Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Limits of the Government advice getting a bit tenuous?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Hancock got some tough questions from members of the public on bbc breakfast-

E.g. If I can have a childminder come into my house daily then why cant I have a family member do that to look after my children?

If I can meet one person I know outdoors in a public space with 2m respected, then why cant I meet them and do that outdoors in my back garden?

I appreciate they have to set limits somewhere but we are now at a point where people are being advised they can do lots of things like go to a garden centre, get on a train / tube to go to work etc, but are being restricted from spending time with friends and family in potentially lower risk settings.

I'm not sure these rules can be maintained / will be complied with for too long....

Worth watching Hancock struggle to justify the limits- from 1hr 30 in https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000j514/breakfast-12052020

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
We were discussing this how do you choose which parent to see flip a coin. So many questions not answered.

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
We were discussing this how do you choose which parent to see flip a coin. So many questions not answered.

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

You can see one, then see the other straight after. I guess the first one can just linger in the park before you swop :lolol:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Hancock got some tough questions from members of the public on bbc breakfast-

E.g. If I can have a childminder come into my house daily then why cant I have a family member do that to look after my children?

If I can meet one person I know outdoors in a public space with 2m respected, then why cant I meet them and do that outdoors in my back garden?

I appreciate they have to set limits somewhere but we are now at a point where people are being advised they can do lots of things like go to a garden centre, get on a train / tube to go to work etc, but are being restricted from spending time with friends and family in potentially lower risk settings.

I'm not sure these rules can be maintained / will be complied with for too long....

Worth watching Hancock struggle to justify the limits- from 1hr 30 in https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000j514/breakfast-12052020

Indeed, there are so many anomalies; I just hope it is all sorted out soonest.
We are desperate to see our 20 month old grandson, but unless we are allowed to see him without 'social distancing' , it isn't going to work, for all the obvious reasons.:down:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
You can see one, then see the other straight after. I guess the first one can just linger in the park before you swop :lolol:

I thought I heard that you need to allow 10 minutes between each "meeting" !!

It's all getting ridiculous - although I do appreciate that it's really tough to set out the rules. The government are, however, the architects of their own downfall here - they have constantly hidden behind the mantra of "following the science" without explaining clearly what that science is.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
This is what happens when governments try to micromanage everyone's lives. Someone will say "But what about...?" and the government will think, "oh yeah, we didn't consider that.'

They could issue fewer commands and tell people to use common sense, but they know that some people see government as surrogate parents and will flounder confused while other will seek out discrepancies and loopholes to use as weapons against a party they dislike.

It'd be the same whoever was in charge.

But whatever happened to "flatten the curve"? It's never mentioned now.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I thought I heard that you need to allow 10 minutes between each "meeting" !!

It's all getting ridiculous - although I do appreciate that it's really tough to set out the rules. The government are, however, the architects of their own downfall here - they have constantly hidden behind the mantra of "following the science" without explaining clearly what that science is.

From what I've seen and read it looks like this is the start of an experiment. The first step is to allow a small change to the lockdown rules and they will see what that does to the 'R' number. If it stays below 1 then they will relax the rules some more. The problem is that this will take some time - probably at least 2 weeks to collect and analyse the data. In the meantime people will grow more restless.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Problem is if people get it 'wrong' they might get fined by the Police.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This is what happens when governments try to micromanage everyone's lives. Someone will say "But what about...?" and the government will think, "oh yeah, we didn't consider that.'

They could issue fewer commands and tell people to use common sense, but they know that some people see government as surrogate parents and will flounder confused while other will seek out discrepancies and loopholes to use as weapons against a party they dislike.

You are spot on.

I'm not of any particular political party these days and actually didn't vote for the first time in my adult life in the last election. Too many threads are dominated by posters who have a gripe with the party in power and not what they are actually doing, it's getting tedious now and I've stopped posting against them as they are so blinkered (though never admit it, eh Clampy).

It's been such a difficult thing to manage as we would all like to believe that the public could reason with what is expected of them. Time and time again, not just the selfish, but frankly those of limited common sense has caused despair. The latest slogan is fine and really doesn't need further explanation, but the anti's raise stupid questions about it, aided and abetted by the media particularly the BBC, who I believe have acted disgracefully which some of their reporting.

There was reasoning behind the shutdown being delayed, along with the need for public to "agree" to the measures. It almost need the dramatic rise in deaths for some to comply. From then on the media along with some opposition politicians screaming out for a pathway to opening up, it became relentless and this gave some a justification to start ignoring the rules. I don't think the government had a choice but to start the process.

Johnson though has been awful in the last few days. I do question if he is actually very well, he was slurring last night and kept losing the thread of the conversation (more than usual).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Also, what happened to the 4 stage/phase plan to deal with the virus ?

They mentioned stage 1 a lot - and to be fair this was quite successful.

Then we were 'moving into stage 2'....

Then silence about it.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011

They do keep saying they expect people to use common sense.

But- in common sense terms, if I'm ok to meet my friend in public outdoors then I'm also ok to meet them in my garden. And if I can have a childminder look after my child it may be no higher risk to have a friend or family member to do so. And if I can meet one person at 2m distance then I am ok to meet 2 people in a 2m triangle arrangement! Etc.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
If as a person self isolating, a member of my family were to visit and stand outside my window and talk with the transom window open, would we be in breach of the lockdown rules ?

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The first cure was flattened but there is going to be a second and a third curve if people don't continue to 'stay alert'.

Using common sense is a good way of abdicating responsibility and blaming victims. Rees-Mogg said the Grenfell dead didn't use their common sense.

Pandemic 18-19.jpg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The first cure was flattened but there is going to be a second and a third curve if people don't continue to 'stay alert'.

Using common sense is a good way of abdicating responsibility and blaming victims. Rees-Mogg said the Grenfell dead didn't use their common sense.

View attachment 123502
I'd forgotten Mogg had said that. They had to hide him away for a while afterwards.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Using common sense is a good way of abdicating responsibility and blaming victims.

I don’t think any Coronavirus victims have been blamed. Well, Boris was by a few people, but in general they haven’t.

I think people realise that most of us will end up with this virus at some point. We know what precautions to take to improve our chances, hand-washing in the main, but other than becoming the Boy in the Plastic Bubble (bonus points for anyone getting that obscure reference) there’s only so much we can do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here