Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Last pro game in England to be played behind closed doors...

Marmaduke

SE London Seagull
Apr 28, 2010
SE London
Can someone settle an arguement please!
I still believe it's the Albion v York in 96.
Sorry if I missed another thread.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World

That wasn't behind closed doors! It was on a weekday morning. I was there.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Argument settled :lolol: I believe it was Villa v Someone in a European cup game due to previous crowd trouble might be wrong though.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I thought there was an FA Cup match 20 odd years ago that was played behind closed doors, and there was a shock involved too. Could be the fog of memory.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Argument settled :lolol: I believe it was Villa v Someone in a European cup game due to previous crowd trouble might be wrong though.

And me. What a strange game that was.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
That wasn't behind closed doors! It was on a weekday morning. I was there.

Me too. Like 11am on a Thursday or something. Odd atmosphere.

I can't remember the ins and outs of it now, but the result was meaningful to another club too – like they needed York to win to stay up themselves, or something like that. There were some of their fans in the North alongside the Albion few.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Er sorry, I was there. And it is a great example of why games should not be behind closed doors.

Remember what those home games of the last half of that season were like. Crowd right on the home side's back, cheering every free kick won, or throw in even. It must have been very intimidating for any visiting team.

York were fighting relegation with Carlisle I think and had they played the game that was abandoned rather the revised one when frankly our team wasn't up for it, there could well have been a very different result. Felt sorry for Carlisle at the time.

It just isn't football without a crowd (accepting that there was a few hundred of us there).

ps) as a side point, thank you to my work colleague who allowed me to skip work for a couple of hours to go and covered me with a frankly ridiculous story involving sickness and the shits.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Er sorry, I was there. And it is a great example of why games should not be behind closed doors.

Remember what those home games of the last half of that season were like. Crowd right on the home side's back, cheering every free kick won, or throw in even. It must have been very intimidating for any visiting team.

York were fighting relegation with Carlisle I think and had they played the game that was abandoned rather the revised one when frankly our team wasn't up for it, there could well have been a very different result. Felt sorry for Carlisle at the time.

It just isn't football without a crowd (accepting that there was a few hundred of us there).

ps) as a side point, thank you to my work colleague who allowed me to skip work for a couple of hours to go and covered me with a frankly ridiculous story involving sickness and the shits.

You’ve probably made your point in your previous 100 posts over football behind closed doors :whistle:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Yes, Carlisle chairman Michael Knighton was in the West Stand to see his club relegated by York's win. And he was pretty peeved about the circumstances. There were inevitable threats of legal action, although who against rather escaped me at the time.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

I thought we were quite supportive really.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Yes, Carlisle chairman Michael Knighton was in the West Stand to see his club relegated by York's win. And he was pretty peeved about the circumstances. There were inevitable threats of legal action, although who against rather escaped me at the time.

Given Knighton's eccentricity and history of talking nonsense, any threat of legal action from him would probably be met with a shrug of the shoulders and 'meh.'

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Burton v Leicester, 1985, could be a contender?

Bloody Stewart Mell Burton's Striker knocked us out the round before ,Colin :wanker: was Burton manager . TBF Burton brought over 2000 to Aldershot that day ,bolstered by a few Derby . It was a proper 80's cup tie. A couple of years later Mell would score Scarboroughs 1st league goal v Wolves .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here