Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Maria Caulfield, Lewes MP

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
She has under a 2.5K majority, over 4.7K voted Labour and Green.

26,820 voted for her, cannot find the amount of registered voters in Lewes Constituency

She is a member of the hard line ERG. you gets what you vote for or what you didn't tactically vote for.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Come back Maria all is forgiven!!

Capture.JPG

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The original tweeter she reposted, also regularly posts anti-Islam messages and far-right content.

She does not associate with the best people on line, amazing someone in her position even wants to use far right fake news in her communications.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The original tweeter she reposted, also regularly posts anti-Islam messages and far-right content.

She does not associate with the best people on line, amazing someone in her position even wants to use far right fake news in her communications.

Certainly a major misjudgement by her, surely we expect better from Tory's ?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

I don't think she realises quite how badly she comes across on Twitter. Some of her followers would have been quite at home in Nazi Germany, which isn't necessarily her fault ... but she allows some pretty fascist-themed views to stay on the Twitter feed while other stuff gets deleted.

I don't vote Tory, and I wish we didn't have a Tory MP in Lewes. I also voted Remain. I accept that I've been outvoted on both scores, and there's a national crisis to deal with and we might as well get behind our elected representatives to make the best of things. But Maria's a difficult person to learn to like, I'm afraid – at least based on the views she espouses.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Downing Street has declined to condemn the actions of Conservative MPs, including a minister, who shared a video from a far-right Twitter account that falsely claimed Sir Keir Starmer obstructed the prosecution of grooming gang members when he led the Crown Prosecution Service.

Asked if the MPs, including Nadine Dorries, a health minister, should not have shared the misleading 22-second clip, Boris Johnson’s spokesman said he had no comment.

The video was shared by Dorries as well as the Telford MP, Lucy Allan, and Maria Caulfield, who represents Lewes. All commented at what the video purported to show, with Dorries calling it “revealing”.

They have all now deleted their tweets. Johnson’s spokesman declined to say whether they had been ordered to do so, or whether Dorries might have breached the ministerial code in sharing the video.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I don't think she realises quite how badly she comes across on Twitter. Some of her followers would have been quite at home in Nazi Germany, which isn't necessarily her fault ... but she allows some pretty fascist-themed views to stay on the Twitter feed while other stuff gets deleted.

I don't vote Tory, and I wish we didn't have a Tory MP in Lewes. I also voted Remain. I accept that I've been outvoted on both scores, and there's a national crisis to deal with and we might as well get behind our elected representatives to make the best of things. But Maria's a difficult person to learn to like, I'm afraid – at least based on the views she espouses.

I'm actually quite surprised Lewes has a Tory MP, as it's usually regarded as such a liberal and progressive town. I guess it's all the villages in the surrounding area.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm actually quite surprised Lewes has a Tory MP, as it's usually regarded as such a liberal and progressive town. I guess it's all the villages in the surrounding area.

Seaford, Newhaven and Polegate are also in the constituency. Lewes itself is only a minority element of the constituency.

Plus all the villages as you say.

Norman Baker held the constituency for the Lib Dems, in his own admission, rather against the odds. It's a naturally Tory-leaning area though as someone who lives here I don't encounter many people with quite the same hard-right opinions as our MP.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Seaford, Newhaven and Polegate are also in the constituency. Lewes itself is only a minority element of the constituency.

Plus all the villages as you say.

Norman Baker held the constituency for the Lib Dems, in his own admission, rather against the odds. It's a naturally Tory-leaning area though as someone who lives here I don't encounter many people with quite the same hard-right opinions as our MP.

Newhaven has a Libdem council. Seaford is definitely Tory.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Quote from Tory HQ -These tweets have now rightly been deleted. The MPs involved have been spoken to by the whips’ office and reminded of their responsibility to check the validity of information before they post on social media sites.

Caulfield IS a government whip herself, which makes this a mockery.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
She has under a 2.5K majority, over 4.7K voted Labour and Green.

26,820 voted for her, cannot find the amount of registered voters in Lewes Constituency

She is a member of the hard line ERG. you gets what you vote for or what you didn't tactically vote for.

That was reduced from a 5K majority previously. She benefited originally from getting rid of Norman Baker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here