Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Had a bike stolen recently?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Brighton and Hove Police may have it...

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 14.57.53.png

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Had my Scott Aspect 10 nicked in 2018 - Brighton Police were quite helpful.

I managed to find it advertised on Gumtree for £280 in Tower Hamlets - phone this number...

Knew it was mine as it had the same crudcatcher and Wolfi's Bike Shop, Dubai sticker on it. Easy I thought - just phone up pretending to be a prospective purchaser and seize what's rightfully mine - I could prove it as I had all the papers and the frame security stamped - either I could do the collection or the police could. Opted for the latter which was the wrong decision. An arrest made. Guy released 'under investigation'. No bike. Brighton Police quite apologetic that their London counterparts couldn't retrieve it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I managed to find it advertised on Gumtree for £280 in Tower Hamlets - phone this number...

Knew it was mine as it had the same crudcatcher and Wolfi's Bike Shop, Dubai sticker on it. Easy I thought - just phone up pretending to be a prospective purchaser and seize what's rightfully mine - I could prove it as I had all the papers and the frame security stamped - either I could do the collection or the police could. Opted for the latter which was the wrong decision. An arrest made. Guy released 'under investigation'. No bike. Brighton Police quite apologetic that their London counterparts couldn't retrieve it.

Did you get any explanation to what did happen to your bike?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
When I reported my BMX stolen about 12 years ago at the police station, the conversation went:

"Here is a card saying you've reported it stolen, that should work for your insurance".

"Ah I don't think it's insured".

"Oh. Why are you here then?".

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When I reported my BMX stolen about 12 years ago at the police station, the conversation went:

"Here is a card saying you've reported it stolen, that should work for your insurance".

Unbelievable, that's what you really wanted to hear FFS.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Did you get any explanation to what did happen to your bike?

No. It sort of felt like Brighton Police weren't too sure how the Met failed to recover it but weren't going to press them on it.

It looked like a professional outfit punting all sort of nicked bikes. I did think about going up there and reclaiming the bike myself but there's a risk the vendor wouldn't have handed it over without kicking off. So close yet so far!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No. It sort of felt like Brighton Police weren't too sure how the Met failed to recover it but weren't going to press them on it.

It looked like a professional outfit punting all sort of nicked bikes. I did think about going up there and reclaiming the bike myself but there's a risk the vendor wouldn't have handed it over without kicking off. So close yet so far!

You probably made the correct decision not to go there, even though you didn't recover your bike.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Tip. Don't ever leave one outside Portslade Station.

I've had two nicked from there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

That's an absolute disgrace, and makes my piss boil.

I was recounting on here recently how I had to go to the Old Bailey twice because the station officer here in Faversham 'forgot' to forward some paperwork in good time when I was done for speeding. He was put back on the beat.

When I put someting on a plate for someone.....

Still, I am spending today trying to unravel some blind marking of student work that isn't supposed to be blind marked, merely moderated, and if I can't see the assessment how the **** can I moderate it (online system set up wrong - again)? Sometime you may as well tell the cat to **** the dog; it ain't ever going to happen. Innit.

I hope a few people get their bikes back though - that was good policework (was reading it on the online Argus yesterday) :cheers:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I had one nicked from where I work with the theft all lovingly captured on CCTV. I spent an hour filling out forms down the local nick, but they didn't even ask to see the vid. Bloody station officer made dithering about with bits of paper look like one of those martial arts practiced by 110 year old Japanese women. Fukushitgo?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think bike theft is incredibly low priority for the Police these days. Recently noted there are a good 4-5 bikes dumped in the local back alleys near my house, none are locked and they are in one piece, I was going to ring the cops and try to meet up with a PCSO and point them out so they could be re-united with their owners.... then I thought I could not seem them thrashing their way through 4' height nettles to get to them and I expect the owners have moved on to other bikes anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here