Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] The Driving Test and Major and Minor faults.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I believe in the road driving test you are allowed Six Minor faults but stand to be corrected if so what is decreed a major from a minor fault ? Take this you are driving down a road/street on the Left hand side where there are two turns to the Left both almost on top of each other (say five metres) separates the two turns and we have a situation like this in Leek and you see no end of driver's indicate Left before the first Left but take the second Left turn,surely that has to be a Major along with no signal at a Roundabout along with 'holding' the vehicle at a STOP junction with the foot brake only ? Over to you wiser scribes. :bigwave:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I believe in the road driving test you are allowed Six Minor faults but stand to be corrected if so what is decreed a major from a minor fault ? Take this you are driving down a road/street on the Left hand side where there are two turns to the Left both almost on top of each other (say five metres) separates the two turns and we have a situation like this in Leek and you see no end of driver's indicate Left before the first Left but take the second Left turn,surely that has to be a Major along with no signal at a Roundabout along with 'holding' the vehicle at a STOP junction with the foot brake only ? Over to you wiser scribes. :bigwave:

If they're that close together I wouldn't have thought it would be a minor, let alone a major. It would surely be more dangerous to only indicate 4-5 metres before a junction?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I see it as a major in as much as say you were stood at the side of the second left turn you might start to cross the road either side believing that the vehicle was going down the first left ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Here is what the Driving Test People say

A major fault, officially known as a serious fault, is something potentially dangerous to you, the examiner, other people or public property. (You're not allowed any majors).

A minor fault, officially known as a driving fault, is an issue with your driving which, nonetheless, isn’t potentially dangerous. However, if you repeat this type of fault, it could become a major fault. (You're allowed up to 15 minors)

In the two junctions situation

If you're going first junction, just signal and do it.
If you're going for the second, I would suggest that if there are no pedestrians or vehicles at either junction, indicating a little early wouldn't be an error at all. If there is something at either junction, I would think you would have to slow and signal at (ie next to and not before) or after (if room) the first junction. I think the key thing would be recognising the potential danger and slowing right down.

I would certainly think that indicating early for 2nd junction if there is a vehicle or pedestrian at first junction would be a major.

(And I think stopping at a STOP sign on footbrake would be fine, as long as the wheels definitely stop turning - it's not a give way)

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I see it as a major in as much as say you were stood at the side of the second left turn you might start to cross the road either side believing that the vehicle was going down the first left ?

Then the driver would slow down to enable you to continue to cross the road.

Major faults are basically something which involves actual danger to the driver, the examiner, the public or property or something potentially dangerous.

Everything else would be a minor fault, so taking the second left rather than the first left would be a minor fault. I would also say that the early use of a signal would also be a minor fault. As a pedistrian I would not cross a road if a car was signalling until I was sure it was actually crossing, so no danger involved.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On my first (failed test) and going up a hill the tester told me to take the next right, .it turned out to be a one way street from the other end! *******, I failed.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill

My daughter took her test in February and at that time you were allowed up to 15 minors and no majors for a pass.
She only got 1 minor which was when she stalled the car when pulling away.
She failed her first test with 1 major which was failing to check her door mirror when pulling across to the right hand lane on entering a roundabout.
Hope this helps a little?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Then the driver would slow down to enable you to continue to cross the road.

Major faults are basically something which involves actual danger to the driver, the examiner, the public or property or something potentially dangerous.

Everything else would be a minor fault, so taking the second left rather than the first left would be a minor fault. I would also say that the early use of a signal would also be a minor fault. As a pedistrian I would not cross a road if a car was signalling until I was sure it was actually crossing, so no danger involved.

As my old driving instructor said to me many years ago, and it applies to pedestrians as well, "All a flashing indicator on a car means is that a bulb is working, never assume".

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

You cannot class yourself as a proper driver until you've passed your test and driven in Bexhill.
ROSPA base their tests on this town :D

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
As my old driving instructor said to me many years ago, and it applies to pedestrians as well, "All a flashing indicator on a car means is that a bulb is working, never assume".

Good post,because as my late mother often said 'at a pedestrian crossing I Have Right of Way' and her first foot on the crossing meant everything had to stop,didn't what was was coming 'i have right of way'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here