Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Turbo roundabouts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just imagine the CARnage if we (very much myself included) had to know which junction we needed to leave the roundabout, before arriving at it.

The main difference between an ordinary roundabout and a turbo-roundabout is that drivers have to choose their direction before they enter the roundabout circle. Each direction has a separate route on the circle. Weaving from one lane to the other is impossible due to ridges between the lanes. It is also not possible to drive around in circles on a turbo-roundabout. At one point your lane will automatically force you to leave the roundabout. With the potential weaving conflicts out of the way the vehicle throughput increases, but that and the multiple lanes make it undesirable to have level crossings with cycling or walking.

Here's the full blog from where that came but it does only serve as proof that I am the boringest man alive, if you're having trouble sleeping tonight, this might come in handy:-

https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/...ut-in-rosmalen/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
isnt that normal roundabout etiquette?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
isnt that normal roundabout etiquette?
Good point well made, especially, as we all know, drivers are infallible.

That aside, wee-wee poor roundabout etiquette must add a serious amount of time to our journeys.

The thought of us West Sussex residents having to be so precise at roundabouts did make me smile.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Just imagine the CARnage if we (very much myself included) had to know which junction we needed to leave the roundabout, before arriving at it.

Just imagine the carnage if everyone enters a roundabout dithering about because they don't know which exit they need or which lane they need to be in, then they make last-second snap decisions that cause them to change lane and cut across other traffic.

Shouldn't having a clue where you are going be a prerequisite of being allowed out on the road in the first place?

Those roundabouts have been pretty standard here for years and I have never seen 'carnage' anywhere.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
In lockdown most roundabouts seem to be 'turbo' anyway, with drivers assuming there is no other traffic and attempting to break the land speed record while driving around them.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I'd just be happy to see some roundabouts here in Japan instead of having to stop at traffic lights every few hundred metres! :tantrum:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd just be happy to see some roundabouts here in Japan instead of having to stop at traffic lights every few hundred meters! :tantrum:

Just get a bicycle!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In lockdown most roundabouts seem to be 'turbo' anyway, with drivers assuming there is no other traffic and attempting to break the land speed record while driving around them.

Yeh, if you have to drop below 5th gear, you need to grow a pair if you ask me

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given that we can now drive anywhere in England with the restrictions lifted, I'm now off to see how this turbo idea works on the magic roundabout by Swindon's ground, should be fun.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

The main difference between an ordinary roundabout and a turbo-roundabout is that drivers have to choose their direction before they enter the roundabout circle. Each direction has a separate route on the circle. Weaving from one lane to the other is impossible due to ridges between the lanes. It is also not possible to drive around in circles on a turbo-roundabout. At one point your lane will automatically force you to leave the roundabout. With the potential weaving conflicts out of the way the vehicle throughput increases, but that and the multiple lanes make it undesirable to have level crossings with cycling or walking.

Here's the full blog from where that came but it does only serve as proof that I am the boringest man alive, if you're having trouble sleeping tonight, this might come in handy:-

https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/...ut-in-rosmalen/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This is already the case for a large number of roundabouts especially the ones with traffic light systems. Granted they dont have ridges but the combined ire of fellow drivers and markings result in the same.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
If only someone could educate Spanish drivers how to correctly use a roundabout. They drive, and are still taught to, to take the outside lane at a roundabout and stick to it irrespective of what exit junction they need even if it's a 2 or 3 lane roundabout. If you're local you know what to expect but holiday visitors from any other country quite often end up in accidents, near misses and cases of road rage.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If only someone could educate Spanish drivers how to correctly use a roundabout. They drive, and are still taught to, to take the outside lane at a roundabout and stick to it irrespective of what exit junction they need even if it's a 2 or 3 lane roundabout. If you're local you know what to expect but holiday visitors from any other country quite often end up in accidents, near misses and cases of road rage.

The main problem I tend to have in Spain is that the roads are pretty good but the signage is appalling! Well apart from those giant raised crossing which take the bottom of the car off, or is that only in Andalucia?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
The main problem I tend to have in Spain is that the roads are pretty good but the signage is appalling! Well apart from those giant raised crossing which take the bottom of the car off, or is that only in Andalucia?

The only time I've driven in Spain (which was quite a while ago now, admittedly), the only road signage I saw was telling you when you could and couldn't overtake. Needless to say, the Spanish drivers ignored them.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre

Ah..the giant slow down humps you mean? Yes, many of them are rather over the top, but I'd rather them then the hard rubber/plastic ones that are the cheap alternative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here