Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] How on earth in anyone's world is this worth only 16 months ?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sentencing in this country is a complete and utter joke. Needs a total overhaul. I was going to guess that he'd do 5 months and out on a tag. It said 7 but unless that's been given as a minimum sentence then he'll be out before then. Meanwhile there are thousands in prison for minor drug crimes, pissing off a police officer or financial crimes where there was no crime. A very sad state of affairs.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Finally, your "thousands in prison for minor drug crimes" is nonsense. Even possession of Class A's very rarely results in jail sentences - only notorious repeat offenders and dealers are in jail for drug crimes.

That simply isn't true. Depends what you class as a "dealer". The law is shite on this.

Oh and did I "ask for harsher sentences"? No. I asked for a complete overhaul of sentencing because at the moment it makes zero sense.

Great points apart from that. As you were.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Few points.

Even IF he does 7 months on good behaviour, 7 months is still a hell of a long time in prison. We believe in rehabilitation in this country, something to be proud of, and evidence shows that longer sentences often results in an increased likelihood in reoffending.

Secondly, I agree some of our laws need modernising, but although despicable this was largely a non-violent crime. I'm not sure what kind of sentencing people expect. 16 months when confessing guilty is a lot more than what many get for similar or sometimes worse cases of robbery.

Finally, your "thousands in prison for minor drug crimes" is nonsense. Even possession of Class A's very rarely results in jail sentences - only notorious repeat offenders and dealers are in jail for drug crimes.

People really need to be careful what they wish for when it comes to desiring harsher laws. Although it can be satisfying seeing crimes being punished harshly, it is not for the greater good.

It was a handbag snatch. For the lawyers and so on looking at this, he did not pull her over, but the fact she did not let go meant she fell over. He pleaded guilty and maybe he was genuinely repentant. I don't know. Maybe it was a spur of the moment unpremeditated thing, none of which makes it any better. If he had been lying in wait for her with a crowbar, it might be different.

And the fact that Covid19 meant her daughter could not give her a hug in hospital is not the bloke's fault.

Yes, he is a scumbag and a low-life, locking him up and throwing away the key is not the answer.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Would it be inappropriate to suggest a public flogging instead of any prison sentence?

I'd be quietly confident that the probability of a repeat offence would be lower?

But maybe a bit too old fashioned for some?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Let's hope his fame precedes him in prison and some of his peers are waiting to bid him welcome.

(That means beat him up).

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Few points.

Even IF he does 7 months on good behaviour, 7 months is still a hell of a long time in prison. We believe in rehabilitation in this country, something to be proud of, and evidence shows that longer sentences often results in an increased likelihood in reoffending.

Secondly, I agree some of our laws need modernising, but although despicable this was largely a non-violent crime. I'm not sure what kind of sentencing people expect. 16 months when confessing guilty is a lot more than what many get for similar or sometimes worse cases of robbery.

People really need to be careful what they wish for when it comes to desiring harsher laws. Although it can be satisfying seeing crimes being punished harshly, it is not for the greater good.
Dumping them out at sea is surely the cheapest and most efficient way?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Few points.

People really need to be careful what they wish for when it comes to desiring harsher laws. Although it can be satisfying seeing crimes being punished harshly, it is not for the greater good.[/QUOTE

Who believes in rehabilitation? Successive governments, yes, but not the majority of the population. Rehabilitation doesn't work - we are one of the 10 countries with the highest rehabilitation rates in the world. I agree that harsh sentences don't seem to act as a deterrent either. So I say forget rehabilitation, just lock em up to keep me and mine safe. And don't give 'em any creature comforts. Make them suffer like the ones they cause suffering to.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It was a handbag snatch. For the lawyers and so on looking at this, he did not pull her over, but the fact she did not let go meant she fell over. He pleaded guilty and maybe he was genuinely repentant. I don't know. Maybe it was a spur of the moment unpremeditated thing, none of which makes it any better. If he had been lying in wait for her with a crowbar, it might be different.

And the fact that Covid19 meant her daughter could not give her a hug in hospital is not the bloke's fault.

Yes, he is a scumbag and a low-life, locking him up and throwing away the key is not the answer.

Yep this, not to mention the cost of it.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
A largely 'non violent' crime!
It was her own fault she didn't let go of the handbag! I've read some bollox on this forum over the years but this is a new low.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Let's hope his fame precedes him in prison and some of his peers are waiting to bid him welcome.

(That means beat him up).

Oh of course getting a hiding from the morally sound folk who abide in Her Majesty’s Prisons. I never get that point.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Oh of course getting a hiding from the morally sound folk who abide in Her Majesty’s Prisons. I never get that point.

They’re not morally sound but some crimes are deemed worthy of a prison beating. It might be done by people who are scumbags, but it’s better than nothing.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
A largely 'non violent' crime!
It was her own fault she didn't let go of the handbag! I've read some bollox on this forum over the years but this is a new low.

This. Anyone handling an old person like that is in danger of giving them serious injuries. She was lucky not to break a pelvis or leg. Her chances of surviving an injury like that are lower than for most, especially in the current environment. Overall though it’s something you just don’t do or think of doing. It’s disgusting. Whatever the motive.
Personally I think he should have got at least a year inside for that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The prison service is in crisis due to privatisation and cut backs. The prisons are full, the probation service was messed up by attempted privatisation, which all has a knock on effect on sentencing.
Judges and magistrates can only follow sentencing guidelines which direct lighter sentences for guilty pleas.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They’re not morally sound but some crimes are deemed worthy of a prison beating. It might be done by people who are scumbags, but it’s better than nothing.

I don’t really want shitheads in prison dealing out punishments on behalf of me or any certain type of the populace. Unless of course you think they deserve that right........ to dish out their own justice. Like they of all people have earnt that privilege RossyG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here