which is what the Great British public do best.

So, what are you?

A Lock-Me-Upper or a Let-Me-Outer?

Do you fear the virus or want to take control of it?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The semi lockdown has been eased far too soon, a better approach would of been to give a couple of weeks notice, so employers could prepare

I understand that, but I would hope that there has been a reasonable amount of dialogue going on between employers and employees during the lockdown and that they would be making preparations for a safe return to work once the appropriate adaptations etc. had been made within the workplace.
I am sure not everyone rushed back to work on Wednesday. My son who usually works in London but is presently working from our home received an email this week from his employer outlining the plan for an eventual return to the office. Granted, he is able to WFH, and so is not one of those who were 'encouraged' to return to work, but I am just saying that good employers will not have expected everyone to return to work on Wednesday if the workplace was not ready.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Shield the at risk - which could be done much better and let the rest get on.

There is risk in everything we do.

The damage that is being done will be worse than the virus.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Where's the option for the middle way - which is what's currently being attempted?

C4 News last night featured a report on a 30-something family man, painter and decorator, whose main 'mistake' seems to have been to go to Cheltenham Races for the Gold Cup. He's out of ICU, just taking his first horribly faltering baby steps towards recovery, will take many months of physio and occupational therapy to make him whole again. Really brought it home

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
let people out, £100 fine for coughing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I understand that, but I would hope that there has been a reasonable amount of dialogue going on between employers and employees during the lockdown and that they would be making preparations for a safe return to work once the appropriate adaptations etc. had been made within the workplace.
I am sure not everyone rushed back to work on Wednesday. My son who usually works in London but is presently working from our home received an email this week from his employer outlining the plan for an eventual return to the office. Granted, he is able to WFH, and so is not one of those who were 'encouraged' to return to work, but I am just saying that good employers will not have expected everyone to return to work on Wednesday if the workplace was not ready.

There probably was that dialogue but then Johnson announced the return to work without publishing the guidelines which the employer had to abide by until, I believe, the day before people were due to return. As someone else suggested, they should have allowed a two week lead in time for proper preparations.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The semi lockdown has been eased far too soon, a better approach would of been to give a couple of weeks notice, so employers could prepare

employers have had since 23rd of March to prepare.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

Surely an awful lot of employers were predicting the lockdown easing and so have been making adjustments in recent weeks (mine did). The news last weekend wasn’t a huge shock - we knew it was coming.

Last edited:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Lock me upper, but purely because if my wife catches the virus she almost certainly would die (according to stats 80% chance)...

Exactly the same reason though on a personal level due to age I would probably be at high risk of serious illness or dying too so lock me up, unless, they can come up with a two stage society whereas those who are elderly or at serious risk have a designated shopping day or out day etc when the young fit and healthy are confined to home or work, say a Tuesday or Wednesday, that way we will have some freedom and be shielded from those who can carry the infection without them getting ill etc. This would have to be strictly adhered to and monitored/testing etc. Though I'm sure there would be some from both sides of this divide who would object on personal freedom issues etc.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
There probably was that dialogue but then Johnson announced the return to work without publishing the guidelines which the employer had to abide by until, I believe, the day before people were due to return. As someone else suggested, they should have allowed a two week lead in time for proper preparations.

There were already guidelines published, the ones that supermarkets etc had to abide by. I doubt that the amended ones were that different. How much lead time did supermarkets have?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Where's the option for the middle way - which is what's currently being attempted?

C4 News last night featured a report on a 30-something family man, painter and decorator, whose main 'mistake' seems to have been to go to Cheltenham Races for the Gold Cup. He's out of ICU, just taking his first horribly faltering baby steps towards recovery, will take many months of physio and occupational therapy to make him whole again. Really brought it home

That’s not how these things work.

Red or Blue

Remoaner or Brexiteer

Cyclist or Driver

There is no middle ground in 21st debate.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The government and the media have finally managed to turn this debate into simple tribal politics which is what the Great British public do best.

So, what are you?

A Lock-Me-Upper or a Let-Me-Outer?

Do you fear the virus or want to take control of it?

You can't take control of a virus.

"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear! "

Luckily, the following part of the above Terminator description - "And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!" may not always be true.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Lock me upper.

At risk in law relative with underlying conditions who due to very sad circumstances - she lost her son to cancer yesterday at home - who we will have to come and live with us in the aftermath or vice versa. It’s just not worth taking the chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here