Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Another Argus classic

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I see the Argus has managed to print a page from a completely different paper (the Bradford Telegraph and Argus) in its sports section today. Easy to see how the confusion happened in the understaffed Newsquest HQ in Weymouth or wherever, I suppose - it's got a picture of Glenn Murray on it, and well, the two papers have similar names. But you'd have thought someone might have noticed that Brian Owen's story about Glenn criticising the plans for an early Premier League return now appears on both sides of the spread.

ARGUS2.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Argus are not a local paper anymore. Awful rag.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I see the Argus has managed to print a page from a completely different paper (the Bradford Telegraph and Argus) in its sports section today. Easy to see how the confusion happened in the understaffed Newsquest HQ in Weymouth or wherever, I suppose - it's got a picture of Glenn Murray on it, and well, the two papers have similar names. But you'd have thought someone might have noticed that Brian Owen's story about Glenn criticising the plans for an early Premier League return now appears on both sides of the spread.

View attachment 123638

I noticed that in the e-version, but just assumed it was deliberate.

Are you certain it wasn't?

Page number is correct, and I'm sure it has happened before in recent weeks.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Don't talk to me about the Arsgas. Too many run ins in the past whilst I was working. I hope you didn't pay for that!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Genius! They really are a shambles these days. Oh for the days of proof readers.

As a science journal editor I confess to having on occasion suggested to authors that that hadn't done a good job with their poofreading. Never ever got any comeback. *****.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The lack of a local newspaper is indeed lamentable however it's a sign of modern life as everything goes on line, however the poorly researched and written reporting is truly awful.

Last week the Argus had a breaking news report regarding two explosive devices found in the City in diffrent locations at the same time! I thought this could be big but the reporting just petered out, no conclusion even in the coming days leaving the reader none the wiser as to what or if there were two devices were they linked was the story even factual?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have to congratulate NSC. On other boards I can imagine there would be a queue of dinlows eager to point out I'd spelled 'proofreading' wrong :lolol:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It's a catch 22 situation. No one buys newspapers anymore and so the Argus has no income. No income means it just cant support itself and goes downhill. This in turn means less readers and so the circle continues. Should it close there will be an outcry from locals saying it should have done this or that, meanwhile whilst it is still here it gets nothing but abuse.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It's a catch 22 situation. No one buys newspapers anymore and so the Argus has no income. No income means it just cant support itself and goes downhill. This in turn means less readers and so the circle continues. Should it close there will be an outcry from locals saying it should have done this or that, meanwhile whilst it is still here it gets nothing but abuse.

Fewer! :smile:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

It, like the Daily National papers,Local TV News, and to an extent, National TV News programs, are all a victim of the good old interweb and 24 Hour News on TV. Anything that is newsworthy is all over the internet almost as it happens. Printed copy is out of date before its even printed, let alone distributed. With rolling 24 hour news programs there is a constant demand for "live reports from the scene" every 15 mins. An in-depth report now runs for less than 5 mins and barely scratches the surface of a story. The loss of decent journalism in papers and TV has occurred at the same time as the rise of the internet, digital tv and the like. Cause and effect?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

You're right, of course. I still buy it because I believe in local papers (and national ones) but I reserve the right to take the p*ss when they mess up entertainingly. Printing their own picture of the day upside-down, for example.

PICOFDAY2.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here