Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sweden’s Coronovirus strategy will soon be the worlds

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well, we are as strict as anyone these days and it apparently makes no difference whatsoever. A lot of countries that has taken very strong measures, like Austria and Belgium, are also suffering. Relaxed rules like in the spring = poor result, harsh rules like no = poor result. I hope some of the experts on resolving pandemics, like Weststander, could provide the solution what to do exactly.

The situations with the nurses is a tragedy though. Thousands of nurses quitting. On this issue the solutions would have been a lot more obvious: give them better compensation for their hard work and overtime. In Sweden its different from region to region. Some regions are giving the nurses an extra £100 in bonus, some around £500, none of it nearly enough to provide motivation to work through these hard times. Not solving the pandemic is one thing, I cant blame anyone for that as nothing is working, but not giving the nurses the money and appreciation they deserve is a scandal.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well, we are as strict as anyone these days and it apparently makes no difference whatsoever. A lot of countries that has taken very strong measures, like Austria and Belgium, are also suffering. Relaxed rules like in the spring = poor result, harsh rules like no = poor result. I hope some of the experts on resolving pandemics, like Weststander, could provide the solution what to do exactly.

The situations with the nurses is a tragedy though. Thousands of nurses quitting. On this issue the solutions would have been a lot more obvious: give them better compensation for their hard work and overtime. In Sweden its different from region to region. Some regions are giving the nurses an extra £100 in bonus, some around £500, none of it nearly enough to provide motivation to work through these hard times. Not solving the pandemic is one thing, I cant blame anyone for that as nothing is working, but not giving the nurses the money and appreciation they deserve is a scandal.

It will be interesting to see why it went wrong in places such as Austria and Belgium.

We spend time in Austria each year and follow their situation. In the summer/autumn there was big relaxation of rules/laws in the same way as there was in Italy and UK for example. Their CV19 metrics started climbing again well before the kids went back to school.

Belgium is a basket case, the CV19 (per capita) capital of Europe. Interesting article here:
https://www.ft.com/content/fb00d2ff-a56b-4327-9dfd-695dc4c741f7
The country is beset by the historic rivalry between the Flemish and Walloons. The Walloons hell bent on resisting laws they see as from the Flemish.

As in Wales, arrogance in holding gatherings behind closed doors may prove to be the decisive factor.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It’s not consistent in the UK either - Scotland are paying an extra £500 to front line staff, England isn’t......

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm not an expert on pandemics, but the measures seem pretty obvious:
-- develop a highly reactive track and trace system
-- reduce human contact to a bare minimum, especially indoors and during the winter (warmer temperatures seem to reduce transmission)
-- wear masks
-- all of this will buy time until populations can be vaccinated, unless you want to go for an alternative herd immunity strategy

This is what WHO and the leading epidemiologists have been saying since the start of the year.
The thing to keep in mind is that the virus spreads rapidly, yet reducing the number infected takes place at a much slower pace. I suspect this might explain why the more recent restrictions in Sweden are yet to prove effective, but haven't been following the Swedish case for a while.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If a vaccine is 6-12 months away or worse then they will almost certainly be in better shape than any other country in the western world. It's very hard to see how the likes of NZ and Australia are going to not end up ravaged long term as you cant hide forever.

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/europe/2020/12/sweden-s-covid-19-failures-have-exposed-myths-lockdown-sceptics

Screenshot_2020-12-22 Free to read Coronavirus tracked has the epidemic peaked near you .png

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Yes. We changed from the herd immunity stuff to a strategy very similar to everyones else and its still going shit. How is this proof that the herd immunity thing was any more of a failure than the current lockdown-esque strategy? If anything it proves it really doesnt matter what you do, this virus dont give a shit about national strategies.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Yes. We changed from the herd immunity stuff to a strategy very similar to everyones else and its still going shit. How is this proof that the herd immunity thing was any more of a failure than the current lockdown-esque strategy? If anything it proves it really doesnt matter what you do, this virus dont give a shit about national strategies.

As a resident of Sweden I am sure you have plenty to say on this subject (and frankly any other subject). However if you re-read my post, I am replying to a specific point and it has little or no relevance to your argument.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As a resident of Sweden I am sure you have plenty to say on this subject (and frankly any other subject). However if you re-read my post, I am replying to a specific point and it has little or no relevance to your argument.

The article is factually wrong. England is not a more urbanised country than Sweden is, which is wrong.

It also uses Bozza's favorite argument, "population density", without taking into account that massive parts of Sweden are simply not populated. Taking Norrland into the equation is like taking British Antarctica into the equation and saying "the UK is one of the least densly populated areas in the world".

In fact, Stockholm and Malmö is not that far from London when it comes to population density, and two of the most 50 dense cities in the European Union.

As for the economic aspect, the writer notes that Sweden did worse than the neighbours. That is true. But there is a significant difference the writer either fails to research properly or just dont think fits into his agenda: Denmark (pharmaceuticals and food) and Norway (oil) export things you need in a pandemic. Sweden (timber and iron ore) export things you need when you are in a economic boom.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The article is factually wrong. England is not a more urbanised country than Sweden is, which is wrong.

It also uses Bozza's favorite argument, "population density", without taking into account that massive parts of Sweden are simply not populated. Taking Norrland into the equation is like taking British Antarctica into the equation and saying "the UK is one of the least densly populated areas in the world".

In fact, Stockholm and Malmö is not that far from London when it comes to population density, and two of the most 50 dense cities in the European Union.

As for the economic aspect, the writer notes that Sweden did worse than the neighbours. That is true. But there is a significant difference the writer either fails to research properly or just dont think fits into his agenda: Denmark (pharmaceuticals and food) and Norway (oil) export things you need in a pandemic. Sweden (timber and iron ore) export things you need when you are in a economic boom.

This is absolute nonsense. Having small highly concentrated areas does not equate to urban. I have been to Stockholm, Gothenberg and Anderstorp and caught the train from Gothenberg to Copenhagen via Malmo. You live in one of the most sparsely populated countries in Europe, even if you ignore the North.

Stockholm is smaller than Birmingham and that is before you realise that Birmingham is just one part of an urban population which quickly reaches 3 million people

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is absolute nonsense. Having small highly concentrated areas does not equate to urban. I have been to Stockholm, Gothenberg and Anderstorp and caught the train from Gothenberg to Copenhagen via Malmo. You live in one of the most sparsely populated countries in Europe, even if you ignore the North.

Stockholm is smaller than Birmingham and that is before you realise that Birmingham is just one part of an urban population which quickly reaches 3 million people

urbdens.jpg

Population size has nothing to do with urbanisation or population density. If 10 people live on 10 sqm its the same density as 100 people living on 100 sqm.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here