Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PMQ - Boris v Starmer - Spider And The Fly

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Starmer is very impressive.

It shows how little Johnson has to say and how he can't just lie his way through it. He's totally lose without the braying of the tossers in the back-benches who just try and drown out everyone else. He's more than met his match here. No style, no substance and it's all too easy for Starmer.

You love to see it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Rory Stewart - clever, but just a little too weird!

**** me. Boris Alexander De Pfeffel Johnson is Prime Minister. A man who intentionally messes his hair up before being on camera, and waffles in latin for no discernible reason.

And Rory Stewart is the "weird one.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Starmer is very impressive.

It shows how little Johnson has to say and how he can't just lie his way through it. He's totally lose without the braying of the tossers in the back-benches who just try and drown out everyone else. He's more than met his match here. No style, no substance and it's all too easy for Starmer.

You love to see it.

If he couldn't look good at the moment, there'd be no hope for Starmer. He can't miss.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This is probably going to be the easiest time for Starmer given that the media has decided to turn on Johnson and his advisers, and Labour’s strategy is to criticise rather than come up with solutions. That’s fair enough at the moment because the Govt needs to be challenged.

Starmer’s popularity is gaining momentum by not doing anything wrong. The real test will come when he has to explain how his policies will work.

Boris is getting a kick in from all angles. Is it justified? Depends if you believe the Guardian or the Telegraph, and his Covid advisers.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If he couldn't look good at the moment, there'd be no hope for Starmer. He can't miss.

Watched the parliamentary debate on monday. O Jeremy Corbyn skyped in or wharever. All thud and blunder, looked and sounded every inch the mousey political pipsqueak he always was. As opposed to Starmer who looks and sounds like what he is: a serious heavyweight politician

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Johnson as expected gets quizzed on the missing slide comparing death rates with other countries, and says now is not the time to compare performance with other countries. Then when answering a question from Ian Blackford on testing, says that the UK is ahead of other countries.

Probably only the Johnson faithful who don't appreciate the irony.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They've already looked at Rory Stewart - clever, but just a little too weird!

He's also no longer a member of the Conservative party

Watching Johnson v Starmer is like a watching a bloodsport. I can't see Johnson putting up with too many of these - he'll have some carefully arranged conferences or some strategic illnesses before long,

The thing about Starmer is that he's not just a QC but he's one of the best there is - DPP in his 30s shows that - I can't imagine many other Conservatives fancy going against him either.

Grieve or Gauke may have been decent ... but they're no longer members of the Conservative party either

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But Johnson is the greatest orator of our generation.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove

Watching Johnson v Starmer is like a watching a bloodsport. I can't see Johnson putting up with too many of these - he'll have some carefully arranged conferences or some strategic illnesses before long,

The thing about Starmer is that he's not just a QC but he's one of the best there is - DPP in his 30s shows that - I can't imagine many other Conservatives fancy going against him either.

Grieve or Gauke may have been decent ... but they're no longer members of the Conservative party either

Agree with all of that. Starmer is a highly impressive man. He skewers Johnson over and over. What a crazy country we live in that we have such a hugely unimpressive PM.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is probably going to be the easiest time for Starmer given that the media has decided to turn on Johnson and his advisers, and Labour’s strategy is to criticise rather than come up with solutions. That’s fair enough at the moment because the Govt needs to be challenged.

Starmer’s popularity is gaining momentum by not doing anything wrong. The real test will come when he has to explain how his policies will work.

Boris is getting a kick in from all angles. Is it justified? Depends if you believe the Guardian or the Telegraph, and his Covid advisers.

I think the reason the media has turned is we are now at a stage where the current situation is down to mistakes. The investigation by Sky yesterday (on Tube) about care homes is shocking.

All Starmer has done is read out the government advice they read out in the programme. No discussion on why the advice was given like that at the time, no attempt to defend the advice on the basis is was the best known at time.

All Boris can say is that isn't true.

This is one of the worst performances of a PM at PMQ for years.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Boris Johnson has only ever been about slogans and headlines. He cannot deal with details.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Very much this...........all you need to look good against BJ atm is to have a couple of (prepared) forensic questions, stay calm, and keep going back to the question when he (inevitably) fails to answer it. Any decent sixth form debating society member could cut through the bluster.................it's basically a series of free hits. Much bigger test to come for Starmer if/when he has to start developing policy, but that's a way off - for the time being he can and will continue to rip BJ a new one - the joys of being in opposition. It's about time there was a decent opposition.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

Maybe they should look to the Cabinet to see what other frontbenchers have the experience to face Starmer

Gove or Truss anyone ?

_110904512_experience-nc.png

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
**** me. Boris Alexander De Pfeffel Johnson is Prime Minister. A man who intentionally messes his hair up before being on camera, and waffles in latin for no discernible reason.

And Rory Stewart is the "weird one.

What has Johnson to do with it? I am simply suggesting Rory Stewart is a little weird.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sorry but disagree and sums up our politics and media. I am no BJ fan but think they have and are doing there best in very unusual circumstances. Coronavirus is not political and should not be treated as such. All politicians and media just want to score points. BJ criticised for not trying to come out of lockdown and same when he does. He is In a no win situation

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

This. If you've ever had any dealings with a top barrister then you realise that these are seriously clever people. Johnson is not a seriously clever person. He's just a bullshitter. He doesn't stand a chance and it is quite marvellous to watch the unravelling of his Emperor's New Clothes political persona.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Steve Barclay has been very quiet after his job in ensuring the delivery of Brexit, Bobby Jenrick also seems to be a rising star in the party.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
This - if it forces the Tories away from populists and towards competents, that is good for everyone.

Starmer v Stewart or Sunak and I don't think I'd actually mind too much who won, in the grand scheme of things.

Unfortunately, in the grand scheme of things, the activities of the ruling party since 2015, and the absence of any sort of opposition, means that the whole country has lost. Those younger than me will suffer most, and have to pick up the tab.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Johnson is a shambles!

His sole purpose was to head Brexit which, right or wrong he did. Now we really need a leader for the country and BJ is so far out of his depth its embarrasing

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here