Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone know the Club's view on changing an OAP season ticket due to the risk?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I know I could ask the club myself but why bother when there's only two choices in modern life, for literally anything, of IDK Ask Google or IDK Ask NSC.

Friend who sits next to me is over 65 and confirmed as high risk category by the Government. Renewed his season ticket in March. Of course a covid vaccination is unlikely they say for another year or so. So that would suggest attending any Albion games in that period as too risky?

I know people are saying on here that they were #7000 on the waiting list and bought a season ticket recently. I'm wondering whether we could upgrade OAP to Adult like we were able to in the good ol days, so that a friend can take it over? If not, anyone know if the club will accept a cancellation and refund of that ticket on the grounds of age and high risk category? (pretty good reason I think).

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
They refused to allow my dad to do that a couple of years ago - as he lives in Ireland and can't make every game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I know I could ask the club myself but why bother when there's only two choices in modern life, for literally anything, of IDK Ask Google or IDK Ask NSC.

Friend who sits next to me is over 65 and confirmed as high risk category by the Government. Renewed his season ticket in March. Of course a covid vaccination is unlikely they say for another year or so. So that would suggest attending any Albion games in that period as too risky?

I know people are saying on here that they were #7000 on the waiting list and bought a season ticket recently. I'm wondering whether we could upgrade OAP to Adult like we were able to in the good ol days, so that a friend can take it over? If not, anyone know if the club will accept a cancellation and refund of that ticket on the grounds of age and high risk category? (pretty good reason I think).

Erm although you’ve said google or NSC ..this has to be one about asking the club and nowhere else ..best of luck

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah the club won't let you change an OAP ticket to Adult if the ticket holder is in the OAP bracket. Nor will they let you transfer this to someone you know. I know of same situation with someone who's dad couldn't go every game so they used share the ticket between family members when the dad couldn't go. When he became an OAP this effectively meant they lost the dads ticket to be shared and when the dad couldn't go + per match upgrades had been used up they were stuck.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I suspect the current position is: games will be behind closed doors all the while there is a risk, so no one can use the ticket. Their position will be reviewed when restrictions on mass gatherings are lifted, and any such restrictions are no longer in place.

I mean, if mass gatherings are banned until a vaccine is in place and no restrictions are in place, your friend may not want to exchange, and if they still do despite the vaccine and low risk, it would be their choice and the standard policy would be in effect. If mass gatherings are permitted, but over 65s banned from attending, then the club would have to review their policy but may nly be a refund/discount on next season's tickets.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This is daft. Surely an Adult ST is a higher price than an OAP ST. Therefore more money for the club if they can charge for an adult ticket than an OAP one.

Not like Barber to miss out on cashing in on a money-making opportunity.

You would have thought that given the exceptional circumstances that the club would be more flexible when situations like this arise. Disappointing but, let's be honest, unsurprising.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I suspect that the club will have to tread very carefully in this regard given the demographic of a large part of our support. It will all become clearer towards the point when fans are allowed back. As that could be at least a year away the solution is probably not to renew next year.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This is daft. Surely an Adult ST is a higher price than an OAP ST. Therefore more money for the club if they can charge for an adult ticket than an OAP one.

You would have thought that given the exceptional circumstances that the club would be more flexible when situations like this arise. Disappointing but, let's be honest, unsurprising.

If all you're looking at is the money, sure. But how would you feel if you've been waiting for a couple of season for a season ticket, but your some JCL jumps ahead of you because his mate's dad doesn't want to go any more? Maybe some will be ok with it, but there will be a lot of people who see that as unfair.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Only the club will be able to answer and with the waiting list disappearing ?, you never know.

In fact, if there is no waiting list then they can't claim someone else has priority on the seat.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It's about valuing those who have put their name on the list to wait for their opportunity to buy a season ticket, and not having someone just jump to the front of a queue because an existing ST holder wants to pass the ticket on to a mate.

However, it sounds like the current period of uncertainty may well mean that there is no current waiting list, so the club may be more amenable to facilitating this.

However 2, it may be the case that none of us can go and see games for some considerable time. I'd be inclined to hold onto the ticket until there is an indication we can return, and assess the risk at that point in time.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
How many people won't be able to afford a season ticket if their job or business goes pear shaped?

