Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Best And Worst Fans

el punal

Well as we are entering the final week (sort of!) of our third season in the Premier League here’s a thread to post your opinion on opposition fans. No, not how passionate or noisy they are backing their team during the game but how they came across to you as individuals be it in the pub, on a train, on the street or anywhere.

At Home - the best for me were the Sheffield United fans. Great to chat to, friendly, passionate and love us for our contempt for Wednesday - and they love Chris Wilder! The worst - Tottenham. What is it about their fans? Their sense of entitlement, their opinion that their club is far superior to any other on the planet. The belittling of clubs like us - “Yeah, well you ain’t Premier League.” Pah!

Travelling Away - best, by a country mile the Newcastle fans. The Geordies I was with really love their football, their team - if not their owner! On the two occasions I was up there to watch the Albion their fans would show their appreciation by praising our commitment to making such a l-o-n-g trip. Oh, and they still love Chris Hughton!
The worst? Yep, Spurs again. Last season I went to our do or die (nearly) fixture at their brand new impressive gaff. We clung on gamely to try and get a draw only to be beaten with a couple of minutes to go. Cue going home - Spurs fans “How can you watch that f***ing shit every week?” Because we are in a relegation battle and we need to scrap for every point was my reply. On the train home the same superior “you’re nothing, we’re in Europe” disdainful comments. Look at them now!

Honourable mentions for Liverpool, Man Utd and City fans and Stoke as well.

Dishonourable - Burnley, Chelsea, West Ham.

P.S. Crystal Palace do NOT count in any of this! :drink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good thread although I'm just going to (mostly) agree with you. Sheffield United were brilliant. Passionate about their own club and Wilder but humble enough to still be surprised at how it was going. We had a good chat with a big group going home from Falmer Station. It centred around Europa League. My opinion that playing on Thursday nights in the arseend of nowhere would be a bit of a pain was laughed off the train by them - they just saw it as another chance to go somewhere else in the world, get pissed and watch United. Fair play to them. I'm a bit gutted it may not happen.

Away was very surprised how welcoming Man United were. None of the billy big bollox of their plastic, shirt wearing, Essex dwelling armchair fans. We drank in their pub, they knew who we were and made us welcome (probably helped we were with a couple of local reds though). And a cracking night out afterwards. Best weekend away I've had with the Albion.

Edit - worst away (excluding Palace) - Southampton. Miserable and barely woke up until they scored. Sours at home was funny because I had two very obvious ones next to me. Might have over celebrated Connolley's goals :drink:

Last edited:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think Spurs fans are better than most in London, certainly Chelsea, boorish and racist in my experience. Arsenal entitled and West Ham, Cocky, violent and rude. However, surely everyones opinion will be different depending upon their own experience? Fans will be how they are as individuals not as a collective. Are all Brighton fans lovely affable chaps?

That said I kinda of agree where Burnley fans are concerned. Everyone I've ever met has had a huge chip on their shoulder about how much everyone else hates them etc etc. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan but bothered by them? That said they must've had Burnley in mind when the coined the phrase "It's grim up north" so maybe that's why...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think Spurs fans are better than most in London, certainly Chelsea, boorish and racist in my experience. Arsenal entitled and West Ham, Cocky, violent and rude. However, surely everyones opinion will be different depending upon their own experience? Fans will be how they are as individuals not as a collective. Are all Brighton fans lovely affable chaps?

That said I kinda of agree where Burnley fans are concerned. Everyone I've ever met has had a huge chip on their shoulder about how much everyone else hates them etc etc. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan but bothered by them? That said they must've had Burnley in mind when the coined the phrase "It's grim up north" so maybe that's why...

I work in Tottenham, at least I usually do when not in lockdown, and I tend to agree with you. There are quite a few Spurs fans in my office, and they're all pretty decent chaps.

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
All of them have good & bad fans. I often think away games bring out the worst in our own fans. Somehow they turn into total dicks on away trips.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Can’t stand Tottenham or their fans. Obviously this is a generalisation, but they come across as entitled and unpleasant.

Newcastle are good supporters, noisy in the ground and on the bus there.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Haven't been away for a while (not in the Premier League era) so can only comment on fans at Amex.

Three years running I've found Everton fans to be alright. Not ********s like their Liverpool neighbours. Loved their team, but loved talking about football, not condescending, just knowledgeable and interested in their opponents.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
While Arsenal and Spurs fans have, for me, been the most entitled I've come across, they are at least big clubs in massive stadia competing in Europe. West Ham fans are not very far below them on the "entitled" scale with no good reason for them to be regarded as being as big as they claim.

One thing I've established is there is a vast difference in the way actual fans act in real life and the online "fan clubs" you get. I know a few Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs fans personally and they're brilliant, and indeed one United guy in the office actually was delighted for us when we beat them in that first season to stay up.Online, however, those four are probably among the worst as a group.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Haven't been away for a while (not in the Premier League era) so can only comment on fans at Amex.

Three years running I've found Everton fans to be alright. Not ********s like their Liverpool neighbours. Loved their team, but loved talking about football, not condescending, just knowledgeable and interested in their opponents.

Different experiences for different people, I'm sure it was posted on here where an Everton fan spouted "Can't believe we lost to that bunch of p##fs" upon leaving the stadium.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Thinking back over the last few seasons it's been West Ham fans who've been the most humourless and nasty, usually as we beat them I suppose. But I've seen Arsenal and Spuds fans being c*cks as well so maybe it's a London thing. Best fans at an away game were Liverpool; no problem at all in their pubs - they wanted to talk to me.

Last edited:

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Different experiences for different people, I'm sure it was posted on here where an Everton fan spouted "Can't believe we lost to that bunch of p##fs" upon leaving the stadium.

Very true...………….and the actual time you spoke to said fans!! Before and after the game there is going to be a big difference.

Just found 3 times Everton fans unlike some of the d1cks we've had down our way in the Premier League. But it's all subjective, I totally agree

P.S. If we are on the subject of the dead beat London fans we so 'love', a special mention surely must go to our friends from Millwall, both home and away.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think a lot of clubs have some shitty fans - if you take social media for example, then even some of the Sheff Utd fans in recent days have completely forgotten they're still a small club punching above their weight. Liverpool fans are of course top of the league for being arrogant arses.
Arsenal fans are cute when they're trying to be relevant, but they've had nothing to crow about for some time now. Man Utd similarly.

At least none of them are as bad as Palace though.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
This reminds me of the last game of season 2017/18 (we were at Anfield). As all the games KO'd simultaneously there were a lot of fans on the road, in particular at the M6 toll services.
Brighton. Average age 50 looking for the toilets.
Everton. Quiet.
Man Utd. All spoke with a west county accent. Going to OT.
All of us in splendid sunshine chatting about football. No problems at all.
Then Liverpool arrived, again driving up from the south. Loud, rude and drunk. The only coaches with alcohol, and lots of it.

Shout to the Sheffield fans the other week. Some great pubs and wonderful chat with them. Plus the 'tap' bar at Sheffield station. No colours allowed but full of fans from all over and not a single bad word and we all knew who was who.
All this good stuff is giving football a bad name!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Leicester have always been good and not taken their success for granted. Whenever I have talked to their fans I have been impressed with their knowledge and loyalty. I've never heard any homophobic comments from them inside or outside a ground. Even their hooligan firm - The Baby Squad - were a decent bunch when they took over the Flying Scotsman at Kings Cross many years ago.

I hope they make the Champions League and eventually get to play in it again, whenever that may be.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The Wolves lads I got chatting to were decent fellas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here