Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Celebrating the amazing early (up to Joshua Tree) music of U2 and Bono

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To follow from [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION]'s interesting thread, I saw these at Jenkinson's in 81, after hearing them on John Peel. They were the first new rock band after the hiatus that began in 76 when punk made all that Whitesnake and other dull cock rock redundant.

But those of us who liked a clean riff, a heroic vocal and a Steve Lillywhite production were swept away by the New Sound of U2.

Here are two of my favourites. Post your faves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVxzTb1ippM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajhOjFwuddQ

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can we stretch this out to Zooropa? I want to include the excellent Lemon.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Haven't listened to it for decades, but back in the early 80s played it multiple times daily.

Saw them at the Top rank on the War tour. They were amazing to see live, but in truth I was beginning to fall out of love with them.

However this song is still very close to my heart

Jul 7, 2003
Could have been a great rock band but disappeared up their own backsides in my opinion.

Of course, I am not the multi-millionaire Bono with tens of millions of album sales so what do I know:whistle:

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Looking at Bono now, in fact for the last 30 odd years, and what an insufferable tit he's become, it's easy to forget what an incredibly powerful act they were live back in the day. I had the pleasure of seeing them live in 1985 and 1986. Bono had an amazing ability to make you feel like you were the only person in the audience. Gloria, in te domine... Gloria, exulta te.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Played this album to death, but this is my favourite.
First came across U2, when camping out at Ashburnham and Greenbelt.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Elvis Presley And America was superb but if I was to pick two best tracks from that era they would be:

Spanish Eyes
Heartlands

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
To follow from [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION]'s interesting thread, I saw these at Jenkinson's in 81, after hearing them on John Peel. They were the first new rock band after the hiatus that began in 76 when punk made all that Whitesnake and other dull cock rock redundant.

Pendant alert, not that I'm a fan of Whitesnake, but that's not actually true as they did not form until 78 and most of their hits were in the 80s.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Could have been a great rock band but disappeared up their own backsides in my opinion.

Of course, I am not the multi-millionaire Bono with tens of millions of album sales so what do I know:whistle:

Yes, pretty much sums it up for me. Great band up to and including The Joshua Tree.

Judging from posts on this thread looks like we agree that Under a Blood Red Sky is a stunning live album. Not just the audio but the concert itself with the Red Rocks amphitheatre, the mist and rain, and the flames.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
U2 at school in 1978...

u2-1978.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I did like Achtung Baby, but got dragged along to watch them at Wembley. I've hated them ever since.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Bit unfair. Obviously have issues with disappearing up their own backside......but at one point they were leading the pack globally.
You have to give credit where its due for a performance at live aid that was something very special and pretty much iconic.

The Unforgettable Fire is one of my fav albums from the 80`s.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here