Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well written article as ever.

https://www.private-eye.co.uk/news

You have to admire the way Hislop punches up towards the powerful, rather than down towards the powerless, like, say, Dick Littlepenis.

I'm sure the Mail reading, immigrant hating clique on NSC don't want me to have my views but I'll probably post this over and over again whenever I've been drinking.

Thank ya in advance for all those thumbs up. I'm off to eat a goat.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

You have to admire the way Hislop punches up towards the powerful, rather than down towards the powerless, like, say, Dick Littlepenis.

I'm sure the Mail reading, immigrant hating clique on NSC don't want me to have my views but I'll probably post this over and over again whenever I've been drinking.

A particularly memorable line in that artyicle: This was a particularly generous approach to a company owned by a man who in the late 1990s and early 2000s dissolved so many companies, leaving unpaid tax bills, he acquired the nickname “Alka Seltzer” (see Eye 1492).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good post.

I think my days of giving Boris the benefit of doubt (over Covid - nothing else; he's always been a gold plated thunderchunter in general terms) may be coming to an end. There is little point cranking up the shrieking outrage, yet, though. It is the floating voter that will need to be wooed by Starmer, and Degsy-style red flag waving never appeals.

Mind you, current tory policies have been dragged so far into the eye-watering Corbyn cash-splasher territory, owing to circumstances, that waving the red flag may actually look a bit conservative, going forward :lolol: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Good post.

I think my days of giving Boris the benefit of doubt (over Covid - nothing else; he's always been a gold plated thunderchunter in general terms) may be coming to an end. There is little point cranking up the shrieking outrage, yet, though. It is the floating voter that will need to be wooed by Starmer, and Degsy-style red flag waving never appeals.

Mind you, current tory policies have been dragged so far into the eye-watering Corbyn cash-splasher territory, owing to circumstances, that waving the red flag may actually look a bit conservative, gouing forward :lolol: :thumbsup:
Yes, I think the next election will be about who appears the most competent rather than any ideological battle

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Good article, but point of order (and credit where credit is due).
Unless I have missed something, this article is far more likely to have been written by Richard Brooks than by Ian Hislop

Richard is one of THE great investigative journalists on tax dodging, ex-HMRC inspector and auther of the Great Tax Robbery: https://oneworld-publications.com/the-great-tax-robbery.html

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

You lost me with the opprobrium towards Mail readers. Always makes the poster sound a bit silly with no real point to make. So on that point alone, as requested, :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Unless I have missed something, this article is far more likely to have been written by Richard Brooks than by Ian Hislop

Richard is one of THE great investigative journalists on tax dodging, ex-HMRC inspector and auther of the Great Tax Robbery: https://oneworld-publications.com/the-great-tax-robbery.html

I know, but the post has a double point to it. Someone (who may well count Richard Littlejohn as his favourite writer) HATES Hislop for some reason.

Still, I thought I'd bring something actually interesting to my satire rather than another tiresome trolling piece attacking the poor.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Not read current edition yet but Private Eye Solation has been on top form these past few months.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I know, but the post has a double point to it. Someone (who may well count Richard Littlejohn as his favourite writer) HATES Hislop for some reason.

Still, I thought I'd bring something actually interesting to my satire rather than another tiresome trolling piece attacking the poor.

attacking the poor...? you're getting perilously close to shitting in your own canoe there aren't you....who are these poor .....our own or imported..?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
attacking the poor...? you're getting perilously close to shitting in your own canoe there aren't you....who are these poor .....our own or imported..?

Do you post STOP. Using TELEX STOP. Or Telegraph STOP?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

In the case of the article Beach Seagull loves it's nurses.

"There is even a case for giving some hospital staff a modest pay rise when this is all over. But I stress the word some. "

(I'd stress the word "modest" myself....)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's a sporadic Private Eye podcast, one episode covers this corruption in great detail.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Tory party donor in tax evasion shocker. Not even a shock any more is it?

And whilst the creeping toadies at HMRC were giving this crook time to pay his taxes, they were taking aggressive action against small independent businesses owing a pitifully small amount of tax / VAT by comparison.

Surely nobody can really be surprised at the Tories protecting and giving favourable treatment to their own.

And Hislop is a genius. love the fella

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tory party donor in tax evasion shocker. Not even a shock any more is it?

And whilst the creeping toadies at HMRC were giving this crook time to pay his taxes, they were taking aggressive action against small independent businesses owing a pitifully small amount of tax / VAT by comparison.

Surely nobody can really be surprised at the Tories protecting and giving favourable treatment to their own.

And Hislop is a genius. love the fella

Me too. When Ingrams retired and Cook died I thought the Eye was done for. But Cook's widow was good as gold, and Hislop is perfect. He combines a moral authority with fairness and judgement, targeting the shitbiscuits of the UK and elsewhere with measured wit. Never bulling, never biased, never preachy, never pretentious, never ruffled. Left and right alike are targeted on merit without any need for point tallies. Perfect for HIGNFY too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Me too. When Ingrams retired and Cook died I thought the Eye was done for. But Cook's widow was good as gold, and Hislop is perfect. He combines a moral authority with fairness and judgement, targeting the shitbiscuits of the UK and elsewhere with measured wit. Never bulling, never biased, never preachy, never pretentious, never ruffled. Left and right alike are targeted on merit without any need for point tallies. Perfect for HIGNFY too.

Yes, yes but he's a bit CLEVER isn't he? All those long words like "political" not to mention you have to have left your front room to get some of the gags. It's shameless London elitism, that's what it is. I bet he's been on Radio 4 with those other BBC benders.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I always enjoy Private Eye, if it wasn't for them I fear there would be no one who would shine a light in to the darkest, most grimy corners of Tory corruption. Certainly not the Tory Poodle press that's for sure..

Strange how many of the " Crusading" British press, who love to champion our ideals and our country, aren't kicking and screaming for the Russia Report to be published?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Yes, good point on Brooks.
On a slightly different note, congrats to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] for being ever so popular. I'm not sure I've seen an OP attracting 46 thumbs up before, but there might be some OP to threads that have found more favour. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] might know an answer to this particular question.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
In the case of the article Beach Seagull loves it's nurses.

"There is even a case for giving some hospital staff a modest pay rise when this is all over. But I stress the word some. "

(I'd stress the word "modest" myself....)

ok sorry , i agree....won't happen though ....politicians will regale themselves with loads more credibility for navigating the public through this devastating pandemic, all those extra hours working out social distancing laws will result in splendid pay rises for our substandard bureaucrats, the nurses and doctors can whistle............utter , utter codswallop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here