Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Plumbing advice please

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Hi, for the last week or so I have heard water trickling outside our bathroom. I could not trace or see where it could be coming from, then water started dripping from a gap in the guttering. I took a quick video using a selfie stick (as I have no ladders) and could see water coming out of a vent onto the tiles, this vent is in our loft. I saw what appears to be an overflow pipe going into the vent and the pipe comes from the boiler that is situated in the loft. So, could you please advise me if I urgently need the services of a plumber ( I'm guessing that the fact the overflow is working then there must be an issue with the boiler), or whether I need not panic and all will still be OK in the short term? The boiler is electric and I believe installed only a couple of years ago before we bought the property. There are no other leaks or issues that I can see. We are in Peacehaven so if any plumber wants to fix and service this then please Pm me.

Water coming from pipe in vent.
Screenshot_20200512_103614_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Pipe going in to vent.
IMG_20200512_103116.jpg

Boiler.
IMG_20200512_103040.jpg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You need someone that is qualified to work on unvented hot water storage systems
I no longer have this qualification, but I have a similar system and installed this type before.
Unfortunately whoever fitted this system, (from the photos I can see) is probably also not qualified IMO.
Look for someone with the correct qualifications to correct the fault and the work.

Sorry I cannot help any more than this.

D

Deleted member 2719

Sorry, I have no plumbing advice, but I now feel I know you a bit better because you own a selfie stick.
:wink:

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
You need someone that is qualified to work on unvented hot water storage systems
I no longer have this qualification, but I have a similar system and installed this type before.
Unfortunately whoever fitted this system, (from the photos I can see) is probably also not qualified IMO.
Look for someone with the correct qualifications to correct the fault and the work.

Sorry I cannot help any more than this.

Bugger, that doesn't sound good! Thanks for the reply I will have a look around and get a professional in.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What a bodge, try pavilion plumbing

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Where is the Tundish lol

I think it would be overflowing and flooding the place, there is so much wrong there. :eek:

I did the unvented course in the early 90s, at the time I was told the qualification would last for ever. Not sure when the rules got changed but I would have to go on another course and pay hundreds?? to install unvented again.
And people are fitting systems like this and getting away with it. :shrug:

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
Whoever fitted that has not got any unvented cylinder knowledge.
Plastic pressure relief pipe, no tundish and no 300mm. Etc etc
Unsurprisingly no installer information on the installation detail label either.
The leak is due to the either the combination valve or just the pressure relief valve is faulty.
Possibly due to faulty expansion vessel. Lost its charge pressure.
Not overly expensive to fix. But would cost more to actually put the installation right.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Whoever fitted that has not got any unvented cylinder knowledge.
Plastic pressure relief pipe, no tundish and no 300mm. Etc etc
Unsurprisingly no installer information on the installation detail label either.
The leak is due to the either the combination valve or just the pressure relief valve is faulty.
Possibly due to faulty expansion vessel. Lost its charge pressure.
Not overly expensive to fix. But would cost more to actually put the installation right.

I keep looking at the pressure relief pipe going into the tile vent and wondering what the hell went through their head to fit that.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Joking aside it looks from the photos one or both of the safety valves (red tops)is letting by.
The white plastic pipe should go down hill and run to a drain.
Once again going by the photos it looks like this pipe goes uphill and out of the roof.
If this pipe froze up you have a potential major hazard as there would nowhere for the water to expand.
I'm going on over forty years of plumbing & heating experience but we didn't fit many unvented systems.
Pavilion Plumbing - Charlie used to live next door to me and does all of my boilers.
I bow to anyone with better knowledge.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Joking aside it looks from the photos one or both of the safety valves (red tops)is letting by.
The white plastic pipe should go down hill and run to a drain.
Once again going by the photos it looks like this pipe goes uphill and out of the roof.
If this pipe froze up you have a potential major hazard as there would nowhere for the water to expand.
I'm going on over forty years of plumbing & heating experience but we didn't fit many unvented systems.
Pavilion Plumbing - Charlie used to live next door to me and does all of my boilers.
I bow to anyone with better knowledge.

Thanks. I had a chap come and take a look. I basically asked him to put it right. He's doing the job Thursday. The pressure relief valve ( I think ) needs replacing. He is also going to install a Tundish and sort out the drainage as well. Thanks all for your help.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
[MENTION=230]Rowdey[/MENTION] ???

Where is the Tundish lol

Been out all day and just seen this :rolleyes: - As others have said, bit of mess, where's the D2 etc :lol:

I'd have split the pipe to see if T&P or PRV, and pump up the EV as well (0.2bar below mains)

OP it seems you have got sorted, but if not BB Plumbing and Heating in Rotters will come out to see you.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Been out all day and just seen this :rolleyes: - As others have said, bit of mess, where's the D2 etc :lol:

I'd have split the pipe to see if T&P or PRV, and pump up the EV as well (0.2bar below mains)

OP it seems you have got sorted, but if not BB Plumbing and Heating in Rotters will come out to see you.

Well done [MENTION=230]Rowdey[/MENTION] thats lost 99% of DIY posters:lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

5 minute job then? :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here