Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] May 12th, 1994. Is this where it all went wrong?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
John Smith, the best Prime Minister we never had.

john-smith.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He would have been elected. Although I suspect not with such a big majority as Blair. Murdoch wouldn't have allowed that.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The Tories were on their last legs and Major won by default, really. I thought Smith was one of the most impressive politicians in my lifetime and given the chance, would have been a very good PM. Blair may have emerged as a high flyer but not as a future PM. Smith's death was tragic and coupled with the earlier loss of the talented and personable David Penhaligon ( certain future Liberal leader ) politics lost two men who would have made a serious mark on affairs in the 90's and 00's.

D

Deleted member 2719

Not sure about Smith passing being the problem, I tend to lean more towards the Chinese.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you want to know who will make their move to topple Boris then look very close to him now. They’ll bide their time. You can only challenge once ...they won’t break rank yet.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
26 years ago, how can that be ! UK politics would have been a different story.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Agreed, a great politician. Puts most of today's to shame. He would surely have become PM.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Smith would’ve won the 1997 general election with ease, Major’s government were hopeless (other than the excellent Ken Clarke and his economic stewardship), the party split down the middle.

I wish people wouldn’t rate the power of Murdoch as so decisive. He only switched to supporting New Labour when he saw it was highly likely. At most, it added some seats.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great man. But still, Mr Tony kept the tories at bay for 10 years and you can't turn back the clock.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Great man. But still, Mr Tony kept the tories at bay for 10 years and you can't turn back the clock.

I thought Mr “Public School” Tony was a Tory !
Great leader, he led the whole country up the garden path, across the channel, through Europe and into Iraq......

That went well

Smith was the real deal, and had my vote, not Blair ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here