Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Glenn on Sky Sports this morning

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Glenn Murray on Sky puts Football into perspective bringing back “unnecessary sport when people are dying all around us ... I just can’t understand why after just sort of loosening the lockdown why we are in such a rush to get it back. Why can’t we just wait a month?”

Thought Glenn sounded sensible and articulate. A credit to the club .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He’ll no doubt be accused by some of trying to kill football for cynical self-interest.

Yes - a professional footballer probably with only 1 season left in him is wishing the final bits of his career away :dunce:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Glenn Murray on Sky puts Football into perspective bringing back “unnecessary sport when people are dying all around us ... I just can’t understand why after just sort of loosening the lockdown why we are in such a rush to get it back. Why can’t we just wait a month?”

Or even two

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree, but when has common sense or logic ever stopped some people adding two and two and making five?

Indeed. "We all know why Murray doesn't want a restart - Brighton would be relegated". :facepalm:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

All the PL clubs want to get back playing as soon as possible, despite the serious concerns of some players like our Glenn. He has a good point. Why aren't the clubs listening to the players?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Predictable response....sample :

Leeds fan

[tweet]1260887175996018688[/tweet]

Wolves Fan

[tweet]1260884225856847872[/tweet]

Man U fan

[tweet]1260883887896608769[/tweet]

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Let's be honest, anything any Albion player, coach or executive says is going to be seen as self-interested by fans of rival clubs and an example of clear common sense by us.

But Glenn's point that it would be unfair for Premier League clubs to be relegated after completing their fixtures while Championship clubs could be promoted by doing nothing is surely a good one. If (IF ...) Leeds deserve to go up because they are in an automatic promotion place now then we certainly deserve to stay up because we're not in the bottom three.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think a simple "No comment, because my words will be twisted" should now be mandatory for everyone connected to bhafc when asked about football being restarted.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Indeed. "We all know why Murray doesn't want a restart - Brighton would be relegated". :facepalm:

Exactly. It doesn't matter how logical, well-presented or reasonable anything the club says is any more. A large section of the media and other clubs' supporters just want to paint it as "you just don't want to get relegated" regardless. It's like trying to engage with Tyrone Biggums on the Trump thread – unrelentingly pointless.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Sorry, but I have little time for Glenn’s position. The risk to fit persons between the ages of 18 and 38 is almost zero. The amount of protection being offered for them is clearly OTT. They will be constantly tested and will have to shield vulnerable members if their family/entourage just like the rest of us. Most of us have lost salary for not being able to work with many furloughed. Many if us are forced to work in riskier positions right now. Doctors, emergency services, airports etc. Football is a job for players. Their choice should be do your job with all the protections being offered, which are not offered to the rest of us, or risk moving to the govt furlough programme. Which do you think they will choose?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I quite agree with the players who are coming out and saying they don't think it's safe or justifiable to start playing football again yet. If enough of them stand up and say 'No' then all the current daft plans and wheezes will have to be dropped -as they should have been in the first place.

I do hope though, that they realise that saying no for their safety and their families should also be accompanied by an agreement to be furloughed, as their jobs, at the present, basically just do not exist. They can't work from home, and social distancing is not possible at work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here