Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Plumbing help pleeeeeeeease!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Dearest plumbing advisors, yesterday my relatively new basin mixer tap was gushing water at full pelt even when in the off position. I turned off the isolation valves, only one, the cold one, turned it off completely. Luckily I had a spare tap and it looked simple enough to replace, so I did which fixed the constant running water problem, but now no hot water is coming through. Even when I disconnect the flexible hot feed pipe at the isolation valve, no water comes through the valve. I'm sure the water pissing out previously was warm though. Should I replace the isolation valve, or would it be an air lock further back? Any advice on what to do to get the hot water back would be much appreciated.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm confused already :shrug:

1- Have you got a hot water cylinder?
2- What did you actually turn off other than isolation valves?
3- Do you have water coming out of the hot taps elsewhere in your property ( when you turn them on I mean )

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I'm confused already :shrug:

1- Have you got a hot water cylinder?
2- What did you actually turn off other than isolation valves?
3- Do you have water coming out of the hot taps elsewhere in your property ( when you turn them on I mean )

Hot water is fine elsewhere. I didn't turn anything else off. The only problem I have now is that no water is coming through the hot water pipe. It's not the tap because when I disconnect it and open the isolation valve on the hot water feed, no water comes through the valve. (No hot water cylinder)

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Yeah sounds a bit confusing

Does sound like an air lock, I take it it’s a monobloc basin tap?
If so , put your hand over the outlet of the tap open both the hot and cold, the cold should then back flow through the hot and hopefully clear any air lock.

Just read your post, forget the above if you haven’t got a cylinder

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Hot water is fine elsewhere. I didn't turn anything else off. The only problem I have now is that no water is coming through the hot water pipe. It's not the tap because when I disconnect it and open the isolation valve on the hot water feed, no water comes through the valve. (No hot water cylinder)

You need a short piece of hose, fit a small piece of copper or plastic pipe ( 15MM ) into the hose, then connect this to the isolation valve with a nut and olive from any 15mm compression fitting.
Put the other end of the hose into a bucket and fully open the valve, if you haven't got any of the above use a spare flexible connector if you have this.

If no water comes out I would say the hot isolation valve is jammed closed, or something is suck inside the valve like a some solder.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
You need a short piece of hose, fit a small piece of copper or plastic pipe ( 15MM ) into the hose, then connect this to the isolation valve with a nut and olive from any 15mm compression fitting.
Put the other end of the hose into a bucket and fully open the valve, if you haven't got any of the above use a spare flexible connector if you have this.

If no water comes out I would say the hot isolation valve is jammed closed, or something is suck inside the valve like a some solder.

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll give it a go. :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I bow to OP's knowledge of plumbing repairs. If the same happened to me during lockdown I'd be essentially f***ed. Can't imagine I'd be the only one. Begs the question: do emergency plumbers, emergency locksmiths etc still operate during lockdown, anyone know?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I bow to OP's knowledge of plumbing repairs. If the same happened to me during lockdown I'd be essentially f***ed. Can't imagine I'd be the only one. Begs the question: do emergency plumbers, emergency locksmiths etc still operate during lockdown, anyone know?

I'm not an emergency plumber but I have been doing essential repairs, toilets not flushing and small leaks etc.
I haven't been out working as normal and haven't had as much as a phone call on some days.

The people I have worked for have kept out of the way when I've been to their homes, and I have asked in advance if they are well.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

From my understanding, if it is essential work then yes - and as long as the person doing the work (the plumber etc) are happy to do so and social-distancing rules are adhered to.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

Yep, what with homes/boilers/shower etc are being used more than ever i'm back up to 5 days a week doing boiler breakdowns, leaks and emergency's, but have parked off fitting new boilers for past 6 weeks.

All boiler manufacturers have group service covering any warranty breakdowns too.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I had a plumber round to fix a macerator problem a couple of weeks ago. He said they are doing emergencies and repairs, but not routine jobs like boiler servicing. He had a big mask and kept social distance but otherwise no issues about coming round.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I had a plumber round to fix a macerator problem a couple of weeks ago. He said they are doing emergencies and repairs, but not routine jobs like boiler servicing. He had a big mask and kept social distance but otherwise no issues about coming round.

It's a difficult one for me to go out to jobs.

I have had asthma all my life, it's nowhere near as bad now as when I was a kid, but obviously I'm worried about catching the virus.
I also have spent many years building up a business and I have many local customers. I don't want to let down customers or lose them.
I think many people are being sensible and not asking for non essential work.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I think a mask would be need if dealing with a macerator (certain types!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here