Could also effect 1901 renewals due June 2021

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'd hold on to the ticket. Good chance there will be no open stadiums for a good few months yet. I'm not sure how many games you can upgrade a ticket for but presume first seven game BCD's, next six you can upgrade leaves last six, which would be March 2021, for the OAP.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Sorry, just to add we don't wish to steal a seat of someone else who may want it - but there have been several mentions on here of people at the end or not even on the waiting list getting tickets recently, which would imply there is no waiting list? I suppose in retrospect I was interested more whether anyone has cancelled for next season due to age/high risk and whether the club allowed that after paying up in full in March.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A Toon view.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2020/05/mike-ashley-actions-looking-ever-more-embarrassing-as-brighton-make-their-move-newcastle-united/

Mike Ashley is clearly the ‘stand out’ football club owner in the Premier League.
Truly in a class of his own.
On Friday, he will insist on direct debits still being taken from thousands of Newcastle fans in advance payment towards 2020/21 season tickets. A season that nobody has a clue when it will start, then even less clue as to at what point, if any, in that season, fans will actually be allowed into matches. That is of course on top of taking via direct debit FULL advance payment in late March 2020 for 2020/21 season tickets from many fans."]Mike Ashley is clearly the ‘stand out’ football club owner in the Premier League.
Truly in a class of his own.
On Friday, he will insist on direct debits still being taken from thousands of Newcastle fans in advance payment towards 2020/21 season tickets. A season that nobody has a clue when it will start, then even less clue as to at what point, if any, in that season, fans will actually be allowed into matches. That is of course on top of taking via direct debit FULL advance payment in late March 2020 for 2020/21 season tickets from many fans.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Can't you still upgrade 6 games per season. Given the way we are going, the next 6 games with fans present will be done and dusted sometime in early 2022, there's a good chance of a vaccine being available.

Joking aside, I do think that fans being allowed to attend games and a vaccine being available will occur together because the first will be dependent on the second.

Think you have ***loads*** of time before a decision on this is required.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
No point in pursuing this until we know when us season ticket holders are likely to be back to the Amex to watch matches. We might not be allowed back until a vaccine is available anyway. My suggestion is cross this bridge we you come to it. Pretty sure the club will be reasonable given the circumstances.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Pretty sure the club will be reasonable given the circumstances.

Will be a big decision for Tony, I predict.

In the scenario where fans aren’t allowed back in grounds en masse until a vaccine is freely available (say a year from now - but :shrug: ), the club will have suffered a big drop in revenue (TV money, sponsors and match day), the waiting list for ST presumably disappeared, and (currently at least) the biggest cost by far - players wages - still intact, he’ll be looking at mahoosive personal cash injections to keep the club alive. In those circumstances, he may be inclined to be slightly less generous to STH. He may feel that the fans should bear part of the pain rather than look to him to bear all the cost.

Of course, he may be prepared to fund it all (again).

As I say, big decision incoming potentially.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Sorry, just to add we don't wish to steal a seat of someone else who may want it - but there have been several mentions on here of people at the end or not even on the waiting list getting tickets recently, which would imply there is no waiting list? I suppose in retrospect I was interested more whether anyone has cancelled for next season due to age/high risk and whether the club allowed that after paying up in full in March.

I think this may well be the case. New neighbour 2 doors down moved to area last summer and joined as a member in July and got offered a ST last month so the ST waiting list must have either already evaporated or many on the membership are just there for occasonal match purchases and possibly don't actually want a ST.

It's more than likely in the light of what is currently going on that we won't be back at the Amex anytime soon as can't see mass gatherings being sanctioned until next year or the point when a vaccine is found so the situation maybe taken out of your hands. At least if you email Paul Barber with your concern I'm pretty sure he will reply, as he's been brilliant in the past with most correspondence. Hope you get a suitable resolution.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Bozza and Acker79 have explained this succinctly. What's disappointing, but unsurprising, is that you have taken the opportunity to have a pop at Barber and the club without thinking. Seats are not in ownership of the season ticket holder and not freely transferable to the fan of their choice.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

There has been a shift in attitudes since we have been in the Premier League or were seriously in the mix for promotion to it. My youngest fell into the 18-21 group and went to Uni away from Brighton so for the first season the club were oh so nice and agreed to upgrade it to adult even congratulating him etc. Second season I rang up to to upgrade to adult, they initially said no but eventually agreed but refused to upgrade to adult the 3rd season even to the point of threatening to withdraw it if not attending but we found ways round that and kept it.

However at that time demand far outstripped supply which has clearly now changed so I would expect some sensible flexibility from the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here