Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which match at The Goldstone?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

Anyone know which match and were you there?

This photo of Paul Clark was posted by the official Albion Twitter account yesterday, it was in reply to a question about the shirt number he wore.
I have a good idea of which game it was, but I'm not 100% sure.

Fantastic photo BTW.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Last home game 1979 v Blackburn?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I remember that pretty well, was it a warm, sunny day?

The reason I think it's the Blackpool match is the crowd was over 33,000, look at the fans in the photo in front of the advertising hoardings, and the terraces are rammed.

I can't remember what the weather was like TBH.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If it was Blackpool 78, I lost my Ravel moccasins in the North Stand and had to walk home sock-footed. We were VERY drunk!

Still not forgiven Soton or Spurs for the stitch up at the Dell. Mullery's speech to the crowd after the Blackpool game was Churchillian in its intensity - i.e. We'll ****ing smash it next year... And they did.

LOVE PAUL CLARK

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The reason I think it's the Blackpool match is the crowd was over 33,000, look at the fans in the photo in front of the advertising hoardings, and the terraces are rammed.

I can't remember what the weather was like TBH.

I spotted that. Also I wasn’t sure if there was mass pitch invasion in 1979, when the hard work was still to come at St James’s Park.

33,000 was the official figure. Often said at the time that Bamber under recorded attendances in those 33,000 gates from 1976 onwards. Fiddling the tax man, giving an additional kitty to entice players south. A sea of rammed blue and white on all the terraces. Loved it as a kid.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Posted this a few weeks ago - but worth another go... The last sentence has to strike a chord with anyone who's old enough to have been at the Blackpool game.

From Paul Clark back in 2009 when the Albion were just about to play Southend (who he made 278 lower-league appearances for):

As for the game Saturday?

"My loyalties are completely divided. The highest point of my playing career was at Brighton and winning up at Newcastle to get promoted to the old First Division. I got married in Brighton and my daughter was born in Brighton so it played a large part not just in my footballer career but in my personal life as well. It still breaks my heart every time I drive past the Goldstone and see a ****** retail park"

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I spotted that. Also I wasn’t sure if there was mass pitch invasion in 1979, when the hard work was still to come at St James’s Park.

33,000 was the official figure. Often said at the time that Bamber under recorded attendances in those 33,000 gates from 1976 onwards. Fiddling the tax man, giving an additional kitty to entice players south. A sea of rammed blue and white on all the terraces. Loved it as a kid.

You mentioned the weather in your previous post, I can't see anyone in short sleeves.

Definitely far too many for the terraces in the photo, I was at the front of the East Terrace for the Blackpool match.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Clarky was immense in the first game at WHL too. Just 19 and recently signed he smashed into a Spurs midfield featuring Glenn Hoddle and Neil McNab. And that game featured the worst football violence I ever seen; biblically bad before, during and after the game.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Didn’t he score against spurs that season we had all the trouble with their supporters getting into the north stand?

This is a very good answer and one of the reasons I asked the question.
He did score against Spurs, and the photo does look like he's celebrating scoring.
Yes also lots of trouble that day, maybe fans are sitting in front of the hoardings because they were moved away from the trouble in the North Stand.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is a very good answer and one of the reasons I asked the question.
He did score against Spurs, and the photo does look like he's celebrating scoring.
Yes also lots of trouble that day, maybe fans are sitting in front of the hoardings because they were moved away from the trouble in the North Stand.

Clark scored at the very beginning of the Spuds match. That was an hour before the pitch invasion, fans wouldn’t have been standing on the ash track on 5 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here